“Diamond in the Rough”

Best Western Plus Sunset Suites-Riverwalk
Ranked #45 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed March 28, 2011

We weren't sure what to expect; Best Westerns can be hit or miss. But this was an excellent hotel! Great price, free parking (a HUGE plus!), nice rustic decor rooms, very comfy beds! This is a diamond in the rough! It's a very short walk to the riverwalk and the price makes it all worth while! The rooms are a bit dark, but it adds to a nice getaway feeling. Even though it is right by the interstate, we never heard any road noise, etc. We will most certainly stay here again when visiting San Antonio.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank EG2007
BexarHotel, Manager at Best Western Plus Sunset Suites-Riverwalk, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2011

Thank you. We think our guests are jewels!!!

Reviewed March 24, 2011

We had multiple issues with this room. First, I had called over a month ago to ask about being able to park our popup camper there. They assured me it shouldn't be a problem and if it was, that they had "another lot". No mention of it being over a block away and that there would be an add'l cost. We arrived and it was clear that we wouldn't be able to park in their tiny lot and we were informed it would be at least $10 to park over a block away. Luckily we were able to find street parking. We thought our room was very nicely decorated but after heading to the river walk for dinner, etc. we came back and were relaxing and I discovered mouse droppings on the windowsill and on the air conditioner. My 8 y.o. son was playing right there on the floor. I went down to the desk and they did give us another room but we had to pack everything up and move. The new room had such a noisy air conditioner that my husband had to get up and move the table in front of it in the middle of the night to stop the awful noise. In the morning we discovered there was no shower curtain! Upon checking out I asked for a discount (this was NOT a cheap room) and was told the manager would call or email me. At 1 pm I called back because I had heard nothing. The mgr. informed me that there would be no discount since they gave us another room. He eventually agreed to send a BW gift card for $25 but said that he saw no droppings in the room and neither did the housekeeper, basically saying we made it up. Why would we make that up? I did not appreciate this insinuation that we were lying. I didn't think to videotape the droppings like the previous reviewer with the ants. I never dreamt they would not only not apologize but not admit the droppings were there in the first place. I suspect the housekeeper who didn't want to get in trouble for not cleaning well cleaned them up and then said they were never there. We're talking at least 8 droppings. Not once did the manager apologize. And he did offer that they "were not going to charge us for the missing shower curtain". Excuse me??? You're not going to charge us for the shower curtain that was never there? Avoid this place!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank vagabondmom1
Reviewed March 21, 2011

Behind the facade of a century-old commercial block lies this modern hotel, ideally located just a short walk from the River Walk, but safely away from the crowds and noise. Best of all, it's an easy walk to/from the train station, so I used it for the first and last nights of my Amtrak trip to Texas. Reception and service were friendly, rooms spacious and well-appointed, with large bed, nice wooden furniture, and walk-in shower stall. An interstate runs by across the street, but was inaudible from inside the room; I slept soundly. The full breakfast buffet is well worth the (nominal) charge of $3.45.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Ranke
Reviewed March 18, 2011

We stayed at the BEST WESTERN Sunset Suites - Riverwalk in San Antonio on March 17th, 2011 in room 111.

After spending the entire day and night walking all the Riverwalk area, we returned to our nice, new looking room at 11:00pm. My daughter saw a huge ant on the wall and killed it. I didn't think much of it, but then there was another, and another, and another. There were huge ants on the walls and furniture. We pulled back the curtains to find a bunch more. In all, we counted at least 30 HUGE ants. (Link to my video): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHPkB6cNZWM

I immediately called the front desk. A guy named Art came right to our room...I showed him the ants, he said he'd be right back with spray. He never came back! The girl at the front desk said she was sorry and was trying to call the main manager to "ask what to do".

By 12:30 am, she still couldn't get ahold of him. Again, she apologized and said they were SOLD OUT and had NO other rooms to put us in. I told her it was gross and who knows if they'll be crawling on us in the bed since they were on the wall right behind the bed. She agreed, but said there was nothing she could do.

When we checked out the next morning, I complained again to Ashley and another girl at the front desk. They said they were sorry...I told them I wasn't paying the $111 + tax for that nasty room. Ashley told me to hold on and she phoned the manager on duty, John Stewart. Then, she gets off the phone and told me the manager said to take 15% off.
I was irritated at that and said we stayed in a disgusting room with huge ants everywhere and you are only going to take 15% off?

I told her I have video of the room...the other girl asked if she could watch it. She was grossed out and asked if she could show my video to the manager. I told her sure...she walked into a little office right behind the front desk. I thought to myself, why on earth did they just call JOHN STEWART on the phone when he was sitting in his office with the door opened not 12 feet away??

She came back out and told Ashley that John Stewart okayed them to take 50% off!

This manager didn't have the decency to come out to apologize or anything! I still couldn't believe we stayed in a gross room with huge ants everywhere with video proof and John did NOT come out of his office after watching my video and tell me, "I am sorry and there is $0 charge for your awful stay here...and let me offer you 1 free night in the future to try us again." That would have been the right thing to do in my mind.

Besides, the grossness of huge ants everywhere in our room...this Best Western does NOT have enough parking spaces for guests. When we were walking back last night, we watched a lady parking on the public street carrying her luggage.

As modern as the rooms look, they still only have the old-fashioned, boxy 27" tvs....they need to upgrade to larger lcd tvs...especially for rooms called "suites"!

This was my 1st review to ever write....we were so grossed out about the ants and "lack of" John Stewart's concern...I had to write. I hope I can upload or link my video for everyone to see of the gross ants. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHPkB6cNZWM

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank TexasToys
Reviewed March 17, 2011

While it does not hav a view of the River Walk, this Best Western is about a three block walk away and less expensive than those on the walk. It is decorated in a total mission style which was quite nice. However all the room were lit only by lamps with no overhead lights which made it seem somewhat dim all the time. The room was quite room with a separate sitting area with a couch and very nice desk. It was very clean and seemed nicely maintained.

Breakfast here is not free, but the cost is less than going out for breakfast. The selection is greater than the free continental style offered at many hotels, more of a buffet style with things like scrambled eggs and pancakes in warming pans. However if you eat late be warned that the food may be removed promptly at the end of the listed time.

Overall this is a very nice hotel at a very reasonable price, and we were able to walk pretty much anywhere from there in the downtown area. The only time we took out our car was to go to the missions.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 8, 2011

We spent three nights here and would thank other Tripadvisor members for steering us to this hotel. Others' fears about its location were groundless: five minutes walk to the Riverwalk on well-lit streets and five minutes in the other direction to Sunset Station and an excellent Mexican restaurant. The room was very comfortable, with a separate seating area, wide selection of tv channels, excellent and varied breakfast buffet and friendly, helpful staff. Parking was free - a bonus in that location. If we go back to San Antonio we won't look anywhere else.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Chorizogolf
Reviewed March 7, 2011

This hotel is really very nice. The rooms are set up so nice with a little living area to watch TV or just read. The one & only thing that could be improved upon is the lighting. It is as another reviewer had said very dim. The lights are just right for the decor but not so good to read by. We really liked the breakfast which is a small additional cost if you want it. There is a Dennys down the street but we liked the breakfast here alot. We slept great in this bed the best of any of the hotels we have stayed at. We have been in 6 before this one in the last month so a good nights sleep is great. We would stay here again if ever back. Love the hotel & love the Riverwalk.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple