“I've stayed in squats that were nicer than this.”

Budgetel Inn & Suites
Ranked #307 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

I really wanted to like this place because it was the only available room in all of San Antonio. Unfortunately I was passing through at the wrong time of year, festivals of some sort. I booked online because it was available and not $300 a night like everything else that was available.
After driving around the NE part of town looking for it I cruised into the parking lot that seemed entirely handicapped parking. There was a car alarm going off that no one seemed to notice. Beer cans, trash, and meth heads hanging around. Once inside there was a good 20 minute wait per person checking in. The hotel looked like it was nice 30 years ago but now it's a dump. It looked abandoned. The front desk was unfinished and made out of old plywood. There was a courtyard that was locked behind some glass doors where two Rottweilers suffered in the sun with no water. I'm not exaggerating on this at all. The pool was drained and the ceiling tiles were missing in places. The place was an extended stay hotel for trailer trash to feel at home. Graffiti on the walls, everywhere an ashtray including the carpets on the no smoking floor. The elevator was a scary ride, it seemed to drop faster in places which felt like it was about to snap. The room on the no smoking floor was full of stale smoke odors. I checked the wifi which was almost nonexistent. There was no way I was going to pay for a room like this even if I have to sit on the phone with Priceline to get a refund. I went back to the lobby to retrieve my ID card which the concierge forgot to hand me back and told him that I wanted a refund. There was still a huge line of customers waiting to check in, I hoped they would take a hint from my dissatisfaction. Back in the parking lot I had to sit on the phone for an hour trying to get my refund while Priceline made several attempts to contact the front desk. No one answered of course, eventually I got my refund. The place has made me not want to book online ever again. I wish I would have took pictures to prove to you how bad it was. I didn't think I would be writing a review but I'm wide awake in my new hotel room still thinking about my horrible experience there. Please do not stay there unless u want to find out the hard way.

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank bornagainst

Reviewed April 11, 2013

Unacceptable. Booked through Hotels.com and thought we could trust the pictures. We walked out after 10 minutes and 2 rooms. The place is so horrible with random drunk/high/sketchy characters roaming in and around the place. First thing in the lobby are 3 different sets of posted rules - warnings, threats re: drugs, parties, fights, and weapons...as well as management’s right to refuse service to anyone for any reason. In the elevator, a wasted woman spilled her open beer on me and then laughed in my face. Outside of our room a dazed and barefoot/PJ-clad man exited his room to fill the garbage bin with FOUR empty cases of beer. If those weren't enough red flags, we entered our room to find a door missing half of a frame and the latch lock had been ripped out and re-installed four times!! The bathroom was filthy - FILTHY - the shower was full of mold and the toilet was literally brown. Right outside our window a loud group of scary guys were smoking pot! We requested a room change - to one with a FUNCTIONING LOCK - and were taken to a room in even worse condition. This place is full of weekly/monthly residents and is more like a crack house than a hotel. We walked out even though we had prepaid - the front desk manager told us "no refunds after 5 minutes" - wonder why they came up with that rule?? And we had to drive 40 miles outside of San Antonio before we were finally rid of the heebeejeebees. DON'T EVER STAY HERE! We will never use another booking service or pre-pay for a room again!

Room Tip: Avoid this roach motel at all costs.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Erica Z
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Budget Hotel arent for everyone...great hotel...family orientated...Madeleine is the best...Clean rooms and I am known and treated as if Im family! Spring Break was truly busy there however...cant mix honey moons or romantic excapes name speaks for its self clean rooms low prices

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 19, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at the facility in San Antonio (2635 NE Loop 410) the night of March 14, 2013. We arrived about 1:30 a.m. March 15 after flying in and found our room to not be at all what we had purchased. We were given a room with a double bed (we had paid for a king-size room), and told when my husband asked that there was nothing else available. The lobby was filthy, the elevator to the sixth floor had scratched graffiti all over the doors, the floors were sticky, and there were cigarette butts on the floor. The hallways were visibly filled with cigarette smoke although each of the rooms in the hallway had a non-smoking sign and the website we had used shows the hotel to be a non-smoking facility. Our room, #626, was shocking. The TV was left on, which I thought was odd, and made me think we were in someone else's room, but there were no other signs of inhabitation. There were huge stains of questionable origin on the floor (I thought it was vomit stain). Chairs were ripped. The floor looked as though it had not been vacuumed recently. There were ashes and incense stick remainders on the air conditioner. There were long black hairs on the bathroom floor, hair stuck to the outside of the hair dryer, mold and easily removable soap scum in the shower/bath (I wiped it with a towel), and the very small bath towels were stained. There were holes in the plaster in the bathroom. The dismantled smoke detector had no battery and there were no sprinklers.

We stayed, unfortunately. It was 1:30 am, we were exhausted, and my husband had a job interview that morning.

The shower alternated between scalding/freezing -- no in-between.

We both woke up sick from the smoke. And we didn't bother with the coffee maker or the continental breakfast in fear of food poisoning.

When we went to the woman at the front desk (LaToya), all we were given were excuses. There was nothing she could/would do to help us since we booked through a third-party site. It apparently was all the other sites' (Booking.com, Hotels.com, etc) faults that it hotel was not advertised accurately. However, there was really no way to find the accurate story while booking online since the hotel itself does not have a website (as confirmed by LaToya).

I brought up that they "non-smoking rooms" reeked of smoke -- and guests were smoking in the halls. Her response: we can't control our guests. So I asked her about the ability to control the cleanliness of the rooms. She then went on about booking through a third party. No help whatsoever.

By the way, even though this is listed as Budgetel, you cannot book them through that site (even though very misleading pictures are listed).

We requested the cancellation of the rest of our itinerary, and LaToya said we had to go through the third party.

I have stayed at a number of hotels in a third-world country and have never stayed someone so disgusting.

3  Thank Jodie E
Reviewed October 13, 2012

I travel for business and will look for a room using my phone internet connection. I found this property and it was close to where I needed to be for work. On my phone the pic looked nice.

I always call ahead and one of the questions is "do you have truck parking and where is it" I was told yes and the parking area is large so that wouldnt be an issue.

I drive a truck so I have to make wide turns. I am taking 2 lanes to make the turn into the parking lot when some jerk pulls his mustang up to my front bumper and just sits in his car staring at me and wont move. Now I am blocking the access road. I jump out and ask what is going on and he tells me that he used to work there and that I cant come in that way. Long story short, I backed out and parked next door in a dirt lot.

On the way i, I turned the corner and was greeted by a big loud bark. There was a pit bull type dog locked inside the pool area with food/water bowls and dog toys. Then when I went inside to be greeted by a ghetto looking girl. She was nice though. I asked about truck parking and was told to park where ever. After looking around I saw that this place is a total dump, inside and out.

I just had this gut feeling that I needed to go somewhere else so I went to a property that I have stayed in the past. I am here right now and have no issues with this property.

After seeing what I saw, I would never recommend this property to anyone.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank FtWorthChuck
Reviewed July 11, 2012

I visited san Antonio on vacation and the staff was great. The hotel is great distance from airport and convenient for parks...
I would recommend clean and ecpnomical..

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed June 25, 2012

We stayed in this hotel just a couple days ago and it was awful the staff was not nice and the room were less than decent. Also my very expensive iPad went missing and they didn't even try to do anything about it and I'm pretty sure it was the hotel staff. And the next day someone else stuff went missing from their room as well don't book here it's horrible.

• Stayed: July 2011