“Fabulous!”

Ranked #15 of 355 Hotels in San Antonio
State College, PA
“Fabulous!”
Reviewed February 24, 2014

This hotel was amazing. The location, though not great if you want to go to the River Walk or Alamo, is excellent if you are visiting a company in the same complex. The staff could not be friendler, more helpful, or more accomodating. The services offered were superior.

I had only one complaint and that is that the internet was down for both days that I stayed. This is the only reason that I gave them a Very Good instead of Excellent Rating, because I was there for business, so I was really desperate by the second morning. Plus the hotel did not let me know at check in that it was not working, therefore I did not know until well into the evening.

The shuttle service was great! The property is close to a large mall and if you have some time, it is well worth the visit.

Rooms are a little small - or at least mine was. However the cleanliness truly made up for the lack of space.

I will have future business in this complex and will definetly go back to this property each time.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
EilanHotel, Front Office Manager at Eilan Hotel & Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Thank you for choosing the Eilan Resort and Spa for your trip. We are so delighted to hear you enjoyed your time here. Thank you for the positive feedback I will ensure it gets passed on to the rest of the team! We look forward to serving you again in the future!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed February 24, 2014

Positive: The hotel and the room was very nice. The beds and pillows were very comfortable. The bathroom was clean and had lots of soft towels. There was a separate room for the toilet and there were speakers in the bathroom that were connected to the tv, so you could listen while getting ready. There was also a mini fridge and a Keurig coffee machine. We were very comfortable in the room, once we got there.

Negative: Before even walking in the front door, I was annoyed. This hotel is part of a huge complex with apartments and business offices. We drove around looking for signs saying which building was the hotel, but there were no signs. We saw 2 signs that said “Hotel and Restaurant Parking” but when we pulled in, the front door to the hotel was not there. We tried both parking lots and still couldn’t find the front door to the hotel. We were visiting a friend who lives in one of the apartments and had to call her to find out where the hotel was. Finally we found the front door, but we didn’t want to pay $25 a night for valet parking, so we parked in one of the far away parking lots and walked. Once inside, we checked in and I asked where we are supposed to park. The girl at the front desk said to drive past the valet and to the left past the pool is a parking lot. I thought that was good because it would have been very close to the hotel. When we were outside to look at this parking lot, it was just 5 spaces, which were full.

The internet was down the entire time we were there. We called the front desk to ask about it on Friday around 7:00 pm and she said it was down and the guy was there working on it. Saturday it was still down. Sunday it was still down. We stopped at the front desk this time and she said that it’s been down since Friday at 3:00 pm and the service guy said he needed to order a part and it would be there on Monday. That seemed like a lame excuse. What kind of part would take 3 days to order? A new cable? He should have that in his truck. A new modem? He should have that at the office. A new router? He should have that at the office. On top of the internet issues, we were unable to get any data service on our phones when inside the hotel, unless we pressed our phones up against the windows. So it was extremely difficult to look up any restaurants or activities or anything while in our room.

When I mentioned that we stopped at the front desk, there were issues there as well. The front desk was empty on Sunday afternoon. There was no sign saying she stepped away. There was no bell or any way of getting some help. After waiting there for a while, we finally found her sitting in the back. This is a 4 star hotel, we shouldn’t have to hunt someone down at the front desk.

When we left our room on Sunday it was round 11:00 and we came back around 4:00. The room was not cleaned. We saw the housekeeping cart down the hall, so we thought they were still cleaning. So we went back down to the lobby, got some coffee, hung out for a while, and even went to visit our friend. When we came back to our room again around 6:30, the room was still not cleaned. They completely forgot to clean our room on Sunday.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for choosing the Eilan Resort and Spa for your stay. I apologize we did not give you an experience that was beyond your expectations. This is not how we train or how we operate and I sincerely hope you will give us another opportunity. We will take your feedback and look at ways to avoid any service breakdowns in the future. It is was a pleasure to serve you and we hope to serve you again.
Glen Rose, Texas
Reviewed February 23, 2014

Stayed 2 nights. The room was nicely decorated, the hotel is very pretty. Would we return...probably not! There is a restaurant with bar and a small "store" with a deli. We expected a hotel of this quality to have an exterior bar w/lounge but they don't have one. Also when you are not in your room you might want to carry a jacket because it was cold in the lobby and hallways. The only negative comment we had was that the room walls are very very thin! So thin that if you are watching the same television show as the people in the next room, then you can mute your tv and listen from their room! And remember that your conversations in your room can be heard in the adjoining rooms on either side. So keep them at a "whisper"!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I spent one night at the Elian. For the most part, it was wonderful. The front desk clerk was efficient and our bellhop, Robert, did a great job of pointing out the intricacies of the room.....lighting, concealed refrigerator, closet safe, Keurig coffee pot ( which did not work correctly), the TV audio switch in the bathroom, etc. The bed and pillows were very comfortable. However, the WiFi was down the whole time we were there. The hotel restaurant, Sustenio, was extremely pricey...I will rate it in a separate review. This hotel is new (2 years) and is beautifully furnished. I did not check out the spa or the pool area, but was told where they were located by the front desk clerk. Our room was clean and cheerfully furnished....although the view was of a roof top and a building next door.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
EilanHotel, Front Office Manager at Eilan Hotel & Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Thank you for choosing the Eilan Resort and Spa for your trip. We are so delighted to hear you enjoyed your time here. Thank you for the positive feedback I will ensure it gets passed on to the rest of the team! I apologize that our WiFi was down we have worked very diligently to get it back up. We look forward to serving you again in the future!
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 28, 2014

The hotel has beautiful rooms. Spacious and very new. The heaters in room is a bit tricky to figure out but everything else was perfect. There is an empty refrigerator so you can out your own snacks, a coffee/tea service in the rooms. Beds are set high and have an elegant look, the room colors are soft browns and lite blues, calming and relaxing.
The spa a friend went in but they did not provide a towel, oops. For people who arrive without luggage, they should a complimentary packet for them. The hotel has been open for a year and a half, some of the bugs should be worked out.
Yes there are apartments around that are of the same complex but you do not see residents around. Is very close to a shopping area and there is some local transportation provided too.
The gym is amazing, a complete experience, although they could provide water in the gym.... But there was towels.
Restaurant is very good especially for dinner. Breakfast is also off the menu. If you are a Marriott Rewards member, even better, more ammenities, go for it.

Room Tip: Look out towards the city. Is pretty, other view is the mountains depends what you prefer, stay away...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
EilanHotel, Front Office Manager at Eilan Hotel & Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
Houston, Texas
Reviewed January 10, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for a weekend, the hotel itself its very clean, the staff was really friendly and accomodating, the rooms were good and clean as well, the restaurant has a great athmospere but the food quality isnt that great, the hotel is located in the middle of an condo complex it has a lot of walking areas and it looks great at night, i would not recommend the pool! its overcrowded and really small, def not suitable for small kids its more like a party pool.

• Stayed July 2013
EilanHotel, Front Office Manager at Eilan Hotel & Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, January 29, 2014
Thank you for choosing the Eilan Resort and Spa for your trip in July. I'm sorry to hear our pool was not to you taste. During the Summer our pool does get lively and is a popular place for our guests to spend the day. Thank you for your feedback and we look forward to serving you again in the future!
austin, texas
Reviewed January 9, 2014

My wife and I planned a 2 day get away after the holidays to check out the Eilan Hotel and Spa in San Antonio, TX. Our check in date was December 29th with a check out date of December 31st. I travel 50 weeks each year and stay exclusively at Marriott properties.

We arrived at the hotel at 1:00 pm. I realize this is early for check in, however, as a platinum member I always request an early check in and typically it is granted. I was told that our room was not ready but should be in about an hour. We left our bags at the front desk and proceeded to check out the hotel and its surroundings.
First let me say, this hotel is absolutely gorgeous! The location is great and conveniently located to lots of restaurants and attractions. Needless to say, we enjoyed our tour and easily whittled away the one hour wait for our room.

At approximately 2:00pm I went back to the front desk to inquire about our room. I was told again that the room was not ready and that it would probably be another hour. Ok... I'm not a difficult person and check in is officially at 3:00pm, so my wife and I head off to the local Target store to kill some more time.

We return to the hotel at 3:00pm and approach the front desk. I'm told they will have to call and see if the room is ready. After about 10 more minutes, we are given our keys and sent to our room. Before I go any further, let me point out that to this point not one person has said, "I'm so sorry for the wait", "thanks so much for your patience", "have a wonderful visit", "is there anything else we can do for you," NOTHING... NOTTA!
Upon entering our room my wife is delighted! The room is beautifully decorated (in just her style she says) :) and I'm happy to finally be in our room. My wife proceeds to sit on the bed and discovers what appears to be a pubic hair on the comforter. Again I say, we are not difficult people. I shake the hair off the comforter and we agree to pretend we didn't see it! Unfortunately, the 5 other hairs we found on the bed, and the two in the bathtub, and one in the sink, simply could not be ignored. My wife called the front desk and very nicely explained the situation to which they replied, "I'll send housekeeping." As my wife waited for housekeeping, I head to the front desk to see if we have any other options. Of course, we do not...no other rooms available. In the meantime, housekeeping arrived, changed the bedding and re-cleaned the bathroom while my wife sat and watched (now this is what I call romantic...NOT!)

It's now 4:00pm and remember, we arrived at 1:00pm. Oh well, now we can finally relax. A couple hours later I hop in the shower to get ready to go out for the evening and discover that the button you push to turn the shower head on is actually missing. I figure out that if I stick my finger in the open hole (gross), I can get the shower to come on. I make a note to mention this to the front desk on our way out later. I forget to mention it that night, but the following day I stop at the front desk and ask them to take a look at the broken shower. While we are out it appears someone has come to look at it, however, it's not fixed so I get to take another shower by sticking my finger in the (gross) hole to activate the shower head.

Like I said earlier, I travel A LOT and I stay exclusively in Marriot properties. I've had minor issues before with late check ins, broken faucets, no hot water, etc.... However, the reaction of the management has never been so poor as it was at the Eilan Resort and Spa. Not one time did anyone apologize. There was no follow up or attempt to rectify the situation in a courteous and professional manner.
This is a beautiful hotel and I failed to mention that I had one of the most amazing meals I've ever eaten in their on-site restaurant. However, if they don't fix the fundamental problem of a serious lack of professionalism and customer service, and lack of attention to detail, none of that will matter!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank anniversay22
EilanHotel, Manager at Eilan Hotel & Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, January 10, 2014