“Absolutely Wonderful!!”

Ranked #15 of 355 Hotels in San Antonio
Hill City, Kansas
“Absolutely Wonderful!!”
Reviewed July 13, 2012

I have never written a review before, but feel compelled to review the Eilan. Our stay was absolutely perfect. After much debate over where in San Antonio to stay (River Walk vs. Hill Country, mainly) I decided to book the Eilan. After seeing both areas, I am sure that I made the correct decision. The area was beautiful, while not so out of the way to add to inconvenience. The staff could not have been any better.

We arrived the first night at 2:00 a.m. and were travel weary. We asked if room service, gift shop, or anything was available to get a drink. The desk attendant indicated that there wasn't, but then went the extra mile to offer to go to the employee lounge to purchase us a few sodas and had they delivered to our room. This may not have been SOP, but it told us that the staff had initiative to make our stay as good as possible.

Our suite was a two bedroom suite. We have stayed at many very nice hotels (Waldorf, Four Seasons) and decided that this was the nicest room that we have ever had. My husband, who is very picky about mattresses, wanted to know the brand so that we could purchase one for our home. There was a Wii in the living room for my son to play (which they have accessories and disks that they will bring to your room.

The valet service is also top-notch. Our car was always available within minutes of our request except for one time. There had obviously been a miscommunication between the person that answered the phone and the valet. When we arrived downstairs, the valet actually RAN to get our car. We waited less than three minutes for him to return. It was no big deal and showed us once again Eilan's commitment to service.

We used the cabanas on the second day of our stay and the experience was so wonderful that we spent the fourth afternoon (which we had already had plans for) at the pool area in a cabana. The drink and food menu is limited but adequate in the pool area and the service is impeccable.

We will need to travel to San Antonio in the future for my son's summer studies and have decided that we will not stay anywhere else. My only concern is that the Eilan has set the bar so high that it will take great measures for any future hotel stay will measure up!!

Room Tip: If you can manage it while staying as a family, the two bedroom suite is wonderful.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank bluedru
, Guest Service Supervisor/Lead Concierge at Eilan Hotel Resort & Spa at Eilan Hotel & Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
Thank you for choosing Éilan Hotel Resort and Spa as your Getaway Destination. We are delighted that you enjoyed your experience and appreciate your valuable feedback in regards to the service that was provided to you. Here at Eilan, we pride ourselves with providing excellent and top-notch service to all that come into the hotel. We know how warm it can be here in San Antonio, so we very pleased that you were able to experience our Resort Pool. Thank you again for staying with us and we look forward to seeing you in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
Reviewed July 3, 2012

My wife and I had an awesome stay here. Service was impeccible!! Our Concierge Joseph Lopez tailored to our every need during our stay. Ask for Joseph when you get there he will take care of all your needs and make your stay a memorable one. We're already excited for our next visit and plan on going again and again, simply because of the service. Ambience was Majestic this place is a real jewel. Thanks Joseph for making our stay a memorable one!!

• Stayed June 2012
Thank you for choosing Éilan Hotel Resort and Spa as your Getaway Destination. We are delighted that you enjoyed your experience and appreciate your valuable feedback in regards to the service that was provided to you. Here at Eilan, we pride ourselves on providing excellent service to all that come through the hotel. Your comments will certainly be shared with the Concierge. We look forward to seeing you in the near future.
Columbia, Maryland
Reviewed July 3, 2012

We stayed here this past weekend...Everything was amazing! The bellman, front desk, and pool attendants were all very professional & accommodating! The rooms are absolutely beautiful! Couldn't ask for a better hotel!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for choosing Éilan Hotel Resort and Spa as your Getaway Destination. We are delighted that you enjoyed your experience and appreciate your valuable feedback. We look forward to seeing you in the near future.
Houston, Texas
Reviewed July 2, 2012

I found this hotel via a Living Social voucher. My boyfriend and I decided to use it to celebrate our two year anniversary. I'm glad we did! We had a wonderful time. We arrived to our room to fine complimentary chocolate covered strawberries and a nice note from Joe, the concierge, who had been helping me get the whole weekend squared away.

I was nervous that some of the reviews mentioned the ghost town feel and horrible customer service. We experienced none of that. We were greeted almost every time we entered the lobby. The staff was friendly and there were always other people in our surroundings. Not too many, not too few. The restaurant was actually very busy that Friday night. The vibe in there was also great. The food...it was okay.

We also took advantage of the spa. It was fabulous as well. The staff showed me around and made me feel at home. The facilities were large and clean. It was decorated beautifully. The prices were a tad high but I expected that from an upscale hotel, which I would consider this.

The only reason I'm not giving it a 5 is because the grounds need to be completed. The gym is still under construction as are a portion of the facilities outside of the hotel. Unless I don't get out much and I'm completely unaware of what a nice hotel/resort should be, this was a great place to stay. I will be back one everything has been completed.

Thank you Eilan for a wonderful weekend!

Room Tip: Our classic king wasn't too big or too small. Perfect for a couple.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kelley J
, General Manager at Eilan Hotel & Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, July 3, 2012
Thank you so much for choosing to stay at Éilan Hotel Resort & Spa for your anniversary celebration. We are delighted that you enjoyed your time with us and hope to welcome you back very soon.
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed June 26, 2012

When we arrived, we were met by the valet and they told us they would like to move our car. We were not told there would be a valet fee until we checked into the hotel. Several finishing touches within the hotel need to be addressed: 1- the TV in the fitness room doesn't work 2- the door to enter the fitness room is very sticky and difficult to enter. 3-the lights in our hotel room were difficult to figure out.. 4- a true resort usually has a bar in the refrigerator of the room. The sound system in the room was lovely as was the bathroom. The outdoor pool was amazing!! Beautiful! Great service at the pool!!

Last but not least, the restaurant at Sustenio was extremely disappointing. The service was slow, the price was very high and the portions were very small. We are accustomed to gourmet dining and small portions, but we left hungry. The ceviche was less than 1/2 cup portion as an appetizer, and the scallop appetizer was just that: ONE SCALLOP! In fact, it was undercooked! The sherbet was delicious but definitely not worth the price of $16.00.

The spa was lovely. I had a one hour massage. My only complaint was no one directed me to the restroom, nor could I find it. In addition, I wasn't told of the spa surrounding available to me and how to access them.

All in all the location was beautiful but definitely some kinks to be worked out.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for staying with us at Éilan Hotel Resort & Spa. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay. Your comments about Sustenio are important to us and we will share them with the Executive Chef. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Madisonville, Louisiana
Reviewed June 17, 2012

The Eilan is a nice new property with a courteous staff. However, there were some issues with my family's stay. First, despite the name, this is no resort by any stretch of the imagination. It is a hotel and only a hotel. The $25 per day "resort fee" they hit you with at check-out is outrageous. For our five night stay, this fee totaled $125 above and beyond the room rate. And best of all, for this fee you get.....nothing. I did not valet park, as this would've added an additional $25 per day. Next, this placed is surrounded by apartments, the tenants of which are granted full access to the hotel facilities. One night I witnessed what was apparently a wild party at one of the apartments that escalated into a drunken shouting match near the hotel pool. Definitely not the behavior one expects to encounter at an upscale "resort" like the Eilan. I predict that eventually the apartments will be the undoing of this place because they attract an element this is not consistent with an upscale hotel property. They should have made these units condos instead of apartments. Finally, smokers can rejoice because the Eilan is very lax with its no-smoking policy. One afternoon, I could not allow my children near the outdoor jacuzzi because there were three other guests in the jacuzzi smoking. When I brought this to the attention of a pool attendant named Kelly, she flat-out told me that she does not enforce the no-smoking rule in the pool area. I would expect this at the Ramada Inn, but not the Eilan. Needless to say, my kids were disappointed they could not go near the jacuzzi. The next time I visit San Antonio, I will stay at the Westin up the road, even if it is significantly more expensive.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Triddick
EilanHotel, General Manager at Eilan Hotel & Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, June 21, 2012
Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at Éilan Hotel Resort & Spa. We sincerely apologize for not handling the smoking issue immediately and have addressed this with all of our staff. We hope that your experience will not mar your image of Éilan and allow us to serve you in the future.
Georgetown, Texas
Reviewed June 10, 2012

My wife and I are San Antonians, and we had heard that the property and the restaurant was a must see. We arrived and self-parked. From the time we arrived until we left, half an hour later, not one staffer made eye-contact with us, said hello, or acknowledged we were there. We waited in the spa to get some information for my wife, and after standing at the spa counter for 10 minutes, we left. We went down to the bar at 4:55 PM on Sunday, June 10th, and were told that the restaurant was not open yet, but that we could have drinks and food at the bar. We sat down and waited more than 15 minutes, yet were not waited on at all, and again, not one staffer acknowledged our being there. There was some sort of manager (dressed in a black suit) chatting up a couple not 10 feet from our table, yet he never once looked at us sitting there drink-less, with menus gathering cobwebs.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank provoshane
EilanHotel, General Manager at Eilan Hotel & Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, June 12, 2012
We apologize for the experience you and your wife recently had at Éilan Hotel Resort & Spa. We appreciate your feedback and will use the comments as a positive training tool. We hope you give us an opportunity to serve you in the future.