“Exceeded Expectations Again”

Restaurant Gwendolyn
Reserve with OpenTable
Restaurant Gwendolyn is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #114 of 4,714 Restaurants in San Antonio
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: N St Mary
Description: Classic, Fine Dining, Strictly Local All perishable products from within a 150 mile radius. Everything made by hand as it was done in 1850, without electric machines. Everything made by the classic methods, using only preparations that existed in San Antonio in 1850. We are the reflection of Old Texas in a graceful, romantic setting by the river.
Reviewed January 27, 2013

This was the 2nd time we have visited Restaurant Gwendolyn. I was afraid that I was too excited and would be let down - not a chance! They exceeded my expectations again. We selected the 5 course menu with the wine pairing. The flavors are amazing and you are treated to combinations of food you would never imagine and they are wonderful! You will not find food like this anywhere else in San Antonio - a must visit for visitors and locals.

Reviewed November 14, 2012

We stumbled across this restaurant by accident. What a find! Interesting dishes, very tasty. We had the 3-course dinner, with a cheese plate to start. Wine pairing was excellent. We will return anytime we are in San Antonio.

Reviewed October 11, 2012

Its definitely a splurge, but it's hands down the best meal we've had in 4 years in San Antonio. I'll go back every chance I can afoo

Reviewed September 23, 2012

Amazing food, exceptional wine paring, and superb service. Probably the best meal we have had in San Antonio and we have lived here for 3 years. We will be back!

Reviewed September 16, 2012

My wife and I enjoyed a perfect dining experience at Restaurant Gwendolyn. Restaurant Gwendolyn provided the perfect start to the evening before going to the Tony Bennett show at the Majestic Theatre. We chose Gwendolyn for the location overlooking the river but away from crowds, the fascinating menu, and attentive but not intrusive service. We chose the 5 course tasting menu and wine pairings. The wait staff were most helpful in describing the courses and preparations. Amuse bouche consisted of rice and chorizo wrapped in a leaf and topped with, I believe, crumbles of feta cheese. The second course consisted of apple and arugula salad with toasted pecans. The texture and contrasting flavors were interesting and, of course, most delicious paper thin slices of apple, caramelized onions, and a butter milk dressing along with the lightly toasted pecans. We continued with the oyster gratin which was very good but not quite a flavorful. The cantaloupe sorbet provided the perfect interlude before our entrees. The menu offered steak marchand de vin, which was our choice, and hay crusted quail. the steak was perfectly cooked seasoned. I was intrigued by the waitresses description of the quail which really was wrapped in hay; I hope to return and choose the quail. Finally, coffee and dessert ended our luxurious meal. The coffee and cigarettes consisted of semi sweet chocolate wafers resting on a cream. I was a bit concerned when I learned that the ice cream was infused with tobacco, but it was amazingly delicious. The ice cream was arguably delicious; dessert provided another experience of interesting and complementary flavors, perfectly paired. Coffee was prepared at the table in a German siphon. Wow! Yes, it was pricey, but worth the experience. Small portions were expected because the menu was a tasting menu. We left the restaurant amazed and sated but without overeating. Yes, San Antonio does offer refined and luxurious dining experiences.