“Good Value, Clean ; Breakfast jsut OK, surrounding area not great”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites San Antonio-Downtown Market Area
Ranked #154 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Hudson Valley
“Good Value, Clean ; Breakfast jsut OK, surrounding area not great”
Reviewed December 1, 2008

I stayed at this HIE for 13 days in early November. It was clean, quiet and fairly well maintained. Staff was friendly and I heard them assisting many with directions and recommendations.

Pros
Nice value, easy access to downtown & Market area
Easy on & off highway
I had a King Suite, very nice size
Excellent water pressure

Cons
Breakfast was iffy; eggs tasted like too much water was mixed in them before scarmbling most days
Immediate surrounding area was mostly warehouse, small businesses. You could walk in the day to the Market area, but some may feel uncomfortable because it is a bit deserted. Transit to downtown & Riverwalk was about 1 1/2 block walk.

I had a very strange occurrence. My first day, they had no shampoo for the room. The clerk check some unoccupied rooms, but said they had already borrowed from Peter to pay Paul, so he didn't expect to find any. The 2nd day, still no shampoo to be had!!

Overall. not a bad stay, some bumps in the road, but comfortable and always clean.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Finnish first
Mesquite, TX
Reviewed July 28, 2008

I was a little leary of staying here after I read the last posting however, I am glad I did. The hotel accomodations and staff are great. The weekned I stayed, the hotel was full each day. Nevertheless, they had plenty of everything. The only thing that I could say negative is that they probably need more than one elevator because it is slow. however, this was not much of a problem for me because my room was on the second floor and I took the stairs. The exercise was good for me. I recommend the hotel for the price and because of its location.

• Liked — The space
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
Cedar Hill, TX
Reviewed July 19, 2008

After reading reviews here (hmmm, might re-think that now), my husband booked us here to see the DCI competition (mostly because it was close). Even my husband remarked (as we walked to our room) - 'i guess I am fired from making hotel reservations, huh?'. My response (trying to be upbeat) - 'well, it's not horrible.'. yup, that was the best I could do. The staff was nice, and attentive. But, wow - it did not make up for the dingy rooms (stained carpet, furniture), bad smells, and tiny (almost claustrophic) bedroom (and we got a suite!). And, since we were here in summer, there were a thousand screaming kids in the lobby, and only two attendants trying to check people in. It was exhausting just trying to get checked in.

My husband is very calm, tolerant and always has a good sense of humor... but, the comment about being fired said it all to me (I thought I was just cranky after the long drive). Not a repeat. Save your money.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — furniture, carpet, etc. need to be updated
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
Texas
Reviewed June 25, 2008

The hotel was in excellent condition, but must have been filled to capacity. We were there the weekend of June 13-15 for business. The elevator was impossible to get on because it was soooo slow and always in use. The breakfast area was over-flowing both days. We waited 15 minutes just to get through the food line the first day.

The pool looked nice, but it was right below our room and guests staying in late both nights. It was very easy for us to hear their conversations even with the AC and TV on. The second night was HORRIBLE because the bar next door was playing loud music until after midnight.

I will not be staying there again just because of the noise.

• Liked — Rooms are recently updated
  • Disliked — Noise
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
Austin, Texas
Reviewed May 31, 2008

Stayed here for a conference. I was surprised at the comfort of the pillows, beds, and fluffy towels. The breakfast was way above average - eggs, bacon, sausage, biscuits and gravy. The juices, coffee, tea, and yogurt were all available 24/7 in the lobby.

There is a larger Holiday inn 1 block up but this is the Express version. It is smaller and off the main street. It was walkable to the conference center and Riverwalk but the trolley came by 1 block away and a cab was only $5. Staff were helpful and made sure the cab was waiting if we called in the morning.

They are still renovating but the room was fine. Two rooms, two tv's, microwave and fridge all for a great price.

All in all, a good experience.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank Karol B
Oklahoma
Reviewed May 20, 2008

Had a great weekend stay with some girlfriends! The rooms were nice and everyone seemed to really enjoy the pool area. The hotel has a nice location and it was within easy walking distance to everything we wanted to see. Had no problems with the parking garage and always felt safe. Will be returning again!

• Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank Stephensgirl
Clarksville, Indiana
Reviewed April 7, 2008

The renovations were almost completed during our stay and the improvements from the 2007 reviews were evident. We stayed in one of the renovated rooms and it was great. It had been done in a San Antonio style and was quite comfortable. The restaraunt was enlarged with a new bar area and the 9.99 breakfast buffet was hot and plentiful. The staff was super friendly and responsive to all our requests. Now that most of the renovation is over, I would highly recommend this hotel. It is convenient to I-30 and is in walking distance to Market Square. You could walk to the Riverwalk and the Alamo but it would be a long trek. The trolley stop is right there and there is a parking garage next to the Alamo that is also in a 3 block walk to the riverwalk. The lower pricing of this hotel would be better than paying the premium prices of the Riverwalk hotels.

• Liked — Convenience to sites
  • Disliked — parking lot was being paved-limited parking/access
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple