“Great Breakfast, Great Location off I-10”

Drury Inn & Suites San Antonio Northwest Medical Center
Ranked #94 of 354 Hotels in San Antonio
Houston, Texas
“Great Breakfast, Great Location off I-10”
Reviewed July 11, 2011

Free parking, great breakfast very centraled location to everything. You need a car to go to the riverwalk. I do not recommend their snack but overall everything else was good and rooms were clean. Free wireless internet and friendly staff.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
El Paso, Texas
Reviewed July 7, 2011

We stayed on San Antonio Drury from June 30 to July 05,2011. This hotel is great and very easy to get to. We got there just in time to eat at the snack time and it was more than snack it was dinner!!! Bad thing is that the next days we stayed to very late in parks and that was the only time we could eat there. I could be fanstastic if they extended the kick back snack time at least until 8:00 p.m. That could save a lot of money to people like us that travel with kids. Breakfast was fine, the people that works there are very nice and they are always cleaning. The room was very clean BUT the carpet smelled horrible and had many stains on it. Bathroom super clean. We will definetly come back and also we will look for other Drurys hotels to places will go. Great experience, very happy!

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the back not facing the 1-10 very noise at night
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Carmen C
DruryHotels, General Manager at Drury Inn & Suites San Antonio Northwest Medical Center, responded to this review, July 15, 2011
Sounds like you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for letting us know about the condition of your room carpet. We take pride in our clean rooms, so we will work hard to track down any rooms that need some carpet cleaning. Thanks again for staying with us.
Everett, WA
Reviewed June 13, 2011

We stayed here for 4 wonderful nights. From the room to the full hot breakfast to the evening reception to the free soft drinks and popcorn to the pool and hot tub this hotel for great. The service was very good. The location was not in downtown but it took us less than 20 minutes to the get to the Riverwalk. There were no less than 12 restaurants within a 5 minute walk of the hotel and grocery store about 10 minutes walk away. A word of caution, we stayed hear over Memorial Day weekend and the place was hoppin'. The breakfast and evening reception were quite crowded but with some patience we managed to get fed. I would definitely stay at this Drury Inn again if in San Antonio!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Unknown_Traveler
Sour Lake, TX
Reviewed April 14, 2011

The wife and I went to San Antonio to spend a couple of days house hunting for a son who has been admitted to Medical School. We found this particular Drury Inn while trying to find a hotel that would accept our dog, a small Yorkshire Terrier. The hotel was pet friendly, as they advertise their chain to be. Our room was very nice and clean. We asked for and got a room on the back side of the hotel, away from I-10. I didn't get a chance to check out their indoor hot tub and pool because it was monopolized all Saturday evening by a large family. The breakfast & evening "kick-back" events were pretty much as they were advertised. The one disappointment that we had was not a fault of this hotel, but after joining their frequent stayer club (in anticipation of many more Yorkie trips), I found out that this 2-day stay wouldn't earn any frequent stayer points because it was booked through petswelcome.com instead of directly with the hotel or chain. The internet discount was not very substantial, so I thought that portion of the frequent stayer club policy was a bit mean. The following weekend, I found out that Drury's national chain website had a discount promotional code that would earn frequent stayer points, and was indeed less than the internet rate I got the weekend before.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the back side away from I-10.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank FootballRefJeff
Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed March 28, 2011

We stayed at The Drury Inn NW for 5 nights in a 2-room king suite.

Pros:
Fabulous staff! Everyone we talked to or passed in the hall was very friendly, from the front desk to the kitchen staff, to the maintenance man. The staff was super-quick to respond to our request for extra blankets and to replace a hairdryer that wasn’t working.
Check-in was lightning fast – from the time we walked in the hotel’s front doors until the time we were in our room was less than 5 minutes.
Our suite was pretty standard in terms of room size – it was fine for two adults and an 8-year old.
The king-size bed was very comfortable and had a half-dozen pillows to choose from. Our daughter said that the sofa bed in the living room “made a lot of noise” when she rolled over on the mattress, but that it was “pretty comfortable” none-the-less.
Our suite had a full-size fridge and a microwave. (There were no utensils or dinnerware provided, so we had to go downstairs to get Styrofoam plates & cups, and plastic forks & spoons from the buffet.)
The breakfast buffet had a lot to choose from – cereal, breads, eggs, French toast, make-it-yourself waffles. The staff was quick to replenish items when they ran out.
There was a lot of seating in the dining and lounge areas, so we never had a problem finding a table to sit at during breakfast.
The hot dinner buffet seemed to be a big hit with the other hotel guests. (We did not eat anything because most of the food was either meat and/or fried.)
Free popcorn in the lobby from 3pm-10pm was nice to have for a snack before/after dinner.
The indoor pool area was clean, and there were two small outdoor patio areas where you can go out and get some sun.
Laundry Room – washing machines cost $1.25 for each load; dryers were about the same – it only took one cycle in the dryer to finish a whole load.
Location is very convenient: Only about 15 minutes to downtown and to SeaWorld. (Note: The highway on & off ramps are kind of screwy in this area – be sure to Google your route so you know which lane you need to be in to get to where you are going!)
There is an HEB grocery store just across the highway, and several restaurants within walking distance. (Ruby Tuesday shares the parking lot with the hotel; Pasha, a great Mediterranean restaurant, is just a block west.)
For families with kids, there is a nice new playground at Phil Hardberger Park 10 minutes east of the hotel. (Follow Wurzbach Road/Parkway east about three miles to Blanco Road. Left on Blanco about half a block to the parking lot.)

Cons:
Noise was a big issue for us in this hotel. Our room was on the I-10 side of the hotel and the traffic noise was constant. Between the sirens, honking horns, and thumping bass, we had a hard time falling (and staying) asleep. (New windows might help this issue.)
Two of the nights, there was a yippy little dog in the room next to ours; thankfully, the owners were able to keep it quiet most of the time. On the Friday and Saturday nights of our stay, we had to contend with rowdy kids running up and down the halls, pounding on everyone’s doors, and singing loudly.
The bathroom in our suite was tiny – there was only about a 2” clearance between the front of the toilet and the door. In order to close or open the door, we had to squeeze ourselves in the narrow space between the vanity and the toilet or in between the toilet and the tub.
As someone mentioned in an earlier review, getting to use the computers in the business center was a hassle. The second night we were at the hotel, one man had apparently set up his office in the room - he had a tray full of food from the buffet sitting next to him on the desk and had spread out all of his papers too. When we first tried to use one of the computers at 5pm, this man was there along with a woman on the second computer; when we came back from dinner at 8:30, the “eater” was still there and another man was on the second computer. (There are signs posted that food is not allowed in the business center and that there is a 20-minute limit for using the computers.)
On Saturday night when I went down at 7:00pm to print our boarding passes, only one of the computers was up and running, and a young man was using it. When I inquired about what was wrong with the other computer, the woman at the front desk told me that the CPU for the second computer had been stolen out of the (locked) business center the night before.
When I went back in to ask the young man in the business center how long he was going to be, he just shrugged his shoulders and said “I don’t know.” He was on his cell phone at the time and was logged onto Facebook. I went back down an hour later and the young man was still on the computer; he quickly logged off when I told him that he needed to let me use the computer. Before he left the room, he turned to me and asked whether he could borrow a dollar so he could “take the bus home.” Obviously, this young man was not a guest of the hotel. This hotel needs to tighten up their security & surveillance; if people can simply walk in off the street and get into a locked business center to use and/or steal a computer, who is to say that they can’t also get into the locked guest rooms?

The staff was fabulous and there were a lot of great things about the Drury Inn, so I really hate to give a thumbs-down to this hotel, but when I factor in the noise and the security issues, the “cons” out-weigh the “pros”. We will not be returning.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank MplsMommy
DruryHotels, General Manager at Drury Inn & Suites San Antonio Northwest Medical Center, responded to this review, April 11, 2011
We sincerely apologize tha you had concerns during your stay at our hotel. We value your business and sincerely regret that the level of service was not what you expected and deserved.
Your comments will help us address the issues you have mentioned so that we can improve our service for future guest at our hotel. We truly appreciate your business and hope you will give us additional opportunities to serve your lodging needs.

Gail Mapus
General Manger
Drury Inn & Suites NW
Houston, Texas
Reviewed March 22, 2011

We stayed here for a week and the hotel is wonderful. The free hot breakfast was great and they have free drink/popcorn daily as well for snacks. They Also have a GREAT evening reception with light dinners and free wine/drinks. The kids really loved the hotel and so did we! Indoor pool/spa and fitness center were nice as well. The area is near everything that's definitely a plus.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank 2000SM
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed March 18, 2011

To start I should let everyone know I travel a lot & drury has always been my choice I love the updated suites & peacefulness. I would recomend it to everyone! im even a member of their gold key rewards club...but after my experiance last night I wouldnt suggest anyone stay there. I checked in promply @ 530 a.m the staff could not find my reservation so i ended up in a different room (equal value not the one i wanted). 11 a.m rolls around and i go to the front desk to pay (since i checked in at 5:30 they told me to pay again at 11) Danielle the lady at the desk looked up my room & said i was ok and didnt need to pay. Ok so the evening comes im out on the town with some old buddies enjoying my night my wife & child at the hotel , I call and April answers front desk & refuses to transfer me, hmm i dont like april at 3:30 in the morning shes disturbing my family telling them to pay for the room in ten mintues or she would throw them out...thank God my uncle was there to pay. But you see i had went to pay so why wait until 3:30 am to bother my family this is ridiculous , I felt she was judging my character I talked with another lesbian couple in the elevator & they also said she was rude &judemental towards them!! as much as i stayed there I probably paid the drurys electric bill but now I will never stay there ever!!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank jess_garza
DruryHotels, Manager at Drury Inn & Suites San Antonio Northwest Medical Center, responded to this review, June 6, 2011
Thank you for your feedback. We do not have team members at this hotel by the names you mentioned, but would like the opportunity to address your concerns about your stay. Please contact the hotel and ask to speak to the General Manager.