“Best food in San Antonio”

Marianitos Extreme Tex Mex Grill
Cuisines: Mexican
Neighborhood: Northwest Side
Description: (210) 433-7100 West Side 2102 Bandera Rd San Antonio, TX 78228 Marianito's Extreme Tex-Mex Grill in San Antonio, TX, is attracting bear appetites with the 7-pound Extreme Grizzly Burrito on Food Network's Outrageous Food with Tom Pizzica. Featured By: Tom Pizzica Featured On: Outrageous Food - "The 2-Foot Pancake"
Reviewed March 25, 2013 via mobile

I can say my husband and myself have been here more than 20 times and have told my coworkers in which they keep coming back. Everything we have tried has been awesome. Don't miss trying the Green Chili cheese burger the best flavor ever and I always go back for the cheese enchiladas, check out their Facebook specials. I always recommend this place.

1  Thank wendyjuanes
There are newer reviews for Marianitos Extreme Tex Mex Grill

Reviewed March 13, 2013

This was my 3rd visit. 1st time cause of groupon, 2nd to try a facebook special. I kept hoping it would get better, didnt happen. 1st time, 1st impression, portions were small. They serve on giant plates so it looks like more. 2nd visit, facebook special, burger and fries and chicken fried steak. Burger was from frozen patty which I found a piece of what appeared to be bone in the meat, chicken fried steak was bland and there was maybe 12 fries on the plate. 3rd time taco salad, was good but as stated in previous post, beans must be from a can. And Lent special, 2 small fried shrimp and maybe a 4oz piece of fried fish and again with the fries. Definately smaller portion than fb pic showed.
Next, service as displayed by owners. "Chef" FX walked by our table... 6 times! Not a word or welcome and the restaurant was practically empty. Wife walks by 8 times never said a thing including walking by an empty tea glass 3 times. Our waitress was ok. Not great.
There is nothing extreme about this place, except everything they serve is EXTREMELY unhealthy. Atmosphere lacks all the way around. Lots of restaurants let customers write on the wall. This place has to approve what is written and will paint over if you write without permission. Was told this by a waiter cause my son wanted to write his name on the wall, he was 4 and waiter kind of flipped out and said "oh well we'll just paint over it." Visit 2, visit 3 his name was gone.

I recommend Jacala's on west ave for mexican and Mamacita's on IH 10 for tex mex with a GREAT variety of american food. Both are locally owned. Jacala's original family owns and operates still and are always friendly and welcoming. And Mamacita's is owned by a single local (from kerrville) owner still and you can find the original (since 1980something) head CHEF Ernesto, at the San Antonio location always greeting customers. The owner also frequents all restaurants.

I do not suggest Marianito's for any reason. There are much better places in san antonio. Dont waste your time.

3  Thank a2305
Reviewed January 21, 2013

For sure this is not Tex Mex. Closer to Taco Bell. The corn and flour tortillas are store bought. The chips are fried but no better than the generic chips at HEB. The nachos have black olives on them. The beans probably come from a can and are very bland. The food sucks. No self respecting San Antonian would ever think they serve Tex Mex there. Walk a block down Bandera and you will find real Tex Mex cuisine with authentic flavor. I am embarrassed to think that people who visit San Antonio would actually eat at that joint and think that is what we eat here.

The service was terrible. There are a total of maybe 10 tables and there were one or two that were empty the day that we went. The waitress/co-owner/wife told us they were "slammed" and it would be a while before we got our food. I could not help but guess that there was a section of the place we were not seeing. Nope, they had 3 or 4 servers and could not manage 10 tables.

Did not try the burgers or pizza but it does not matter because we are never coming back.

1  Thank B M
Reviewed December 5, 2012

I came because the review here said it was a great meal. Not even close.
When I arrived at 6:15 pm on a Wednesday night, there was only one car in the parking lot. I forgot this was a CASH only place, so I drove a mile down the road to Well Fargo to pull some out..
When I returned there was three cars in the parking lot.

This a non-chain family restaurant. I guess the big thing going for it is the portion size. But I didn't find much else noteworthy. I believe the chips was out of a food service bag; I recognize the salsa as food service faire I've had elsewhere, not homemade at all.

I went out looking for a Tex-Mex restaurant with good Margaritas - it was a long day at a boring conference. I didn't want to drive all the way downtown to La Margarita - principally because I wanted a couple great Margaritas. Mirianito's doesn't have liquor license - no beer, wine, or *GASP* Margaritas.

I ordered the Fajitas for One as that's a good test of any Mexican restaurant. I chose the mixed Chicken and Steak Fajitas and they were cooked well - moist - but rather bland. I don't think they were marinated well. Overall OK, but only average.

I don't think I'd return, I couldn't recommend it to others.

1  Thank NorthernVAJim
Reviewed November 20, 2012

This is the place to go if you really want to leave full. Very casual atmosphere and the service was very good. Really good texmex. I had puffy tacos, which I had never seen before. They were filled with steak and a pleasant change from a usual taco. My wife had a huge burrito - not the 7 lb challenge but still very large. The desserts were the killers. Everything was batter dipped and fried. My wife had the usual fried ice cream that was tasty. I had the fried cheesecake with strawberries. They even fried slices of pumpkin pie and oreos. It was all very good but not sure I could eat there often without gaining mucho weight. Prices were very reasonable, especially for the amount of food.