“Nice pool and room”

Ranked #77 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Houston, Texas
“Nice pool and room”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Nice pool area but service and amenities not up to standard of Marriott or Hyatt. Would prefer to pay more & stay at those places.
The room was clean and fresh but the corridor smelt really bad on our level.
The gym had broken equipment and dirty towels.
The pool towels were old and poor quality.
Food was ok.
Had to pay $5 per person for s'mores!!!

2 Thank Suzanne166
Alex P, General Manager at Hilton San Antonio Hill Country Hotel, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Thank you very much for your comments and I hope you had a great time. Our maintenance department will surely look into the issue in the hallway & gym and correct any problems that may exist. We do charge for s’mores and believe this to be a normal part of doing business. Many of our competitors charge a “Resort” fee of up to $35 per day for these “extras” – we do not. Thank you for being our guest and I hope you can see the great value that we offer.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
Temecula, California
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We frequently travel to San Antonio and usually we stay downtown, but this time we decided to stay at this hotel for 2 nights over spring break because they have heated pools. Since it had been fairly cold so far this spring, the heated pools were great. The kids were able to go swimming and I enjoyed the hot tub. They also have a small playground area(just a slide really), but right next to it was a basketball goal, which kept my son occupied. The spring break activities were great. In the evening, they set up a room with games and had someone who did face painting and crafts. They also had an outdoor movie, where you could sit fireside and roast Smores, as well as sit outside and enjoy a grilled meal for a very reasonable price.

The hotel itself is clean and comfortable. All the amenities you would expect at a Hilton. The spa had a sauna and steamroom available free to guests. I would have liked to try one of the services, but time did not allow. They also offer a complimentary shuttle to Sea World, which came in handy. There are 2 restaurants on premises, but we did not try either. We did have the grilled fare from the poolside bar and it was very good, except for the baked potatoes which were very undercooked. They had come from the kitchen, not the grill, and it seemed that inside the staff was struggling to keep up with the spring break crowd. I heard several people complain of inadequate service. While it was busy and the staff was definitely overwhelmed with the crowd, we had no issues.

Overall this is a very nice hotel, and definitely worth the price.

1 Thank natalie m
Houston, Texas
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I decided to bring the family to a Hilton property based on the excellent track they have with me while traveling for business worldwide, however having to wait for more than one hour to be served the wrong food for dinner at their restaurant, having to wait for more than 45 minutes to be seated for breakfast and not being able to ever talk to a room service person... was not on my plan. Our next door neighboor decided to bring along a dog which would not stop barking until midnight despite my plea for help at the front desk... very disappointed! This hotel does not live to the Hilton standard I have come to appreciate all over the world. I'm not coming back to this property.

Pflugerville, Texas
Reviewed March 14, 2013

My family & I stayed one night at this Hilton after a wonderful day at SeaWorld. I chose the hotel based on location and a misguided perception that it would provide a little more luxury than other nearby hotels (charging the same $$), but wound up disappointed. The room, although put together, was dirty. There was dust on the furniture and scraps of tissue on the bathroom floor. Only one of the two pools was heated, and the smoky smell from the fire pits in the courtyard permeated our room. The AC ran incessantly and loudly, and the tub had standing water at the bottom during our showers. Finally, our room service breakfast took close to an hour to get to our room, and not only did they fail to bring one of the items ordered, the other orders had missing or wrong items. We did get a discount on the breakfast upon checkout & retelling our tale. The location was definitely the best thing, but the rest of our stay will keep us from ever coming back.

Thank J. A
Thank you for providing your feedback on TripAdvisor, your remarks on areas where we could've done better are invaluable to our success as a hotel. I will be taking a closer look into these areas to ensure that these issues are dealt with. We will look forward to you return and for second opportunity to really wow you with our guest service.
Austin, Texas
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Great place for the area. Not as nice amenities like pool and hiking as the nearby Hyatt but it is also 1/3 of the cost! Will def go back again for Seaworld. The evening smores by the fire was really nice.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Brian B, it was a pleasure to read how you enjoyed your stay here at the Hilton Hill Country Hotel & Spa! Thank you for your wonderful review!
Laredo, Texas
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Although I only stayed for one night, the location was great and the property was impeccable. I made a reservation for a twin room and was given a complimentary upgrade to a one-bedroom suite. The room was extremely comfortable. I will definitely return.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Armando A
Armando A, thank you for taking the time to provide your kind comments regarding the Hilton Hill Country! We will definitely look forward to seeing you again soon!
Melbourne, Florida
Reviewed March 9, 2013

After staying a couple of nights with no issues whatsoever, I left San Antonio and 4 days after I realized that I forgot a folder with important paperwork and documents in the safe box. I called the hotel and within minutes the manager Katie called me and I arranged to pick it up (I wasn't too far away gladly). She gave high priority to this and handled it super professionally.

Reconforting to see that things are done right when things go wrong. My special thanks to the staff in the hotel, specially Katie.

• Stayed March 2013
Alex P, General Manager at Hilton San Antonio Hill Country Hotel, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Thank you for you review on TripAdvisor, we love to hear about going above and beyond your expectations! I'm also happy to hear that we were able to return your items to you safe and sound. We'll look forward to seeing you again soon!