“The lobby is hot”

Ranked #72 of 354 Hotels in San Antonio
Te xas
“The lobby is hot”
Reviewed June 2, 2012

The lobby and bar area of this hotel is as hot as a two dollar pistol. Turn on the air please. If your trying to save money on the bill your fixing to lose money by no guest.

• Stayed June 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed May 29, 2012 via mobile

We have been staying at this hotel for years as we come down from Oklahoma to goto Sea World. It used to be the Raddisson and it was the best hotel around for proximity and having a shuttle. Now, other hotels have Bunsen built in the area who offer things that this hotel (now the Hilton) should consider (i.e. free breakfast and free wifi). The hotel also needs to update the carpeting in the rooms. We had a King suite and although the space was nice (balcony, garden tub and kitchette), the carpet looked extremely stained and dirty and shower could use caulking. Overall, I think thIs is still a nice hotel, but can get too pricey because everything costs "extra". I think it's time for our family of 5 to goto one of the neighboring hotels with free breakfast, free wifi AND Sea World shuttle service every 15min (not hourly).

• Stayed May 2012
Sand Springs, Oklahoma
Reviewed May 27, 2012

Let's see, where do I start?
PROS: Close to Sea World
Room was close to ice and elevators
Offers a free shuttle to Sea World
Bell hops were friendly and helpful
We were able to check in early
Pools were nice, and the patio had big fire pits and a projection kids movie outside

CONS/ISSUES/COMPLAINTS:

The air conditioner was malfunctioning! The lobby was hot, the elevator was hot, the hallway was hot, our room was HOT. It took us a few hours to figure it out, and they did send the engineer up quickly to reset our a/c manually. When the unit did work, it still took several hours to cool the room down. This happened AGAIN the next day, so we came back from being at Sea World all day to a hot room, it took longer to have someone come up and reset it(the first time was a clog in the system, the second time it was a part to be replaced). They at least gave us a free dinner the first night, which I'm glad because there's NO WAY I would've paid the full $100 price tag for our meal, it just wasn't worth that. So on day one, we finally got our kids to bed, and tried to go to sleep, but the shower head kept leaking/letting water pressure out every 5-10 minutes for 45 minutes or so, so that was annoying.

My husband's room key worked, but my first one NEVER worked, and when I got it re-keyed, it worked a few times, then stopped working AGAIN. Our mini-fridge was ghetto too, it's small to begin with, but when you can't put a bottle of soda beside the freezer shelf b/c it'll froze it solid, and it froze solid a capri sun below it, it's time for a new fridge. Not to mention that the cabinet door under the bar sink was falling off of its bottom hinge.

We had a great time in the kiddie pool area, but the lights were off! The lights were all on for the regular pool and lap pool, but not the kiddie pool, and that was a little unsafe and very annoying.

The last night, my husband went down to get us some alcoholic drinks after we got the kids to bed. It took him like 35 minutes, b/c he said he had to get one drink made at the inside bar, and the other one he had to go outside and around to the pool cabana bar to get the other one made. The drinks were overpriced, and I've had strawberry daiquiris that tasted much better and sweeter than the one I paid $7 for.

The TV had very limited channels, so there was practically nothing for our kids to watch, we ended up using our iPad instead. The screen to the balcony was ripped too, so we couldn't really even open the sliding door to help get some ventilation when the a/c wasn't working. And, the top drawer of our dresser was sticking big time.

Overall, we were UNIMPRESSED with the Hilton. We drove from San Antonio to Dallas today, and are staying at a different hotel of about the same price. it is LUXURIOUS, and the room was nice and cool, and the Omni Dallas is everything I was expecting from the Hilton for the price we paid. I'm thinking it'll be a cold day in (ahem) before I stay at ANY HIlton hotel, our 3 night stay was just riddled with problems. I was missing my pillow from home too, down pillows look fluffy, and that's about all they had going for them.

Room Tip: I think that all hotels should at least have a continental breakfast...especially the higher priced...
2 Thank SSMom85
Alex P, General Manager at Hilton San Antonio Hill Country Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, May 30, 2012
Thank you very much for your feedback as it is very important to our Hotel. I appreciate the positive points you had made regarding your stay. I do understand that we did not meet your expectations and I do apologize for the issues you had with A/C. While we had a problem (with A/C) in a few guest rooms we have corrected these issues. Again thank you for your review.
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed May 27, 2012

Proximity and shuttle service to Sea World can't be beat. The staff is also first class.

1 Thank WarEglTX
Thank you very much. We agree! Thanks for the feedback.
Oklahoma City
Reviewed May 25, 2012

My family of 4 stayed here for 4 nights and were very happy with our stay. The hotel has a sophisticated feel throughout its grounds and rooms yet is comfortable for families. The 3 pools and firepits are awesome, plus at night a kid-appropriate movie is shown in the courtyard, making evenings really fun. On our 2nd night the front desk staff was sweet enough to let us change rooms to have one with a balcony even though it was late in the day. The shuttle to SeaWorld is an added bonus. The hotel is a great value for all that's included, especially since the nearby Hyatt is over twice as much!

Room Tip: If you want to enjoy the evening movie try to getva room facing the courtyard, a balcony is an added...
2 Thank HeatherOklahomaCity
Thank you for your feedback. We want to be considered as your "Home away from Home". I'm glad to here your family had a great time. Let me know the next time you are in the area and will be staying with us.
longview, Tx
Reviewed May 21, 2012

I decided to book into this hotel because I wanted to take my son to Sea World and its only a 5 minute shuttle to the front of the park. We stayed at the hotel for three nights. Enjoyed the adult pool and my 4 year old enjoyed the kiddie pool. Loved the fire pits at night and rosted marshmallows while we watched Toy Story 3 outside and ate free popcorn. I am a Hilton Diamond member so I got breakfast for me, my wife and son for free but I would have passed if I had to pay, the service at the restaurant was awful and the buffet area was always messy and dirty. Overall, this will always be my San Antonio hotel from now on.

2 Thank littletexan13
Clive, Iowa
Reviewed May 21, 2012

Although we ran into a few problems at the hotel during our 6 night stay, overall we were very happy with this hotel. The rate we paid was very good as we used the Hilton Advance purchase program. There is normally a charge for internet use ($9.95/day). But I called ahead and asked if as a Hilton Honors member I could get the internet service free. At Homewood Suites and Hampton Inns they give me a password upon check in. I was advised by the person I spoke to to ask for the password as a Hilton Honors member when I checked in. I did that and was able to escape the daily internet fee. I asked about getting a refridgerator for our room. The person made a note on my reservation and indicated it would be an additional $15/day charge. When I checked in and indicated the refridgerator was for medication that fee was waived.

I did have to call a second time after we arrived to get the refrigerator. The person who checked us in warned us that the ice machines were awful. They were right. But they said if I wanted I could come down to the lobby and they had ice. The vending machines are also not well stocked. I wish I had thought to to ask for a room with a view of the pool area. The parking lot view was not good. We ate breakfast the first morning at the hotel restaurant (SunSpot). We were disappointed in the cost (high) of the breakfast buffet and the limited choices, especially with the cost. OJ was not on the buffet but had to be provided by the server by the glass. There wasn't any cold cereal choices. The buffet area was not as clean as we would have preferred. There are a couple of Denny's and a Jim's Restaurant where you can get breakfast for 1/2 the cost and get a better choice of breakfast items to choose from. They are located within just a few miles of the hotel.

The location is very close to Sea World, not far from Fiesta Texas and The Shops at La Cantera and 20 minutes or so from The RiverWalk. Although some people like to stay on the RiverWalk my husband and I preferred the suburban location. We were close to a number of strip malls (the hotel in on Westover Hills Blvd between Loop 410 and 1604 Loop, where there are lots of commercial options for restaurants) and were able to drive easily for dinners.

The Hyatt Hill Country Hotel is next door to the Hilton and dwarfs it in size and amenities. But for those who are budget conscience and like a smaller property, the Hilton is the same location and a great choice. The cost per night of the Hyatt (or the Westin La Cantera) is double, at best and does not include resort and parking fees. The Hilton did not charge a parking fee or a resort fee.

The staff was friendly and helpful. The cleaning staff did a good (and quick job) on the room. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to the San Antonio area.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the pool and garden area. We did not and got a view of the parking lo...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple