“A nice looking hotel from the outside; but nothing great on the inside.”

Hilton San Antonio Hill Country Hotel & Spa
Ranked #79 of 355 Hotels in San Antonio
Texas
“A nice looking hotel from the outside; but nothing great on the inside.”
Reviewed February 24, 2013

It really is a nice looking hotel; however, the bathroom had hair in the shower (a sure sign of sloppy cleaning) and the rooms seemed a little dated (showing wear and tear in places).
We made the mistake of eating breakfast at the hotel...the cost exceeds the quality by quite a bit. My wife's 'over easies' came out HARD and all it took for me was one trip to the buffet to see that it was sub-par.
Not a horrible experience, but certainly not a stellar one either. It seems like the Hilton line is going down hill.

1 Thank Asa49
Alex P, General Manager at Hilton San Antonio Hill Country Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
I'd like to thank you for providing your feedback on your recent stay here at the Hilton Hill Country. I will be taking a closer look into the areas that you mentioned in order to ensure that this issues are resolved. We strive to go above and beyond our guest's expectations, and I regret to hear we were not able to achieve this with you. I hope to see you back soon for another chance to really Wow you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
Rockport, Texas
Reviewed February 22, 2013

The rates are unbelievable low for what you are getting. They have nice outdoor fire pits with sitting areas and fires burning at night. You can roast s'mores there at night while enjoying a family friendly film outdoors shown on outdoor theater. I was impressed, going there with my husband for a romantic getaway. We will be going back now with our son and make it our new family getaway. It was very child friendly (three pools- one of which a child wading pool, outdoor play area, outdoor movie theater, fire pits...) but still looked very upscale. Perfect for couples and perfect for a family. It was far better than what I expected.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your kind comments regarding our property! We are always please to hear that we were able to go above and beyond your expectations! We're even happier to hear that you plan on coming back with your family!! We will definitely be looking forward to your return!
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed February 21, 2013

My associate and I saw a couple of suspect reviews on this hotel related to cleanliness, but we figured it's a Hilton, so they certainly are on watch for such compliants. Also, the rate was $86/night which is amazingly low.

Driving up the the hotel, it is about as nice as any such property you will see. The use of stone and landscaping are very nice. The lobby is excellent as it flows into the lounge and common areas. Again the finishes are great and the look is that of a high-end cozy hotel.

Minutes after checking into my room, it was clear that it was not clean. There was debris on the carpet and even worse on the bathroom floor. It looked like housekeeping was either in a big hurry or just not up to the job. In any event, I left my luggage and headed downstairs. There was one and only one person working the front desk. He was doing an amazing job, but the lack of staff in this area was not fitting to the quality of my surroundings. I made my self understood and was promised someone would clean the room while we were at dinner.

Upon my return, we sat in the bar area for a nightcap. This area is also very nice, but the service was slow and appeared to be somewhat untrained. They did their best I guess, but we had one drink and headed for bed when we might have had a couple.

When I got to my room, it was cleaner but not clean. The carpet had been touched up, but there was still debris on the bathroom floor. Again, it looked like someone was in a hurry. I was too tired to pursue it any further, so I went to bed (very comfortable) and checked out probably to never return.

The hotel is very nice and so are the rooms. I typically search for hotels like this.

I received a nice communication from the hotel just cheking with me if everything was okay. I answered that it was not and never heard from them again. It's a shame. A perfectly clean room is the most basic of requirement for any traveler. This property deserves way better.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for being our guest recently, I regret to hear the cleanliness was sub par. I appreciate you taking the time to provide your feedback however, as it plays a vital role in the improvement of our hotel. I will be taking a closer look into the areas you pointed out. I hope to see you back soon.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed February 19, 2013

It had improved since my last review but the level of services is still poor at best. Clearly rooms are not inspected for cleanliness and the General Manager that I talked to makes excuses for his staff.

Best to avoid this hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Alex P, General Manager at Hilton San Antonio Hill Country Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, May 5, 2013
Thank you again for your review. I realize this is not your first review of the hotel and that you have stayed with us many times. Thank you for choosing to stay at the Hilton despite service issues you have may encountered.
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed February 13, 2013

The front desk lady, Krissy, was amazing!!! Great room, great food, and great amenities. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. The room was very clean and comfortable. It is a great place to get away and you don't even have to get out of the hotel. Everything you might need to have a great weekend is in there! I had an amazing time!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your kind comments regarding the Hilton Hill Country Hotel & Spa! We love to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with our Hiton Family. We hope to see you back soon!
Del Rio, Texas
Reviewed February 10, 2013

We stayed here for one night only because we got a good deal on the room ($80 plus tax). The room was clean and well-furnished, with plenty of extra plugs in the lamp bases for chargers. Gripe #1: The air conditioning system was annoying: it came on for about 30 seconds at a time, then shut off. The problem with this was that we had to continually turn the T.V. up and down to accommodate the air conditioning noise. My in-laws stayed in the room next door and had the same problem, so it was not unique to our room. Gripe #2: Wi-fi was $9.95 per day (free for AT&T customers--great for the phone, but not for my Kindle). Gripe #3: The breakfast buffet was $14.95 per person. I think this is expensive. There is a McDonald's right down the street, so keep that in mind for breakfast if you don't like getting fleeced. Gripe #4: The coffee maker was plugged into a faulty plug. After we plugged it into one of the lamp outlets, it did come on, but it didn't work well. We had to keep turning it on (about 6 times) to get a full cup.

Overall, It was OK, but not the best. I think maybe my expectations were higher for a "Hotel and Spa" (but what was I thinking for $80????) I guess I just don't like places that seem like a bargain but then nickel and dime you to death. For the 3 of us, it would have been $45 to eat breakfast. When you add that and $10 for wi-fi to the $80 room, it makes the room $135. Not a bargain when compared with an all-inclusive motel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank katmcw85
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback on TripAdvisor, as it is invaluable to our success. I did see you remarks on the issues you experience during your recent stay, and I will be taking a closure look into these areas. Again, thank you for your response, I hope to see you again soon.
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed February 7, 2013 via mobile

Stayed the week at this hotel and enjoyed every minute. The staff was super friendly and accommodating, when I asked the kitchen to cook something special they did not hesitate. The food was superb. Make sure to try the spa, prices are very reasonable.

I have stayed at other hotels in the area and this is by far the best. I was on business but it was great to see families at the fire pits roasting marshmallows.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Alex P, General Manager at Hilton San Antonio Hill Country Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Thank you for your kind comments regarding the Hilton Hill Country Hotel and Spa, I'm pleased to hear about your experience with our kitchen staff. We always enjoy hearing about positive experiences from our guests. We hope to see you back soon!