“We decided not to stay there.”

Hilton San Antonio Hill Country Hotel & Spa
Ranked #70 of 354 Hotels in San Antonio
Deer Park, Texas
“We decided not to stay there.”
Reviewed June 12, 2012

My family and I had reserved a 1 bedroom suite for the week. The hotel is very close to Seaworld which was very nice. I called the hotel while visiting the riverwalk and asked if our room would be ready and to inform the staff that we would be checking in a couple of hours after "check-in time".

Once we arrived at the hotel we found the room was not ready, (about 2 hours after check-in time). There was obviously something going on as there was another family who had been waiting for over an hour for their room and were asking the staff if they could at least get a room to change in so they could enjoy the pool while they waited. The husband was not pleased and was getting very vocal.

I was informed our room would be ready in about 15 minutes. In about 25 minutes the room was available and we went up to the room. The room size was nice but the floors were dirty, the bedding had a very large iron burn in the comforter, and the shower had a beetle in it along with the caulking was molded very bad and was in need of being redone.

My wife and I chose to leave the hotel and take our chances without reservations at another hotel nearby.

The staff was very nice and did allow us to cancel the room without being charged and seemed understanding of the situation.

The lobby is also very warm, both myself and the desk clerk were sweating while just standing still. The lobby also houses the restaurant/bar area so I could not imagine being able to enjoy myself in that room.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Jack H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed June 7, 2012

Pros: friendly staff, nice room, fortunately our A/c worked great, close to sea world with a shuttle
Cons: dirty damp dishes daily at the breakfast buffett, a moldy english muffin on the breakfast buffett, the main pool was so cloudy I couldn't see the bottom so we swam in the hardly used lap pool instead, a clearly filthy dirty towel was included in our "fresh" towels (first noticed it was dingy, then noticed gross stuff dried on it). To top it off, we had to drag ourselves out of bed twice due to false fire alarms within our three night stay, the first night it was nearly 2Am and very rude awakening. The second time the lobby was full of other people complaining that it had happened 3-6 times during their stays. Apparently, there is an problem with the fire alarm system. The fire department didn't even respond the second time it while we have been here. Have to stay here one more night.ugggghh,
In the end, the pros do not outweigh the cons. I would not stay here again and I would not recommend it to others.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Rachel P
Clute
Reviewed June 7, 2012

Would not recommend this hotel to anyone. The air conditioning throughout the hotel did not work. It seemed like they either were very low staffed or just didn't care about their guests. The a/c in our room was minimal & when we told the hotel it was implied we might not know how to work the thermostat & they would send a technician to check it. Never saw a technician & it never worked properly. The toilet kept running after flushing and the fire alarm went off at 1:00 AM. As guests filled the lobby there was no apology or explanation. Asked for two extra pillows & had to call back 2 hours later & request again. After booking room & paying $472.00 in advance (non refundable) for 3 nights we had no choice but to stay there. My advice is to never prepay in advance!

Room Tip: Don't let them put you in room 219. It's right across from the ice machine, mechanical room...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Martha C C
Reviewed June 2, 2012 via mobile

Free shuttle to Sea World. Great kids pool. S'mores and Cars 2 in the courtyard at night brings everyone outdoors to enjoy the warm San Antonio evenings with a nice breeze. They also have a grill outside with baked potato and corn on the cob until 11 pm. There is even a poolside bar for the adults. Ideal for families visiting Sea World or even San Antonio. The room is new. No mini bar but great for the price. Cisco was a helpful server. Bumpy start since our room wasn't ready at noon, but we will definitely be back.

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank MathosJ
Te xas
Reviewed June 2, 2012

The lobby and bar area of this hotel is as hot as a two dollar pistol. Turn on the air please. If your trying to save money on the bill your fixing to lose money by no guest.

• Stayed June 2012
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed May 29, 2012 via mobile

We have been staying at this hotel for years as we come down from Oklahoma to goto Sea World. It used to be the Raddisson and it was the best hotel around for proximity and having a shuttle. Now, other hotels have Bunsen built in the area who offer things that this hotel (now the Hilton) should consider (i.e. free breakfast and free wifi). The hotel also needs to update the carpeting in the rooms. We had a King suite and although the space was nice (balcony, garden tub and kitchette), the carpet looked extremely stained and dirty and shower could use caulking. Overall, I think thIs is still a nice hotel, but can get too pricey because everything costs "extra". I think it's time for our family of 5 to goto one of the neighboring hotels with free breakfast, free wifi AND Sea World shuttle service every 15min (not hourly).

• Stayed May 2012
Sand Springs, Oklahoma
Reviewed May 27, 2012

Let's see, where do I start?
PROS: Close to Sea World
Room was close to ice and elevators
Offers a free shuttle to Sea World
Bell hops were friendly and helpful
We were able to check in early
Pools were nice, and the patio had big fire pits and a projection kids movie outside

CONS/ISSUES/COMPLAINTS:

The air conditioner was malfunctioning! The lobby was hot, the elevator was hot, the hallway was hot, our room was HOT. It took us a few hours to figure it out, and they did send the engineer up quickly to reset our a/c manually. When the unit did work, it still took several hours to cool the room down. This happened AGAIN the next day, so we came back from being at Sea World all day to a hot room, it took longer to have someone come up and reset it(the first time was a clog in the system, the second time it was a part to be replaced). They at least gave us a free dinner the first night, which I'm glad because there's NO WAY I would've paid the full $100 price tag for our meal, it just wasn't worth that. So on day one, we finally got our kids to bed, and tried to go to sleep, but the shower head kept leaking/letting water pressure out every 5-10 minutes for 45 minutes or so, so that was annoying.

My husband's room key worked, but my first one NEVER worked, and when I got it re-keyed, it worked a few times, then stopped working AGAIN. Our mini-fridge was ghetto too, it's small to begin with, but when you can't put a bottle of soda beside the freezer shelf b/c it'll froze it solid, and it froze solid a capri sun below it, it's time for a new fridge. Not to mention that the cabinet door under the bar sink was falling off of its bottom hinge.

We had a great time in the kiddie pool area, but the lights were off! The lights were all on for the regular pool and lap pool, but not the kiddie pool, and that was a little unsafe and very annoying.

The last night, my husband went down to get us some alcoholic drinks after we got the kids to bed. It took him like 35 minutes, b/c he said he had to get one drink made at the inside bar, and the other one he had to go outside and around to the pool cabana bar to get the other one made. The drinks were overpriced, and I've had strawberry daiquiris that tasted much better and sweeter than the one I paid $7 for.

The TV had very limited channels, so there was practically nothing for our kids to watch, we ended up using our iPad instead. The screen to the balcony was ripped too, so we couldn't really even open the sliding door to help get some ventilation when the a/c wasn't working. And, the top drawer of our dresser was sticking big time.

Overall, we were UNIMPRESSED with the Hilton. We drove from San Antonio to Dallas today, and are staying at a different hotel of about the same price. it is LUXURIOUS, and the room was nice and cool, and the Omni Dallas is everything I was expecting from the Hilton for the price we paid. I'm thinking it'll be a cold day in (ahem) before I stay at ANY HIlton hotel, our 3 night stay was just riddled with problems. I was missing my pillow from home too, down pillows look fluffy, and that's about all they had going for them.

Room Tip: I think that all hotels should at least have a continental breakfast...especially the higher priced...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank SSMom85
Alex P, General Manager at Hilton San Antonio Hill Country Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, May 30, 2012
Thank you very much for your feedback as it is very important to our Hotel. I appreciate the positive points you had made regarding your stay. I do understand that we did not meet your expectations and I do apologize for the issues you had with A/C. While we had a problem (with A/C) in a few guest rooms we have corrected these issues. Again thank you for your review.