“Beautiful Hotel”

Ranked #16 of 354 Hotels in San Antonio
Chicago, Illinois
“Beautiful Hotel”
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Once this place really gets going, it's going to be wonderful. As it stands, they still have some things that need 'tweaking' due to their being very new.

The decor is lovely. The staff is exceptionally accommodating. In room amenities are lovely. Unfortunately they are so new, they don't have a convenience store or vending on site. What does that mean? You have to use room service for the smallest thing - even ice! So either make sure you have a car so you can drive out and stock up or bring lots of $1 bills for tipping.

The spa must be fantastic as it was completely booked and I was unable to get in while I was there. The fitness center is absolutely state of the art (small, but really good). The food that I experienced was excellent and the staff...can't say enough great things about the staff.

The rooms are spacious and well laid out. Ladies, I hate to say it but the bathroom lighting is absolutely awful. The 'make up' area in the foyer (between the two closets) is inadequate as well for makeup application. They really need to work on this! Otherwise, the bathroom was lovely.

Beds are large, pillows are comfy but sheets are a bit rough. My fellow travelers even commented on the sheets the next morning, so I know I wasn't the only one who felt that way.

If you can get a room with a balcony, do it!

Overall, the property has tremendous potential. They just need to get some of their 'ducks in a row' and they will be a great travel experience!

Room Tip: All the rooms that I saw were equally lovely.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank TravelMommy1
Joe L, Lead Concierge/Guest Service Supervisor at Eilan Hotel Resort & Spa at Eilan Hotel & Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Thank you for choosing Éilan Hotel Resort and Spa as your Getaway Destination. It was an Honor to have you as our guest and are delighted that you enjoyed your experience with us. We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
Texas
Reviewed September 20, 2012

My husband and I like to stay in local hotels for special occasions and since this was a new property (and I got a special deal on travel zoo) I booked us a night for our Anniversary. Even with the "special" rate, we paid close to $200 for a room with a "spa terrace". There is also a mandatory "resort fee" which I am familiar with and don't have a problem with. For me, this particular "Resort" just didn't have enough amenities to make it worthy of an extra fee. I would never pay full price for this property and felt that while they are targeting a specific market, they fall short in a few areas. The room was tiny and pretty plain. The bathroom was advertised with upscale, luxury finishes but I found it to be nothing special. The faucet was actually not designed very well--hard to access with closeness to sink. The rock floor in the shower was nice (different) but not worth the high price. I will say the outside of the property and the lobby area was very aesthetically pleasing and tastefully done. The pool was also nice, but once again--nothing really special. Considering you pay a resort fee (that includes use of the pool) and the pool is shared with residents of the Apartments.....not a big bonus. The biggest letdown for me was the "spa terrace". I love outdoor spaces and spend as much time as possible outdoors. When I booked our room, I paid the upgrade to have this terrace. When I walked out onto it, I felt like I was in a white collar prison yard (not that I've ever spent time in one--just what I've seen on TV) --sort of chain link fence between us and our neighbors and a wall on the other side. There were 2 chairs facing the wall--not really inviting. They are marketed for in room/balcony spa services, however, I can't imagine having a massage with neighbors a chain link away. The front desk clerk was polished, courteous and professional but nothing extraordinary. I know the property was fairly empty and when I told her it was our first time there AND our Anniversary all I got was a "Welcome". I am not the type of person that expects complimentary upgrades but considering it is a new property, lots of vacancies AND a special occasion, I thought.......maybe? I guess because I am a loyal member to a couple of chains and routinely get that service at check in I was expecting too much from a boutique hotel. I'm glad we stayed because I have seen the property as it was being built and curiosity was killing me. I feel like I understand the vision for the Resort, but for me, it just fell short.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you again for choosing Eilan Hotel as your Getaway Destination. We certainly appreciate the positive observations regarding our lobby, outside area, and Resort Pool. However, we do apologize for the inconveniences of not meeting up to your expectations with your room. I would like to point out that we now have a secluded wall that separates Spa Balconies along with a double chaise lounge with canopy. The wall does alow natural light to come into the area but very well private and secluded. We would love to have you back to try our lap pool, virtual golf room, tennis courts, recommend some jogging trails, and use our Private Transportation, upon availability. It was a pleasure having you here with us and we hope to see you in the near future.
Reviewed September 18, 2012

I recently stayed at the Eilan, a hotel located within a new real estate development at La Cantera. The property itself is beautiful and the rooms are well appointed and luxurious. I understand that the hotel recently opened this year and it appears that they are working to get things organized. The real estate mixed land use development in which the hotel is located incorporates an Italian theme. Basically, the entire development is empty for the time being. The location of the property is conveniently located close to the La Cantera shopping center. While the common areas of the hotel are wonderfully designed and furnished, I don't understand why they have described the property as a resort and charge a $25 daily fee by virtue of such description. There is a swimming pool adjacent to the front entrance, but other than that, there is nothing that I could see which would justify labeling the property as a resort and charging such a high daily fee. Perhaps the property is in development to add other features which might justify the description, but other than that, I don't get it. Having said that, it is a beautiful property and a good alternative to the Westin La Cantera; however, the resort label fits better with that property. Overnight parking is also expensive. The food at the restaurant was very good and all of the personnel at the hotel were friendly. Housekeeping did neglect to replenish the room with supplies for one of the nights, but overall, the room was very clean and comfortable. I think this property should continue to improve with time.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for choosing Éilan Hotel Resort and Spa as your Getaway Destination. We are so delighted that you enjoyed your experience with us and appreciate your wonderful comments about our property, signature restaurant Sustenio and our staff. We look forward to welcoming you in the near future.
Houston, Texas
Reviewed September 13, 2012

The Eilan Hotel is a new hotel with beautifully decorated spacious rooms the gym is state of the art it is a little small but not many people were in the room during my work-out so I didn't mind. Also, they have an indoor lap pool available to all guests which is awesome :D The Pool outside is beautiful with nice fountain lights at night. The hotel is across the street from Six Flags Fiesta Texas and a short drive from the shops at La Cantera shopping mall.

Room Tip: Using AAA will save you a lot of money.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Joe L, Lead Concierge/Guest Service Supervisor at Eilan Hotel Resort & Spa at Eilan Hotel & Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Thank you for choosing Éilan Hotel Resort and Spa as your Getaway Destination. We are delighted that you enjoyed your experience with us and look forward to welcoming you back very soon.
Reviewed September 13, 2012

Our family of four (my husband and two teenage children) stayed at Eilan Hotel in late July/August this summer. We had a fantastic time. From the time we pulled up to the front door to the time we departed, the staff was outstanding. Upon arrival, they escorted us to our room and then gave us a preview of all the amenities in the room. We were quite impressed. We spent the majority of our second day at the outdoor pool. It was very relaxing. We occupied the cabana's and being that there weren't many guests in the middle of the week, we were able to use three cabanas, all with different features. The poolside service was a plus. My daughter and I walked around the premises and even visited the dance studio. The instructor happened to be there at the time and invited us to attend the evening class.

The architecture of the hotel and surrounding property is beautiful. The grounds are manicured to perfection.

We did not get to indulge in the use of the Spa facilities but hope to have a girls weekend at the Eilan in the near future.

Thank you Eilan Hotel for a fabulous stay!!

Room Tip: Some rooms only have showers (albeit very nice). If you prefer a bathtub, you will need to request...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for choosing Éilan Hotel Resort and Spa as your Getaway Destination. We are delighted that you enjoyed your experience with us. Your feedback is greatly appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you and your girlfriends back in the near future to try our wonderful Spa.
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed September 12, 2012

I had a fantastic stay at Eilan Hotel. The hotel staff was accommodating and very friendly. The hotel amenities were beyond my expectations! The location of Eilan hotel is wonderful. There are plenty of shopping and restaurants near, and SIx Flags is right next door. I really enjoyed the landscape around the hotel, I felt like I was in the Mediterranean with the building decor and the tall rock ledges. I definitely recommend staying at the Eilan Hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for choosing Éilan Hotel Resort and Spa as your Getaway Destination. We are delighted that you enjoyed your experience with us. Your feedback is greatly appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you in the near future.
San Antonio, Texas, United States
Reviewed September 9, 2012

We previously visited for a tour of the resort. We arrived 9/1, got our room and went down to the pool. We requested a cabana and were told all were taken. We noticed more than half were empty; we were told they were reserved. I told them that when I inquired I was told they were on a first come first serve basis. After a bit we were told they found one for us and took us to one without a TV or Ceiling fan. The couple next to us were smoking (supposedly a non-smoking facility). We were off to a bad first impression. There was very loud thumping music playing, alcohol everywhere and neither I nor my husband liked what we saw or felt. The atmosphere felt sleezy. We returned to the front desk and spoke to the manager Lars. We expressed our concern and he said he would see what he could do; however a cabana with a TV/Fan were not a choice. Now we are in our mid 50's and have stayed at many resorts. A top Customer Service manager would respond; I am so sorry, let me get you a cabana to your liking; I certainly apologize for your inconvenience. Adding, here are 2 breakfast vouchers or similar. Lars was not even close. I told him I wanted to check out and not be charged for the nighty given the circumstances and the fact we had not been on sight 1 hour. Lars said if that's what you want that is fine. When the bellman arrived he could not believe he had just brought our luggage up and now he was taking down. We could not get out of there fast enough. Our three day Labor Day weekend was ruined. We will not return. 2 thumbs down.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Nora F
Thank you for choosing Éilan Hotel Resort and Spa as your Getaway Destination. Here at EIian Hotel, we take our guest comments very seriously. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconveniences that occurred during your stay. Thank you again for staying with us and we hope to see you in the near future.