“Riverwalk Value”

Best Western Plus Sunset Suites-Riverwalk
Ranked #41 of 355 Hotels in San Antonio
“Riverwalk Value”
Reviewed November 9, 2011

This is a good hotel in a location with easy access to Riverwalk & Alamodome! Good service & comfortable rooms completes this package!

• Stayed November 2011
1 Thank tautry
Tony V, General Manager at Best Western Plus Sunset Suites-Riverwalk, responded to this review, November 15, 2011
Comfort, close enough location to the sites and FREE parking, couldn't have said it better myself :) Thank you for your business and most importantly for your feedback. We look forward to seeing you back soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
Northwest Indiana
Reviewed November 9, 2011

I stayed here Nov 6th, room 103. When I checked in Adrian was working (what a great guy) the front desk. He told me that I was being upgraded to the oversize suite, which was right down the hall. This room blew me away! When he said oversized, he meant it! When I walked in, to the right was a huge bathroom, complete with soaps and shampoo, mouthwash. On the left side of the room was a "kitchen" area, sink, microwave, frig, counter, coffee maker and a welcome basket with my name on a welcome letter, bottle of water and a bag of chips. Huge bed, big dresser, tv and then the living room area had a couch, coffee table, floor lamps, and a desk. There was even a full size mirror on one of the walls and a closet that was the ironing station, ironing board and iron was in it. This room was super gorgeous! Super clean, it was a shame that my husband couldn't make this trip with me and I had to enjoy this room by myself. Adrian gave me directions to the Riverwalk and he even brought me driving directions to my room so I could find the car rental place in the morning. It was a shame that I had to leave at 3 am to get my flight so I couldn't enjoy this room even more. It's only about 3 blocks from the Riverwalk, which I walked there and fel very safe. San Antonio is such a beauiful city. I would definity stay here again.

i stayed at the Best Western in Laredo this same trip, so please read that review too.

Room Tip: Join the Best Western Reward program to get upgrades!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
4 Thank mexicangirl2
WOW, what an incredible compliment. Thank you for your feedback. We will let Aaron know about his performance...in fact we use all of our TripAvisor comments for Staff Training and Team Building so yours will be at the top of the list for how to do it right. We hope to see you soon, AND please bring your husband so he would enjoy our fair City as well :).
Sacramento, California
Reviewed November 7, 2011

Stayed here with the wife for five nights back in Dec 2010. Great little place. My wife was thoroughly satisfied with the interior, location, and service and that is always the ultimate OK. When wife is happy, life is happy. It had a couch and that was nice after walking all day on the river walk, about a 15 min walk away. We used this place as a base for a week long daytrips throughout the Hill Country. The parking lot was a little small, but we had no problem with space, but we were there in the Off Season, I think. It's a little trickey to get to the parking lot and to the freeway, but just barely. You have to either drive the wrong way for about 15 ft or drive around the block to get to the freeway onramp, but again no biggie. Staff was nice and even gave us free breakfast vouchers after some really noisy teens kept us up until 2am. It took three calls to the front desk before they got security involved. Breakfast was good enough, but we saved our money to eat at Mi Tierra Cafe where you can't go wrong with the chilaquiles! Also, what was really great is that this hotel had a laundromat!

Room Tip: Book directly through Best Western.
  • Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank flip52483
We're glad your wife was happy and that in turn made you happy :) Seriously though, thank you for your feedback and we're glad you enjoyed your trip to San Antonio and the Hill Country...by the way I will make sure I erase the videos of the "Car driving the wrong way on the highway ramp" LOL. See you again soon.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 5, 2011

The hotel is a four block walk to the riverwalk.The room was very large, with a separated sitting/work area. The room and public spaces were clean. The buffet breakfast is only two or three dollars extra. It's buffet style, and while the cooked food is a little tired, there is a decent selection, including cereal, yogurt and fruit, and it certainly is enough to get your day started. The desk staff were all friendly, quick and helpful. The hotel has free parking.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Tony V, General Manager at Best Western Plus Sunset Suites-Riverwalk, responded to this review, November 7, 2011
We are happy you enjoyed our beautiful city and the accommodations at the Best Western Plus Sunset Suites; the FREE Parking is a definite plus and the short walk to the sites will save some money on the downtown parking...we look forward to seeing you again soon.
San antonio TX
Reviewed October 28, 2011

I stayed here on a Friday night while attending the Women of Faith conference at the Alamodome. I wsan't sure abotu staying here, but I was very pleasantly surprised. I headed to the Alamodome early Friday morning and called the hotel for recommendations on where to park. They said since I was staying with them to come there and they would get me apass to park in their lot. When I arrived at 8:30AM, the front desk was fabulous and my room was already ready so I could check in. The hotel is a half-mile from the Alamodome and a fairly easy walk to Rivercenter Mall and the Riverwalk. Staff was wonderfully helpful and pleasant, the room was spacious and very clean. Despite being right on a major street, the outside noise was minimal (though if you tend to be sensitive to noise, ask for a room on the side of the hotel away from Commerce). Overall fantastic stay -- would highly recommend!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the side of the hotel away from Commerce Street for less traffic noise.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank FXMom
Tony V, General Manager at Best Western Plus Sunset Suites-Riverwalk, responded to this review, October 29, 2011
Thank you for your compliments. The annual gathering of The Women of Faith is a huge event for all of us and we enjoy hosting you each time. Yes, the walk to the Alamo Dome and the rest of the sites is absolutely minimal (a mile or so) and the FREE Parking makes it even more suitable for a visit to downtown San Antonio. Hope to see you again next year.
london england
Reviewed October 24, 2011

My wife and i, and another couple stayed here 13-16th october. It was our third visit in around 10 years, and we were pleased to discover that the overall standard has been maintained throughout that period. From the courteous front desk staff, the attentive room cleaning service, the decor both in the public areas and the rooms, and the good value breakfast deal, there was very little that one could complain about, When the location is factored in, easy walking to most of the downtown attractions, public transport right outside the door, the value for money is quite something. If we come this way again ,i would not consider staying anywhere else.

Room Tip: Because of it's close proximity to the railroad track, there is some occasional noise during the...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
It is always a pleasure to see our loyal guests and to have your family back at our property. Thank you for the compliments, our staff is hard at work everyday to maintain high standards as always...thank you and I will let them know of your comments. The Train Whistle (?) may have been your memory of the past (Just Kidding), they stopped blowing about two years ago as part of the new neighborhood ordinance, BUT I will let the authorities know to keep an ear open for a ROGUE train. Thank you, look forward to seeing you again soon.
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed October 21, 2011

My wife and I plus our four small children stayed in an "oversized" suite of this hotel on a recent weekend. It was a very good experience for us, and we will very likely return for a longer stay.

The PROS: It was very clean and comfortable. The staff was very helpful and friendly. It is, apparently, a very popular hotel and tends to stay full, so book early. Parking is free. The downtown shuttle (currently $4/day for a pass) has a pickup point behind the hotel that will get you anywhere downtown you want to go very easily. That's a lot cheaper than paying for downtown parking.

The CONS: It is located right next to a major street and a highway, so expect some street noise, especially if you have a ground floor room facing the street. We were on the fourth floor on the side opposite the street, and the noise didn't bother us at all. Also, the thermostat in our room was off by a few degrees, but once we figured that out, we had no trouble adjusting it.

OTHER: It is not ON the Riverwalk, but it is only a few blocks walk to the Riverwalk and the Riverwalk shopping mall. It is about a half mile walk to the Alamo. The beds are soft and the pillows are VERY thick and fluffy. Room service is contracted to an outside service, so selection is great, but delivery takes about 30-45 minutes. The gift shop sells "healthy" frozen dinners in case you get tired of eating out. Breakfast is continental plus eggs, bacon, sausage, pancakes, etc. Kids get to eat breakfast for free, adults and older children are about $3.50.

Room Tip: Rooms on the back of the hotel are quieter. Also, book your room early as they fill up fast.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Tony V, General Manager at Best Western Plus Sunset Suites-Riverwalk, responded to this review, October 24, 2011
Thank you for your feedback...we look forward to seeing you again soon, we hope :)