“Unsatisfied”

Hampton Inn San Antonio Downtown (River Walk)
Ranked #87 of 355 Hotels in San Antonio
“Unsatisfied”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

My mom stayed here a week ago and she left her jacket and pants in her room. She called the hotel room service manager and let her know she'd be back in a week and the manager said she'd hold onto her clothes. We come back to the hotel and the front desk staff were incredibly rude and didn't bother checking with the manager at all and basically told us things just so we'd leave them alone. The staff is awful. The room is alright, your average hotel room. And its near the riverwalk which isn't bad. But the staff's rudeness is a huge issue. Don't be surprised if they roll their eyes at you when you ask them something. And make sure you have all your belongings, because you might never see them again thanks to them!

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank klz10

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
west palm beach,fl
Reviewed February 15, 2013

I recently spent 4 nights for my husband's 30th birthday. This hotel's location is perfect, 2 blocks to The Alamo, and a less than 5 minute walk to the Riverwalk. Free continental breakfast is served daily with a good selection of foods. The rooms are comfortable, modern, and clean,. The only downside is the $15 a day parking; however we never moved the car and this price is not bad in comparison to other hotels. If I am ever in San Antonio again, I would definitely stay here again. Great pick!!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed February 15, 2013

I normally prefer hotels on the riverwalk and was a bit concerned about the location, but it turned out to be a great spot--near the local sights and easy to get on and off of the highway.

The staff members were friendly and helpful. Rooms were spacious and delightfully clean. It is odd that the hotel puts a little sticky on your bed that says "Clean bedding and Duvet for each guest." I mean, what about the towels?!

Breakfast was quite good but the hotel was slammed when we were there and it was hard to find a place to sit and they ran out of things often. I did appreciate the the people working were cheerful and helpful even though they were pretty swamped.

We found the quick walk to the local restaurants, stores, and tourist sites to be very pleasant and as we were in town for the Alamo Bowl, were more pleased that the arena was a short walk away so we didn't have to deal with traffic.

I usually prefer a bit of charm in a hotel but this property is a perfectly good, reasonably priced option.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank jMacL
Houston, Texas
Reviewed February 8, 2013 via mobile

I am just now leaving this hotel. I've written many reviews on this site and this will be my first truly bad one. From the beginning the staff wasn't very friendly. We had a large group needing 15 rooms that we booked months ahead of time and called several times to say we wanted to have the rooms on the same floor, same area because there were a number of kids staying together in rooms (13-14 year olds). We ended up with 3 rooms on different floors. And the check in process took over 30 minutes when they knew exactly when we'd show up. We've stayed at other Hampton Inns in other cities with our group and have never had this problem - check in always takes about 5 minutes - verify info, sign some stuff - all keys and forms are printed and ready. Not this time.
I personally called down for an extra blanket twice, yet never got one.
This morning three of our boys woke up with bite marks on their legs. In one of their rooms (my son's) they actually saw a bed bug in the sheets at the end of the bed. I had them take a video of it. Very disappointing since there were signs around saying all sheets and even the duvet comforters are cleaned every stay.
Not again - I don't think I'd stay in a Hampton Inn again and I will work with our group to ensure they don't either.

• Stayed February 2013
3 Thank SherriLR
Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed February 2, 2013

We stayed here for only one night and not impressed with the beat up, small room that had highway noise . I paid about $130 with the parking fee and this was with a AARP discount so I expected more. This hotel was dwarfed by the newer high rise hotels that abound in the Riverwalk area. It's location was soso and I disliked walking back after dinner in the dark for a few blocks.
The breakfast was subpar for Hampton Inn, front desk was competent but unfriendly...really no reason to ever rec this place even though they did let me park in their lot hours before check in.
I would book elsewhere in the 8 block radius, even paying a few bucks more and have a classier stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jonesyguy
Alamogordo, New Mexico
Reviewed January 28, 2013 via mobile

Check in was quick and smooth. One thing that I was not aware of when I booked the hotel there is a $15 a night parking fee so keep that in mind if you are having an extended stay. There was fresh coffee, ice water, and chocolate chip cookies waiting in the lobby. And when I told the desk clerk I needed a roll away bed we had it before we had a chance to open our bags once in the room. Breakfast is served till 10 every morning and its quite a spread. Along with the normal breakfast fare cereal, bagels, and you gut, there was also fresh fruit hard boiled eggs, waffle station and two hot items scrambled eggs with ham and cheese, and hot spiced potatoes. Everything was wonderful except the eggs were rubbery and just not very good. But hey it's free. We were in a single queen bed room and there was plenty of space for an additional bed. The bathroom was a little larger than I expected not huge but bigger then normal. The place was quiet all weekend except for the Sunday we were to check out. We had an adjoining room and sound traveled quite well when our neighbors were moving out at the end of their stay. The location is good a very short walk to the river center mall and if you got tired of walking by the end of the night only a $7 cab ride back from the riverwalk. All in all a great hotel clean quiet, courteous, and speedy staff. Iw ill stay here again if I get the chance

Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Justin W
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Great location but the hotel is a little older. Parts of the restroom were not functioning properly, and they were a bit understaffed. The breakfast selection was mediocre but it was probably because they're were tons of guests that morning

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends