“Happy Wife, Happy Life!”
Review of Sichuan Cuisine - CLOSED

Sichuan Cuisine
Cuisines: Chinese
San Antonio, Texas
“Happy Wife, Happy Life!”
Reviewed April 23, 2014

Lunch specials hit on the usual selection of beef, pork, chicken and shrimp dishes offered with an egg roll, choice between 2 soups and fried or steamed rice. Nothing out of the ordinary there. The regular menu looked extensive though, with some interesting and unusual selections.
The prices are certainly reasonable and the portions maybe just a bit less than comparable Asian restaurant lunch specials. I will start out by saying that I liked the Mongolian beef that I had, but you had better like onions as the dish was served with an overwhelming amount of them in proportion to the meat. Rather the way I like to eat liver though (which rarely happens, pate notwithstanding); 2 lbs of onions to 2 ozs liver! I also liked the egg roll . . . what there was of it. It would take at least three of them to make up one typically served. The shrimp and veggie dish suffered from the same treatment as the Mongolian Beef with a higher than normal ratio of carrots, snow peas and mushrooms to the amount of shrimp. I know that the veggie to meat proportion is high in the country of this food's origin, it's just that it did not quite measure up again to comparable Chinese food restaurants in San Antonio. And finally the fried rice was edible but a little gummy and lackluster. Pass the soy sauce please . . .
Absolutely nothing inedible about the food here overall. In fact, I cleaned my plate; given, I was hungry as I had had no breakfast. I just could not find anything special or worth a repeat visit for the items we had. The difference must be outside the lunch menu for those that deliver high accolades for this place. I wouldn't mind trying the place again, but not for the lunch specials. Much better renditions to be had for the same price elsewhere. It would also definitely be a hard sell to get my wife to return as her assessment of lunch was much less glowing than mine. And as the aphorism in my fortune cookie today stated, "Happy Wife, Happy Life!"

• Visited April 2014

“Authentic Chinese”
Reviewed October 11, 2013

This is the best authentic chinese food in san antonio. Its delicous and the price is not too bad. Order the double cooked pork, you will not be disappointed.

Visited October 2013
San Antonio, Texas
“great authentic chinese food”
Reviewed May 18, 2013

This is a wonderful authentic chinese restaurant-no syrupy mall chinese. My family and i have eaten here many times since moving to san antonio in april, and i don't think we are willing to try another place because it is so good. I recommend the twice cooked beef, crispy spicy chicken, and the pork with peking sauce.

• Visited May 2013
San Antonio, Tx
“great authentic Chinese food”
Reviewed September 3, 2012 via mobile

Wonderful food and service! Best Chinese food in San Antonio! pork with Peking sauce outstanding! more than worth 45 drive. do not miss dining here!

Placitas, New Mexico
“Much better than most”
Reviewed January 17, 2012

Having read about Sichuan Cuisine on another review site, it was our first destination after getting off the plane in San Antonio. Upon discovering "real" Sichuan food on a visit to China in 2010, we've since been in pursuit of it here at home. We've found that what is typically billed as Sichuan or Szechuan here isn't remotely similar to what is produced in Chengdu. So far we've come across only a couple of restaurants that have hit the nail on the head. We enjoyed a delightful dinner at Sichuan Cuisine, ordering a couple different appetizers and entrees. While it was all delicious and came very close to the "real deal", that very distinctive flavor of Sichuan peppercorns wasn't present. When you've tasted Sichuan peppercorns or Sichuan peppercorn oil, it's an addictive flavor (and slightly numbing sensation) that you're not likely to forget. Maybe it's there in some of their other dishes but we didn't quite detect it in the items that we ordered. Still, if we were in the San Antonio area longer we would surely return. The wait staff was very friendly and attentive. This restaurant is definitely worth looking up.

• Visited January 2012