“Great Food, Excellent Service”

Two Step Restaurant and Cantina
Ranked #255 of 4,727 Restaurants in San Antonio
Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 13, 2014

Our hotel concierge recommended this place, and she was right on! We ordered the breaded ribs appetizer and it was a great start. I got lucky and, even though it was not usually served on Saturday, I got the smoked prime rib. It was cooked perfectly and had a hint of smoky taste. The portion was more than generous. My friend had chicken fried chicken, which was also generously sized and was quite good. As our side, we ordered the famous macaroni and cheese -- there is a reason that it is famous, because it tastes wonderful. Finally, can't close without mentioning our waitress, Jazz. She gave us very helpful suggestions and was always there when we needed he. Very personable and attentive. Kudos to her for completing a wonderful dining experience.

Reviewed December 29, 2013

This restaurant was everything we expected from its online reviews. The food was great, the service superb. You will not be disappointed. My family and I definitely recommend it. The beef ribs were so tender and my daughter loved the chicken fried steak.

Reviewed December 5, 2013

This was an interesting place in that you enter directly (almost) into the open kitchen. The food was just above average, but the prices for the portions were good. This place is going thru some growing pains and was calling in all servers to work. The manager was waiting on customers and the call in guys had to keep checking on specials and playing bus boy. The crowd was huge and the only seating was outside, but they fired the patio heaters up to help.

Overall, it's worth a try.

Reviewed November 21, 2013

Wonderful place for dinner. Ribs and brisket were excellent. Staff was very courteous and visited with us many times. Prices are very reasonable. We will definitely be back.

Reviewed November 1, 2013

We had late lunch at Two Step on Nov. 1, and enjoyed the ambience as well as the food choices. My husband and I shared two appetizers (concierge at Hyatt's Wild Oak Ranch told us about the restaurant and gave us a free appetizer card), which were both very good. The fried pickles (with crushed Frito coating) were not something we would ordinarily order, but they were delicious. The Texas rolls are a unique, but very tasty, choice. They somewhat resemble egg rolls cut in half, but are something you need to taste to appreciate. A melange of flavors!
I ordered fried catfish, and the preparation was different from any fried catfish I have eaten before. I liked the addition of some spiciness and Parmesan cheese to the coating. The jalapeño hush puppies were bite-sized, not too hot, and went very well with the catfish. There was a choice of sides, and I chose their special beans-- spicy and good. I gave my husband half of the bowl of beans so I could also try his side of potato salad which I liked even better. He liked his pulled pork sandwich, but it was a bit messy to eat. A Wetnap would have been helpful.
We plan to return the next time we are in San Antonio, now that we know about Two Step. The architecture is very Hill Country style, built including two stacked stone historic ranch buildings in the design.