“Use the info from these reviews to have a great time!”

Hilton San Antonio Hill Country Hotel
Ranked #81 of 357 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed August 18, 2008

I read all of the reviews and called the Radisson with any other questions that weren't answered here. I would say the use of the word "resort" is a bit loose. The Radisson is definitely not what I would call a resort. And for what they charge they should include a mini fridge and microwave in the suites. They will, however, provide you with either for $10 per night per item. I just think that's cheesy. But I knew before I booked the trip that this was the case. I have 2 little ones so a fridge full of fruit, juice, milk..it's a must. We just happen to have a cooler that can be plugged in and used just like a fridge. Perfect! The pools are great for kids and not so great if you're a single adult or couple with no kids. They are only 4ft deep at their deepest so it's perfect for kids. The kiddie pool didn't look yellow to me but the bottom surface is sandy colored which probably led to the previous reviewer saying it was yellow. We stayed in a Jr. Suite but really only for sleeping. We spent the majority of the two days in Sea World. Loved the free shuttle service. We went to Sea World on a Thurs. & Fri. and those were the perfect days to go. As we were leaving Saturday am, the shuttle service line was packed and I'm sure folks were getting hot & irritated by the wait. With the package we booked through the Sea World website, we received free breakfasts every morning. We also ate there for dinner and had the ribeye specials. The pecan pie is delicious. In fact, we were happy with everything we were served. Oh, they do charge $3 for the S'mores kit which you can avoid by simply bringing your own and a stick to roast the marshmellows with. The Radisson is very kid oriented...which is the main thing I care about when I'm traveling with my kids. They have a wonderful staff that does free face painting, necklace beading & various other crafts. They also do manicures & hair-do's for little girls that they charge a small sum for. In fact, all of the interactions I had with different staff members were pleasant, friendly & helpful.

My advice....read all the reviews, have realistic expectations and enjoy! It's not as bad as the horrible reviews it's received but it's not the Ritz either. (nor is it a resort) This is a great place to stay if you're taking the kids to Sea World.....period! I would not stay here if it were my honeymoon or if my husband & I were going on a trip without the kids.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
Write a ReviewReviews (1,653)

Reviewed August 15, 2008

What you see on the web is definitely not what you get at this "resort". Positives few. Negatives many.

Upon arriving the lobby/bar was beautiful we went out on the patio where there was also a nice area with fire pits. Continued down to the pool to check it out...umm yellow water in the kiddie area? No swimming for us....

I checked in and we went to our room. I opened the door and had a lovely musty smell awaiting us as if the room had not been aired out in months. Took about an hour of having the balcony door opened as well as running the AC on high to get the smell out. The wall paper was peeling throughout the room. The worst part was finding out that the plumbing was backwards. Hot was actually cold. My wife was so thankful she checked the water before my son showered.

Before heading to bed we decided to get some food at the Sunspot restaurant. The place was empty maybe 5 tables seated however we were told there was a 30 min wait. Ended up going out to the interstate where there was some restaurants.

San Antonio is a great place, however in the future I will be staying at the Riverwalk. I have had much better hotel experiences there.

Positives= Close to Sea World
Negatives=Everything else

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank jbar8360
Reviewed July 23, 2008

I need to lead off by stating we got an excellent rate for our stay on Priceline. Thus, our stay was absolutely satisfactory for the amount we paid.

However, I bid the "Resort" catagory on Priceline and got this property. The use of the word "Resort" for this property is not accurate. It is a hotel with a nice zero-entrance kiddie pool. The main pools are small and hot tub are small and average. Though not a drinker, I did notice that the pool side bar/snack bar was closed during the week days we were there in the middle of summer. The fire pits were nice, but nothing exceptional. The rooms were typical and we seemed to pass a lot dirty room service trays in the halls that had been sitting for a period of time.

We didn't have a bad experience, but the criticism is valid as long as Radisson continues to bill this property as a Resort.

Reviewed July 21, 2008

The outside and Lobby was nice. The main pool was small and crowded so we never went. The halls and room were not very clean, but also not horrible. The service was not as good as I expect from a resort. We went with friends who had to change rooms because the bathroom the sink was clogged and full of black gunk and the door was having trouble opening to the room. They switched and that one had trouble with the door at 11 pm not opening with the key card- had to call maintenance. The breakfast buffet at the restaurant was ok but a little pricey for us.

One plus is it is close to SeaWorld and hasa shuttle service.

The Radisson really didn't fit a Resort Status in my book.

We have stayed at the Hyatt Resort and LOVED everything about it but it is more expensive.

Reviewed July 21, 2008

We stayed at the Radisson this past weekend and had a wonderful experience there! We spent the vast majority of both days at SeaWorld and made good use of the free shuttle. Although they say it only runs on the half hour, we received quick pick-ups after calling from the park when we were finished. (Our driver recommended we do this). The rooms are pretty standard, but I would not call them old or dirty, in fact, I'd say they were above average. I'm not sure about the resort name however, I didn't see much of a spa and the pools were a joke. Yes, there are 3 of them, but they aren't much bigger than a typical "backyard pool"! We enjoyed the hotel restaurant as well as smores each night during our stay. We never even had to move our car during the weekend. Overall, this hotel more than provided for our needs and I would definitely consider returning!

Reviewed July 17, 2008

First impressions are pretty good... hotel looks nice from the outside and the common areas are attractive. The room itself is dissapointing.

The good: attractive lobby, proximity to Seaworld, proximity to food and shopping (as long as you have a car... there's a new complex about 2 miles S/E of the hotel off of the 151 fwy). Nightly free (albeit old) movies were shown on a wall near the pool area, and the open fire pits were nice.

The bad: The room was extremely plain (a standard Holiday Inn is fancier). The bedding was uncomfortable, and everything was old and worn out. We paid a $25 "upgrade" fee for a room with 2 beds... this was the only difference from our "standard" room... 99% of hotels do not distinguish between rooms with one or two beds on pricing (to the contrary I mostly hear about folks who are on a romantic get-away who are dissapointed to be assigned a room with 2 beds instead of one King size bed). Worst part was each day we noticed black spotted stains on the bathroom sink, which I would clean with wet towels... the morning of our last night there I saw about 2 dozen tiny black bugs crawl out of the sink (which I killed)... then a couple of hours latter "yellow" mystery water with black solids in it backed into the sink, when the water fianlly drained the black residue was left behind (GROSS!!!!!!!). This was on the morning of our check-out... I showed pictures of this to the front desk and was able to get our "upgrade" fee removed (had to ask for it though, nothing was offered)... this was the only reason I didn't give it a 1 out of 5 rating. Also, decent parking was often hard to come by.

Other: The pool area was attractive... but only marginally better than a standard mid-grade hotel... by no means anything extraordinary, and was by-far the lamest "resort" pool we've ever seen. A normal "resort" pool area would be no less than double the size of this one. Free shuttle to Seaworld was offered and I was told it ran every 30 minutes... we didn't use this service though (only being a mile or two away we prefer to be able to come and go as we please).

If the rooms could match the common areas this could be a pretty nice place... as it stands I was dissapointed.

1  Thank grram1
Reviewed July 11, 2008

All the negative stuff I have read is not even close to the truth. If you treat the staff well they will go out of their way to help. My room may have been cold but then we just turned up the temp. I had two queen beds and a pull away with 4 people in one room and it was perfect for 3 nights! No car getting broken into we took all the stuff up to the room, shower had great pressure and though the pool was too small we found an alternative close by.
I would go back in a minute.