“Amazing Food,” 5 of 5 bubbles

Neighborhood: Midtown
San Antonio
“Amazing Food,”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2014

Having grown up in South Texas I consider myself to be somewhat of an expert when it comes to Mexican Food. This is my favorite for a number of items including enchiladas, crispy tacos, hue so rancheros and Migas. Arguably the best thing at this classic are the brisket tacos. Smoked to perfection, juicy and tender, it is my go to lunch and breakfast stop. The brisket nachos (new item)
are amazing.

• Visited August 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Mackman57

San Antonio, TX
“MIND BLOWING BRISKET!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2014

Oh Garcia's, how much to I love thee...

You will feel this way after you eat the dry rub brisket at Garcia's Mexican Restaurant. This is simply the best dry rub brisket I have ever tried. The meat is soooo juicy, perfectly marbled to add flavor but not too much. I have recommended Garcia's to friends and let me share the experiences of 3 of these folks:

(1) co-worker: after she ate there the first time, her and her husband at there another 4 times over the next 3 weeks. She and her husband raved about the brisket.
(2) my father: he had heard me talk about it so much so he want one day with my mom while they were visiting. I was eager to hear his thoughts about the brisket to make sure I wasn't over-selling the place. I will always laugh when I think of the emotion he put into it when he told me, "Pero esos primeros mordiscos eran gloriosos!" Each time he comes into town now, he heads straight there.
(3) my buddy from Florida: He has visited about four times in the last year. Each time he comes for a visit I pick him up at the airport and he immediately requests that we go straight to Garcia's for the brisket (he always schedules afternoon arrivals to ensure we can go eat).

Now the rub on the restaurant. It is a small place off of IH-10 towards downtown San Antonio. The neighborhood isn't great but not bad either. The restaurant is small and has about 15-20 tables total. It is run by a family, brothers and sisters, I believe. The service is always very good. The decor is divey but to me that means the food is gonna be great. The food comes quick. I always order the same thing, the brisket plate. This is served with slices of brisket, refried beans, Mexican rice, and a little garnish salad. 2 tortillas come with the plate. It's a a juicy dry rub, BBQ sauce is not offered and that would detract from the wonderful flavor of the meat. I recommend you stuff the brisket into a tortilla and bite...heaven will feel that much closer.

I eat here once a month and my employees love it when we have lunch outings at Garcia's. There are other good items on the menu (my mom says the enchiladas are great) but I don't even bother when nirvana is so accessible.

They charge you for the chips. I was at first offended by that, this is San Antonio, you don't charge for chips and salsa!!!!! But I believe they are homemade and once you eat the brisket you won't care about the cost of the chips (necessary evil).

A few notes. I have found that the brisket is best on Mon-Wed. Great always, but seems better on those days. Weekends always good.

I love the four different Man with Rooster paintings that decorate the left side of the restaurant as you walk in. At first I wondered why they needed four Man with Rooster paintings (very similar poses). Then I noticed it looked like an aging series with the man older and older. So I inquired why the aged series of Man with Rooster and they told me it wasn't an aged series. Huh? Then why have four (!) Man with Rooster paintings? No answer. Man with Rooster adds to the charm.

Inexpensive menu.

• Visited June 2014
Chicago, IL
“Best Mexican Food In San Antonio”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2014

Garcia's is a small unassuming restaurant that you could easily drive by & pass up if you're not careful. However, there is nothing unassuming about the food. Each dish is prepared with homemade deliciousness & full of bold flavors. The homemade warm flour tortillas complement each dish. The staff is pleasant and the prices are great. The restaurant is very small so expect to wait for a table, but trust me the food is worth the wait & you won't be disappointed. When I return to San Antonio, Garcia's will be the first restaurant I'll stop at.

• Visited May 2014
San Antonio, Texas
“Best Brisket taco & ribs”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2014 via mobile

Unassuming small family owned and operated. Only open for breakfast and lunch and be prepared to wait a bit...but well worth it. Brisket tacos with pico de gallo is a must! Have a Big Red to drink...great combo! Ribs are award winning but available on the first Friday of the month ONLY! You might even run into a local celebrity (Augie Myers) while you're there. Can't miss...enjoy!!

Visited February 2014
San Antonio
“Best Food in SA!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2014

I am definitely biased but for the money this is absolutely the Best Restaurant in San Antonio! Brisket Plate, Enchiladas, Machacado, Pork Chop Tacos, etc. etc. are the best. Service very attentive and Habanero Sauce is a must!

• Visited March 2014