“I am a local and this place is awesome!”

Two Step Restaurant and Cantina
Ranked #190 of 4,915 Restaurants in San Antonio
Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

Two of my picky friends raved about it. I knew it had to be good, and I was not disappointed! Delicious food, fun patio with live music, family friendly. Great BBQ and Mexican style corn on the cob.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

I bet a lot of people don't know that San Antonio has a rich German tradition; the Two Step, at the intersection of 1604 and Braun Road, reflects it. The food, however, isn't German. It's pretty standard Texas fare, with pulled pork prominently featured.

Nine of us had lunch there and our food was a good representation of the restaurant's offerings. The burgers looked pretty spectacular; the fish tacos were pronounced "very good." Also present: a three-decker club sandwich, a chicken wrap, and a pulled pork with jalapeno cole slaw. I had the pulled pork which was flavorful and not at all overwhelmed by the jalapeno. All in all, good food.

After enjoying lunch, our server, who knew the history of the premises, took us on a tour of the painstakingly restored house and barn. The employees are very proud of their digs and we enjoyed looking at photos and one very large and interesting map, which suggested that sometimes art and life do indeed intersect.

The Two Step also has a very nice patio which provides a shady spot to enjoy lunch or a drink. A nice spot; I'll likely return.

Reviewed February 23, 2013 via mobile

We walked over to two-step because we were staying at the hotel and what a treat. Family friendly atmosphere, outdoor seating, and a FANTASTIC menu. When you're on the road a lot, two-step is a welcome change. The one draw back is that the bar area is really small and the wait staff tend to crowd this area. We now choose to stay at the hotel because of two-step.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

While staying at a nearby hotel, I ate here 3 days in a row. The food was delicious, the staff friendly, and the atmosphere cozy. They have a decent variety and everything we had was truly delicious. This is not my typical choice in restaurants, but my adult son was with me and this is definitely a good choice if you like heavier type food. The ribs, appetizers, burgers, seafood plate, etc. were all tasty. We went back 3 days in a row. They have a happy hour from 4-7, discount on drinks and appetizers. Enjoy.

Reviewed January 5, 2013

When you enter the door, you know that they have BBQ on the menu. The smell of burning wood and meat fill the air and immediately get the salivary juices flowing. We were seated quickly and the wait help remained on top of things the whole time we were there. Anybody experiencing differently may want to try again.

It was perfect weather for the outdoor patio and sitting under a couple of shade trees with a world class margarita. The margaritas here are for the purist - top shelf tequilas, freshly squeezed lime juice (no mix here), and cointreaux. We ordered the "Jefe" which was their "pour-off" winner last year and it did not disappoint. Too bad the patio view is of the surrounding parking lot. With these kind of margaritas, one could almost imagine oneself at a bistro table in the zocalo watching the indios come to market with their colorful garb.

Started lunch off with the firecraker shrimp - six nice sized shrimp rolled in wonton wrappers and fried, served with a pepper jelly that was fortunately just barely sweet and mildly hot - very good for $5.95. The chicken-fried steak which is made from ribeye was a large portion nicely done and fork tender as the restaurant claimed. The BBQ had a nice smokey flavor though it reminded me of the smoker pans rather than open pit BBQ in flavor and intensity. The brisket was lean and tender (they ask if you want lean or "juicy") and the sausage reminded me of that which you get from the City Market in Gonzales - very finely ground and excellent flavor. The cajun potato salad was a bit unusual tasting with the creole mustard. I think I will stick with the creamy southern style mayo and mustard variety. The jalapeno cole slaw was unremarkable with just a slight taste of jalapeno.

Prices for the margaritas are not for the faint of heart averaging close to $9.00 and the entrees average $10+. The "ouch" factor to the pocket book is definitely there, but is softened a bit by the top notch food and drink.

1  Thank OmniEpicurean