Hilton San Antonio Hill Country Hotel & Spa
Ranked #82 of 357 Hotels in San Antonio
Texas
“The Best”
Reviewed July 1, 2009

This is a great place for the family and is so close to Sea World. I felt that the children were safe and well entertained. The staff was great! We will be staying here again!!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Red044

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed June 19, 2009

Got the hotel on Priceline for a decent rate, for the money the hotel was okay. Location is far north so unless you plan on going to the parks. Room was comfortable, service was okay, nothing specatular.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends
Naples, Florida
Reviewed June 2, 2009

Stayed one night and on the tip of the front desk found a great BBQ place just down the street which really hit the stop. The rooms were comfortable and the beds were awesome. Overall, although a short stay, we found the Hilton a great place to stay

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Austin, Texas
Reviewed May 26, 2009

Don't let the "Spa" in the name fool you -- this is hardly a resort-like hotel. We stayed here accidentally because I got this property confused with the Hyatt Resort nearby, but once we arrived the Hyatt was sold out so we gave this one a chance. Our first impression was the absence of bellmen and valet staff, so I grabbed a bell cart and took care of things myself (and I'm no diva, but I do enjoy being pampered if I'm going to book a "nice" hotel.").

I must say that unlike most guests at the Hilton, who are just there to sleep in between SeaWorld jaunts, we went with two very simple goals -- stay one night, hang out by the pool with our 6-year old, and order room service and watch movies. The front desk clerk was unfriendly and apathetic, and booked us in a non smoking room that reeked of smoke. We got "upgraded" to a 5th floor room that was smokeless, but aside from the two comfortable beds the room was nothing to speak of.

After moving rooms, we headed down to the pool. I must warn you that if you're wanting an adult-only pool (which they say they have on their property map), forget it -- the lap pool intended for adults was packed with kids, and the main pool is very small. Also, the hotel promoted a heated lap pool and there was only one solar coil working so the heated pool was cold. The hot tub attached to the pool was semi-warm with no working jets and pretty murky. I will say that if you have toddlers who can't swim there's a pretty nice wading pool that was clean on the opposide side of the main pool area. I will say that the maintenance guys we talked to about the cold lap pool were all very friendly and professional. It seems they hire very good employees at this property but it's obvious that the hotel is run on a shoestring budget.

After time in the crowded pool, we went up for an early room service dinner and movies. We were baffled to find that they have no movie options in the room! What?! The only "movie" option in-house was a conference room downstairs, where you're forced to sit in uncomfortable hotel conference chairs watching outdated Scooby Doo cartoons.

As for food, we ordered room service for dinner and it was mediocre at best. The kids' pizza was your typical frozen pizza from Costco, and the burgers for the adults were served on soggy buns. We had breakfast included in our package, and the one restaurant on property besides the pool grill is mediocre (with excellent wait service, however -- again, great employees for the most part but you can see they're cutting corners left and right).

If your goal is a clean place to stay while taking your kids to SeaWorld and your expectations are low, then you'll be fine here. However, if you're expecting a Hilton hotel -- this was unlike any Hilton I've ever been and felt more to me like a Comfort Suites.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed May 18, 2009

We booked the hotel through Priceline for a great nightly rate.
It is only a minute or two off the freeway very near Sea World.
We checked in on a Thursday afternoon. The lobby was large and looked great. The looby overlooks the bar area which also looked roomy and inviting.
On the way to the room we noticed a few stains on the carpets, but nothing that looked terrible. We had a pool view (no balcony) king room. The room was cozy and quite, the bathroom large enough for the two of us to have all our things and still get ready without tripping over each other. The bed was very comfortable including a very warm puffy comforter. The flat screen TV was a big one, but I dont know what size. The curtains kept the light out really well. I dont remember hearing any noise from the hall or nearby rooms other than a random door closing once in a while.
The two swimming pools provided enough room so that when we wanted to swim we werent overrun by the kids enjoying themselves. There were a good number of children there probably b/c of the closeness to Sea World.
The courtyard had 4 fire pits with nice furniture around each of them. It is a quite outdoor patio that is easy to relax in. The front desk sells smores kits for $4 for everyone.
The bar had regular happy hour specials and the prices were very good considering it was a hotel bar. The only think I did not like: the pool area doesn't allow glass. That I can understand, but the happy hour specials do not apply at the pool bar and the regular bar wont give you plastic to go into the pool. One of the staff told me that I could not bring any drinks from the other area into the pool. Not a big deal, but I still say boo on the hotel for having two different prices for its two bars.
On Friday night the hotel must have been sold out. I believe this because there was absolutely NO parking. There were cars parked in fire lanes, curbs, handicapped spots... you name it. We complained at the front desk and their solution was to park in the "gravel lot" where the employees park. The lot is not improved nor lighted and there is no sinage telling you that it is even a lot. I agreed and once parked there noted that there was only ONE vehicle parked in the lot. A hotel that size must have had 15 -20 staff on had at that time, yet only one vehicle parked in the lot. We then complained about that and recieved agreement from the front counter staff and promises that "management" would be informed. We got a free smores kit for our trouble. The next morning there were still cars parked everywhere including illegal places, yet our car and one other were the only two in the gravel lot.
The rest of the time the staff was attentive, pleasant, even chatty at times.
I would definitely stay there again, but if parking was an issue I would just give the front desk my keys and ask them to figure out the parking situation.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
OK
Reviewed April 5, 2009

We enjoyed our stay and the bed was one of the most comfortable I have ever slept in. This hotel was perfect for us. If I had to name one negative it would be that we weren't informed of all the "extra" (family movie, face painting, etc) we did stumble upon them but it would have been nice to have been told up front. We went during spring break. The hotel was very busy but our room and bathroom were spotless. Wish we would have planned to stay longer. We will be going back.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Houston
Reviewed March 31, 2009

Nice Hotel and nice pools. The first room they gave us had a big hole in the carpet and dirty. The second room was better but they failed to tell us the door handle was put on backwards and after another trip back to front desk we finally got in. We were never told about smores, movie in courtyard or indoor kid activities. We tried to eat dinner in the courtyard & they ran out of hot dog buns and the ceasar salad was the worst I've ever had. Customer Service was sub par at best. The best thing about this stay was the breakfast. Unfortunately, we won't stay here again.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family