“Very Disappointed!”

Hilton San Antonio Hill Country Hotel
Ranked #82 of 357 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed August 4, 2007

We stayed 3 nights. The hotel/lobby is classy and tasteful. Our room was the pitts. We booked from priceline. READ THE FINE PRINT. Because I didn't, they gave us a King instead of two Queens. We were traveling with kids so luckily one of the staff was nice enough to give us a "handicap accessible" room with two beds. The room was ugly and had a big stain in the middle of the floor. The bathroom was fancy/beautiful...too bad we couldn't sleep in the bathroom. The bedspreads were shabby and lumpy. Not what I was expecting from a hotel of that caliber or price. Maybe it was because we had to take "left-overs" but I would assume every room, even the handicap rooms would all be equal. The front foyer outside smelled of dog mess. I thought at first it was just a one time deal. We were there for 3 days and it was very noticable every time we walked in or out of the hotel. The breakfast buffet was awful. I have stayed at hotels with free continental breakfasts that were better than the $50 breakfast (3 buffets and 1 kids meal) we ate. We picked this hotel partially because it was a "preferred" hotel for SeaWorld. The shuttle they had was only a large passenger van and we would have had to wait for 30 or 45 min. to get on the van because of the line. We opted to drive the 3 or 4 miles to SeaWorld and pay the $10 parking instead of waiting around for the shuttle. They should have had two going but didn't. We justified the money spent on the hotel by thinking we would be saving money from a Riverwalk hotel because gas, parking downtown, and SeaWorld parking. We should have stayed on the Riverwalk or a cheaper hotel near SeaWorld. I would NOT recommend this hotel for the price. Although I got a great rate from Priceline my whole family was disappointed in the hotel. We will never stay there again. I'll stick with the Riverwalk Hotels next time we visit beautiful San Antonio!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank MeMeG
Write a ReviewReviews (1,656)

Reviewed June 7, 2007

Based on the reviews here, I was a little apprehensive, but because the military rate at the Radisson was 1/2 that of the Hill Country Hyatt, I thought I would take the risk.

From the moment we walked in, I was surprised. The foyer is nicely laid out with lots of wood trim. I had booked 2 queen beds and we got a Suite with a porch and 1Q and 1 Q pullout. The room was very nicely laid out with 2 rooms (bedroom/living area) and a bar area with a fridge but no microwave. The bathroom was one of the nicer and larger I have ever seen in a hotel with an all glass shower and rain head. The couch was worn and kind of gross. Someone called within minutes to make sure everything was okay.

The outdoor pool area is nice. The kids enjoyed the movie at night and Smores ALTHOUGH you have to pay $3 for a smores kit that makes 4 smores. Recommend you bring your own. Pool are could have been more clean and there was a lot of nasty trash (used bandaids) floating in the pool (which were not cleaned up 24 hours later). Shuttle to Sea World was great and saves you $10. Buffet at restaraunt was average. All the food advertised was not available and the selection was not great for $12.50. However, kids under 6 eat free, so that was a good deal. Wife ordered a $6 margarita from pool bar that was not great, but the beer prices were normal (~$3). Ordered food for kids from bar and it was decent. Overall, food prices were reasonable, much better than what was reported for the Hyatt. Also, in addition to the nearby McDonalds and Rudy's BBQ, there is a HUGE shopping area about 5 minutes down the road with numerous chain restaraunts, so if you wanted some variety, it is not too far off at all.

The bar area is nice with a variety of seating and TV's. It was a great place to watch the Spurs play, and I liked the popcorn machine.

Lots of families here and I would not go here if I was looking for quiet.

Overall, I was pleased and we will stay here again the next time we go to Sea World. I paid $103 a night which was a good value. I would not pay $200 for this hotel. I agree it is resort-ish; not a full resort, but more than a regular hotel. The "gym" was small and average with a few treadmills and some workout equipment.

2  Thank Joshb2j
Reviewed May 22, 2007

After reading the Tripadvisor reviews after already booking this hotel, I was nervous; however, I was pleasantly surprised with our nice stay at the Raddison. We did not experience any problems during our stay. Check-in took only a few minutes. The rooms are that of a four star hotel. The bed was comfortable, the room was appropriately decorated, the bathroom was very nice and large, and a king room easily accommodated a crib without impeading on the space. Because of a weird schedule we kept one day, housekeeping never made it to our room; however, they made sure we had towels and even had the front desk call to ask if we needed anything. They tell you to call if you need a specific room cleaning time.

We chose the hotel based on its proximity to Sea World. As such, we decided to try the shuttle service - we were so thankful we did! The shuttles are very easy to find, and all staff members were eager to assist if you needed information. We did go to Sea World different times than most guests (arriving earlier and leaving earlier), so there was always a shuttle waiting at the hotel. The shuttle drivers provide a business card with a number to call if there isn't a shuttle at Sea World when you want to leave. We saw the shuttle pulling away at Sea World and called the number - the driver turned around at the entrance and came back and picked us up. I was impressed with this service. Not only was it fast and convenient, it saved us money and more walking.

We never ate dinner at the hotel, but were able to pick up fast breakfast at the on-site convenient store. We headed downtown for dinner - the drive was only about 15-20 minutes. There are also several other dining options within 10 minutes of the hotel. The pools were nice, and our toddler enjoyed the zero-entry pool. The gym was actually very impressive. They have a variety of cardio machines and a separate weight room - this was one of the best gyms we've seen/used in our travels.

We were expecting the worst based on reviews, but experienced the best. We will stay here during our next trip to San Antonio. We had a great visit.

1  Thank EATulsa
Reviewed May 13, 2007

Stayed one night in one of the suite rooms. The suite for $260 a night was quite small. The pool was hot so much that it was like swimming in a bath tube and sweating. The complementary breakfast left a lot to be desired. I had to point out to a waiter that some of the dishes in the buffet line were still dirty; bug on plate and dried food on spoon.

Next time we might look at other alternatives in the area. Although, it was nice that the hotel was close to Sea World. The kids enjoyed roasting s'mores over the open fire pits. The facility was clean and had nice visual appeal.

1  Thank robinsjt
Reviewed May 9, 2007

We pricelined this hotel. It's in very close proximity to Sea World although we didn't choose it based on that; we didn't go to Sea World.

The hotel has a great pool and patio area. It's beautiful. The grounds are well kept and shaded.

It was very busy upon our arrival and throughout our stay. Every other time I've pricelined a room, we've been given two beds though priceline doesn't guarantee this. I just didn't think about it when I booked and we were put into a room with only one bed. I asked if there were other avilable rooms but it was a full house. We had two adults, two children, and a baby. We ordered a rollaway bed which sufficed for the older children and the baby slept with us. It was cramped but doable. (So word to the wise, if more than one bed is a must, priceline may not be an option.) There was some sort of large group there for a conference and plenty of vacationers so the lobby and pool area were quite crowded. I assume because of the crowding, the staff was very hurried and unfortunately not very friendly. (I've since discovered the unfriendly staff to be pretty common at every other Radisson I've stayed at.)

The room itself was clean and comfortable. The bed linens seemed upgraded from most 2 1/2-3 star hotels. We never visited the spa and I'm not sure I'd call this facility a resort per se; there weren't enough neighboring attractions to make that claim. But it was a nice hotel.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled with family
2  Thank wanderlust512
Reviewed February 28, 2007

Poorly layed out. Smoke permiates the air, hard to sleep with the smell of smoke. Very pricey, presents little value. Would not return for half the price.

Stayed: February 2007
Reviewed February 9, 2007

Terrible stay. Service is awful. We were here for a conference and I took the kids down at 11:00 to eat lunch and the restaurant was closed. There was no where to eat except room service. The room was dirty, the bathroom especially. Our room was non-smoking, but the whole floor smelled like smoke. The dead bolt on the door wouldn't go back in and when we called down for maintence she told us to go outside, wiggle the door handle and bang on it to get it back in!! The shower leaked water all over the bathroom floor everytime it was used. I guess that was a good thing since it cleaned the dirty floor!! I would definately NOT stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled on business