“Beautiful room - GREAT price!”

Best Western Plus Sunset Suites-Riverwalk
Ranked #41 of 355 Hotels in San Antonio
Toronto, Canada
“Beautiful room - GREAT price!”
Reviewed March 28, 2008

I've been a little lazy writing this, but thought I should tell you all what a great value the Best Western Sunset Suites is! We (2 adults, 2 teens) stayed over Christmas/New Years, but started out our visit at a much more expensive hotel on the riverwalk. I had really wanted to spend some time directly on the walk and so we were 5 days at Hotel Contessa (v. nice - read my review). However the prices of all the riverwalk hotels REALLY spike over New Year's Eve so we planned on splitting the trip between 2 hotels.
Fodor's book on San Antonio recommends the Sunset Suites as having rooms 'as nice as any you'll find on the Riverwalk at great prices' and they were not wrong! And you can get a 'complete' hot breakfast buffet for $3/person.
The room planned for us was not quite ready when we arrived so the desk clerk upgraded us to a corner room (probably wider by 8 feet) that was beautiful/clean (fold down ironing board). It was a traditional setup- 2 queens with sitting area/TV but very spacious.
The entire hotel gives the impression of spotless cleanliness, especially the shine of the hardwood floors in the lobby. And it's kind of quaint- doesn't feel like a 'chain' hotel.
We did take advantage of the breakfast (all you can eat) with the whole works: eggs/bacon/sausage/pancakes etc - a great value.
ALL staff were exceptionally friendly/helpful, from the desk to breakfast
The location was only up to 10 minutes away from the riverwalk (how fast do you walk?) but I didn't feel comfortable to let teens (2 girls) go alone as ;you do have to pass under a highway underpass, although well lit at night. (On the Riverwalk we didn't mind them getting a little ahead of us.) So that could make a difference for you....for us it was perfect to spend some time at the RW and from the Best Western we could also drive to some of the suburban malls to shop with no valet fees and FREE parking.
Oh, it is close to the train station and there are whistles but they supply ear plugs in the room...it didn't bother us.
Finally, there is free internet in a little office in the lobby.
Depending on your needs/budget etc. I don't think you'd go wrong here.

• Liked — Cleanliness, free parking/internet, $3 breakfast
  • Disliked — SLIGHT distance from riverwalk
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank Happytraveller066

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed February 9, 2008

While approaching this property, heading west on Commerce, my street smarts started to kick in and I began to question my choice of accommodations for the coming evenings. Although I had read many of the reviews here, none of them seemed to address the developing neighborhood which I was now entering. A large condo complex was under construction just across the street from the parking lot behind the Best Western and other areas in the immediate neighborhood were being reclaimed as well. However, this property still sits on the wrong side of the interstate, 5 blocks from the Riverwalk and a couple of blocks futher still to the Alamo.

Upon entering the lobby, I felt more comfortable with my accommodations and I found them to be as described in previous posts. My room, which overlooked the construction site, was as quite charming, but I kept the drapes pulled after dark. Although I quickly relaxed while on the premises, I still did not feel entirely comfortable walking the streets after dark. Yes, the underpass is well lit and the neighborhood improves as you progress towards the Riverwalk area.... still I saw graffiti that included some gang symbols and caution told me not to be out on the streets late at night.

Perhaps one gets a different impression during tourist season rather than during the last week in January, but I would caution a woman traveling alone to consider a location closer to the Riverwalk.

• Liked — Great room at a good price
  • Disliked — The surrounding neighborhood
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Littletoot2
Oklahoma
Reviewed December 14, 2007

This was a great hotel experience. Our room was large, very clean, and equipped with frig, blow dryer, iron and ironing board, coffee maker, microwave. Heat and air worked well. Bed was good. Everything in the hotel was very clean.
We arrived and departed San Antonio, via Amtrak, at 11:30pm (no vehicle). Walked the two blocks to the hotel. Everything was very secure. Sunset Station was in full swing with an outdoor concert. Streets where well lit. This historic district was beautifully decorated for Christmas.
Upon arrival at the hotel, check-in went perfectly. Desk attendents where very helpful with information about the hotel and surrounding area.
Trolley station adjacent to the hotel parking lot. Riverwalk is about two blocks.
What else can you ask for?

Stayed December 2007
2 Thank Gypsyheart247
Dorchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 2, 2007

in as many years. Very clean, large, comfortable rooms. Within walking distance of the Riverwalk and one block from Amtrak. Although Sunset Station is now an entertainment venue, there is a self-guided walk around the area of the station and the hotel. Tram runs from just outside the hotel into town and you can obtain a pass from the reception for a small charge. Sure you can hear the trains but it was not obtrusive. Had to laugh at a notice in the room about the train noise and the complimentary ear plugs for those more sensitive to train whistles. Decent buffet breakfast in the hotel.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ChessiePeake
Los Angeles
Reviewed November 25, 2007

We stayed in this lovely hotel after arriving in San Antonio via Amtrak's "Texas Eagle" at close to midnight. The hotel is within walking distance of the train station and the route is safe. THe area is a historic area undergoing considerable renovation. (A Ruth's Chris Steak House is about to open.) The room was a suite, with solid Mission-style oak furniture, including 2 queen beds, sleeper sofa, coffee table, work desk w/Internet access, and very comfortable lounge chair. Also included was a microwave, mini refridgerator, and wet bar, as well as an ironing board. The hotel is only 6 years old and is beautifully maintained. No chipped paint, no carpet stains, etc. There's a breafkast buffet available to guests for $3. The buffet isn't all that good--they eggs were a bit dry and the pancakes were mediocre at best. But there's coffee, juice, oatmeal, cerals, and English muffins to get your day started. If you want a bit better quality, there's a Denny's just on the other side of the underpass. In the lobby there's a small convenience nook where they sell sundries, sodas, water, snacks, and microwaveable burritos and Lean Cuisine-type dinners.

The hotel is very centrally located. It's just off the freeway, and parking is free for guests. The Riverwalk and the Rivercenter Mall are just a short walk away under the underpass. The underpass is perfectly safe. In fact, it's the most beautifully lit underpass I've ever seen. Columns in the underpass are brightly lit and change colors-green, pink, yellow. We saw only one "homeless" person, who was sleeping high up above, and there was no danger whatsoever. And, as stated, the trolly car ($3.75 all day pass) stops next to the hotel. Even better, next to the stop is a transit store where they sell the passes and have all the bus route maps and other information. As for the train noise, there is some, but unless you're a really light sleeper, you probably won't notice. My mother said she noticed early on, but not once she was asleep. Ear plugs are offered to guests and are well worth it as there are other noises in any centrally located hhotel including traffic and nearby construction.

We originally only planned to stay here the one night before heading out for a driving tour and then returning to San Antonio for Thanksgiving. But we liked the hotel so much that we cancelled our reservation at a 4-star Riverwalk hotel and stayed here for a third of the price ($109 and $129 per night).

• Liked — Quality at an affordable price.
  • Disliked — No pool.
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
6 Thank Kensi
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 17, 2007

Excellent.......................at this point in our coast to coast tour it was easily the best room so far.We don't know if it was because we were english or just smiled a lot (or even if all the rooms are like this) but we walked into a lovely spacious executive room.Clean, fridge,big bathroom etc etc etc...............staff were great ,can't fault it!

• Liked — Rooms & location
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with friends
3 Thank spoon47
Arlington, Texas
Reviewed July 23, 2007

My daughter and I stayed at this hotel for 3 rainy vacation nights the first of July.

First, be advised that this hotel has now become "smoke free", smokers are now directed to two benches directly outside the hotel entrance. Altough I am a smoker myself, I really didn't like the idea that if the goal was to keep smoke away from non-smoking guests why am I sitting on either side of the entrance door blowing smoke in their face. I'm sure it didn't sit well with the ever-descriminating non-smoking population entering the hotel lobby.

The front desk staff were not at all forthcoming about the hotel or the area. Until I returned home and read the other reviews, I was not even aware that the hotel had a fitness center or discount trolley passes available. Both of those things would have been very useful to us during our stay.

The lobby, rooms and hallways are very attractive and comfortable. On-site parking is VERY limited and I didn't feel very comfortable leaving my vehicle a block away in a public lot, but I had no other choice.

The hotel is a good walk away from the beginning of the attractions, ie the riverwalk wall, there are many homeless on the street at all hours of the day, but didn't feel threatened. Just keep our heads down and held on to our bags while walking to and from hotel.

Overall, I would stay at the hotel again, but would take advantage of the trolley system the next time.

• Liked — cleanliness
  • Disliked — no pool
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family