“Out of 5 STARS...I'd give it 10!”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites San Antonio-Downtown Market Area
Ranked #171 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed October 9, 2009

I traveled with my Senior Citizen mom, my 24 year old daughter and my 18 year old daughter. This was the PERFECT hotel for us. The suite had a separete living room with pull-out couch and television, fridge and microwave. The door could be pulled shut between the bedroom and living area. The girls wanted to stay up late, and they could without disturbing Mom and me. Mom wakes up EARLY for coffee, so she was agle to get up, have her coffee, watch television and read a complimentary USA Today without disturbing the rest of us. The price was reasonable, the staff was friendly, continental breakfast was free and the beds were VERY comfortable! It's a great place to stay.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
ttribby, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites San Antonio-Downtown Market Area, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2010

Thank you for your review and feedback.
We use your your review to enhance & improve our service and product.
We strive hard to create a "memorable" experience for our guests.
Please call us the next time you plan to visit San Antonio. Let us make your
reservations.

Reviewed October 6, 2009

I have been traveling to San Antonio for the past six years, and i have always chose the Holiday Inn Down Town Market Area simply because each and every experience has been a pleasure, The staff has always gone the extra mile to assure my needs were met. The rooms are always clean and properly staffed. The location provides easy access to just about anywhere you need to go. This location will continue to get all my business when traveling to the area. When i book this hotel, i know i will get the best value and customer service each and everytime!!
Jim Skelton

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business

Thank you for the review & feedback.
We use your words to enhance & improve our product & service.
Please let us make your reservations, the next time you plan to visit San Antonio.
Thank you again for the great review!

Reviewed August 7, 2009

The rooms are huge with 2 queen beds and 2 TVs. The pool was decent size and refreshing for July in Texas. The breakfast was fantastic, but a bit crowded a few of the days. You can catch a trolley a few blocks away or walk to the river about 3 blocks away and follow it downtown. The hotel was clean and comfortable. If there was a downside, it would be that the A/C did not kick butt, but it was sufficient. And, the breakfast was a zoo 2 of the 4 days we stayed there. I would stay there again for sure. Parking was not a problem. We found a spot every night in the lot.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family

Thank you for the review and comments.
We use your feedback to enhance our product & service.
We appreciate your business!
Please let us make your reservations the next time you plan to visit San Antonio.

Reviewed June 27, 2009

Originally booked at a Microtel, but room was terrible. Called Holiday Inn and got a room right away. Room was GREAT. Location was good for us. Service was excellent (Priority Club member). Came into town for nephew's Grad. This trip was made better by our stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family

Thank you for your review & feedback.
We use your words & thoughts to enhance our service & product.
We appreciate your candor.
Thank you again for your business!

Reviewed May 1, 2009

There are several Holiday Inns surrounding downtown San Antonio. This one was probably the farthest walking distance, from what I could see, and the location is the beginning of an industrious area, right in front of the freeway, so we were occassionally woken up by large trucks or Harleys. But when my husband made the comment of wishing we were staying on the Riverwalk I stated that we would have had to pay twice as much for half the room and he then agreed, for us we did the best thing. For our family, the size of our room was very comfortable. We really appreciated the two room look as well as two QUEEN beds and the sofa bed. But if you can get the same a little closer to the Riverwalk, I would reccomend you do that.
Our taxi driver from the airport, stated that he would be happy to take us to Sea World the next day and as we left our room at 9:00am, he was waiting outside for us. This saved us the possiblity of getting lost, the $13 parking fee at Sea World as well as the long walk from the parking area. We did a lot of walking during our trip, for the Riverwalk and the Alamo, which was enjoyable. We spent one day seeing the Bridge Caverns as well as driving the safari, next door (Highly recommend both!) and rented a car for one day, from Enterprise to do that. Unless you get a sweet deal for a rental car, this saved us a lot of money rather than renting a car for our entire trip.
We were happy with breakfast, and the sweet lady (I think Gladys) worked very hard to try to keep up with keeping everything stocked. The front desk always appeared happy to help also. I specifically asked to stay on the main floor so I wouldn't have to deal with the slow elevator, something I'm glad I did.
If I had one main complaint it was housekeeping. When we first entered our room, everything looked decent. The beds are very comfortable! But the floor wasn't vacuumed very well. Then that night the kids ate a small bag of potato chips and the few crumbs from that were still on the floor the next day, along with what was on the floor when we first arrived. We came in late and got up early the next day so I didn't say anything. When we came in our second night, to the same, very obvious, several, small messes still all over the floor, I borrowed a vacuum from the front desk and vacuumed myself! It made all the difference! It was obvious that room hadn't been vacummed for a while and it felt 10 times cleaner after I gave it a good vacuuming. The next day we slept in and kept a do not disturb sign on our door until 10:15am. Then when we left at 10:15, I changed the sign to "Housekeeping Please". We came in that night to find out that housekeeping never showed. I guess 10:15 is too late to be asking for housekeeping.
Also we asked for an extra blanket and throw. The throw given to us at the front desk was covered with what looked like a spilled pizza. The blanket had what looked like a fresh urine stain. Definately neither had been put in the washing machine yet, and both made me pretty sick.
Lastly, (if you're still reading) be careful when you book a Holiday Inn. Because there are so many you can think you are going to be at one and end up at a different one. Look twice if you get on holidayinn.com and make sure you are booking the one you want to be staying at. The site has the locations close together and easy to mix up.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family

Thank you for your review & feedback.
We use your comments to enhance our service & product.
We are sorry your stay was disappointing.
Please call us the next time you plan to visit San Antonio.
You will be pleased to see new things at the Holiday Inn Express!

Reviewed December 1, 2008

I stayed at this HIE for 13 days in early November. It was clean, quiet and fairly well maintained. Staff was friendly and I heard them assisting many with directions and recommendations.

Pros
Nice value, easy access to downtown & Market area
Easy on & off highway
I had a King Suite, very nice size
Excellent water pressure

Cons
Breakfast was iffy; eggs tasted like too much water was mixed in them before scarmbling most days
Immediate surrounding area was mostly warehouse, small businesses. You could walk in the day to the Market area, but some may feel uncomfortable because it is a bit deserted. Transit to downtown & Riverwalk was about 1 1/2 block walk.

I had a very strange occurrence. My first day, they had no shampoo for the room. The clerk check some unoccupied rooms, but said they had already borrowed from Peter to pay Paul, so he didn't expect to find any. The 2nd day, still no shampoo to be had!!

Overall. not a bad stay, some bumps in the road, but comfortable and always clean.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
Management response:Responded 3 weeks ago

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at Holiday Inn Express SAN ANTONIO-DTWN MARKET AREA.

Please know that your feedback is extremely valuable to us. We use feedback, such as yours, to continuously make changes to our brand to improve the guest experience. We noticed you made your accommodations through a third party website and it was reserved as a standard room. When making reservations as a standard room it creates a reservation that will occupy what the hotel has available at the time of check-in. We apologize for any confusion this may have caused. Also we are sorry if the elevator was not working properly. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Reviewed July 28, 2008

I was a little leary of staying here after I read the last posting however, I am glad I did. The hotel accomodations and staff are great. The weekned I stayed, the hotel was full each day. Nevertheless, they had plenty of everything. The only thing that I could say negative is that they probably need more than one elevator because it is slow. however, this was not much of a problem for me because my room was on the second floor and I took the stairs. The exercise was good for me. I recommend the hotel for the price and because of its location.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Management response:Responded 3 weeks ago

Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know how we did during your stay! We hope to see you again in your future travels!