“Jessica the night time desk clerk made us feel welcome!”

Red Roof Inn San Antonio West Sea World
Ranked #195 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed November 27, 2013

I'm starting off this review with what the heck is up with Winter Storm Boreas?!?!

I was unsure if we should stay here or not based on some of the other reviews but I'm happy we stayed.

When I last checked the weather San Antonio was going to have great weather. We were going to have a wonderful trip to Sea World, see The Alamo, Downtown River walk - be a real tourist. :) They closed Sea World for the two days we were going to visit, River Walk was a ghost town, and The Alamo was freezing but worth it!

We get into Red Roof Inn and it's freezing - we're from Florida so anything below 65 is freezing to us but with the windchill factor it was in the 30's. Yikes!!!

Check in was so simple - Jessica was really nice. But then she went the extra step. I went downstairs to see if they had any hot cocoa - they had coffee and tea (you'll see their step up in the photos) but no hot cocoa. Jessica asked if she could help me find anything and I informed her I was just curious if they had any hot cocoa out because it's was freezing outside. She gave me one of hers to share. It was a simple, yet thoughtful gesture that made the difference. She was on night watch for a couple nights so it was nice to see a familiar face.

She pointed us in the right direction to get some winter clothes and we really felt right at home which was nice.

We heard her check other clients in from single people to families and she was the same way with everyone - she made them feel at home and welcome. I thought the other girls was nice but Jessica simply went the extra mile and she spoiled us in what to expect at other Red Roof Inns.

Our room was great - nice and large. The only complaint we had was the room was not cleaned properly. There was smudges on the desk where the previous occupant had coffee and some sort of food. I've expected this with RR just because house keeping is not what it should be and I carry beach wipes to wipe down everything so to us not a big deal since I pre-clean the room but it might be a huge deal to someone else. Linens were in good condition. Mini fridge and microwave was clean. The heater didn't work well but we chalked that up to it being so cold. The sprinkler was going for 2 days straight. The maintenance man was off for a couple days so he had a "to do" list when he got back. The water didn't drain out of our tub well and when you took a shower you had standing water up to your ankles. We reported this again on check out and they were going to fix it.

One thing that was really nice about this RR is their pool is ADA accessible - you'll see it in the photos.

We will stay here again - no doubt about it and we look forward to our next trip.

Just a heads up for others that might check in here - next to the property is a sea food restaurant with a bar/night club - so I would suggest getting an inside room if you're staying on the weekends. We were here Sunday - Tuesday so no issues with us but we had an inside room.

We did inform the front desk on how wonderful Jessica was an the maintenance issues and they were going to take care of it.

Happy Travels everyone!

Room Tip: Choose an inside room. Make sure your heater works if you're staying in the winter.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank LetsG0Family
RRI240, General Manager at Red Roof Inn San Antonio West Sea World, responded to this reviewResponded January 18, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your experience with our hotel. I am very happy to hear that Jessica made you feel welcome and comfortable during your stay. She is a gem and very valuable to our company. I am however disappointed that your room was not cleaned to our standards; please accept my sincerest apologies for that. thank you again and we all look forward to serving you again should your travels return you to our area.

Darlene Silva

Reviewed November 1, 2013

me my husband and daughter stayed the weekend.. room was fine.. pool was beautiful very clean o & btw its a heated pool at that was a plus. the girls at the front desk were friendly and funny... i think we got there during the shift change christine checked us in and was very helpful we came in very hungry and asked her if she knew a good place to eat and she was on point on where to go but as the other girl was leaving i believe her name was jessica not sure but she was making my daughter laugh which made me feel at ease because my daugther was being alil grumpy. i would say i would come again if we make a trip back to san antonio but i would be nice if there wasnt just free coffee maybe sum kind of juice or hot chocolate for free for the childern . o yes and i forgot i mention my husband loved the maintenance man there..

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
RRI240, General Manager at Red Roof Inn San Antonio West Sea World, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience with our hotel here San Antonio. I am so happy to hear that our team made you feel comfortable and welcome during your stay. I will be sure to pass your comment on to the team especially Jessica, Christine and Victor our "maintenance guy". We all enjoyed having you at our hotel and we look forward to serving you again should you travels return you to our area.

Darlene Silva
Interim General Manager

Reviewed October 15, 2013

I brought my daughter in to enjoy Halloween festivities at Sea World and ended up staying much later than planned. Instead of driving back to Austin, we decided to hop on expedia and book a room. I've stayed at other hotels, like the LQ, in this area and never had a problem. I intentionally did not book the absolute lowest priced rooms to avoid being somewhere unsafe, and the Red Roof Inn name gave me comfort. It is deceiving. Our room was strangely empty, when you walk in there is a completely empty room, then you walked through the bathroom *2 towels, 1 washcloth* to get into the room where there was a QUEEN (not KING as we had paid for) size bed, a table with no chairs, and a TV bolted to the dresser. The bathroom floor was very dirty, but otherwise the room was very clean. The lock on the door did not work correctly, and the door jam was broken as though it had been kicked in and not repaired. I locked the doors to the best of my ability, put my daughter on the side of the bed farthest from the door and went to sleep. At 12:30 I woke up to two men fighting in the hall outside the doors. Scared me to death. I called the front desk and was told that security would be right up. I listened to the fighting for about an hour after this, too frightened to sleep or leave the hotel. Security never showed up. When I said something about it at check out the next morning I was told "oh I heard about that, but didn't see any reports on it" and that the club next door brought in lots of drunks, and fights were not uncommon. This hotel does not care about guest safety. I got no sleep thanks to the lack of security. I will NEVER stay here again, and will post bad reviews on every site I can find to do so.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
RRI240, General Manager at Red Roof Inn San Antonio West Sea World, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2013

10/18/13

Thank you for taking the time to submit this feedback. I would love the opportunity to discuss this further with you. At Red Roof Inn, we put every effort into providing a safe, clean, and well-maintained room with great service. We are currently working to improve these four areas and obviously failed you. We will work to ensure what you experienced does not happen again. I hope you will give Red Roof Inns another chance in the future.

Kathleen Trindade
Interim General Manager

Reviewed June 26, 2013

Reserved 6 rooms for our employees for 2 nights and after one night I called to speak to the unprofessional "general manager" Carolyn to check our employees out and to advise her of the horrific and restless night our employees experienced. She proceeded to argue with me stating she had never heard of such things and I needed to be very specific with what was wrong with every single room. I am appalled that such persons as this woman can carry titles such as "general manager" and not now the first thing about customer service. This hotel requires immediate attention with so much mold found throughout.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Sogukrher
RRI240, General Manager at Red Roof Inn San Antonio West Sea World, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2013

Dear Sogukrher ,

At Red Roof, we strive to provide every customer with superior service and pride ourselves with Ledgendary Customer service; therefore your feedback is very important to us. I want you to know that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem that occurred during your stay to prevent any future occurrence. I would like the opportunity to fix what may have been a misunderstanding as well. Please contact at your convienence.

210.509.3434

Reviewed May 10, 2013

Worst hotel. Checked in, room still filthy, stuff stuck on carpets, cheese stuck on bed spread, so we requested new bed linens..stuff they brought was worse. Tub was disgusting. We had to drive to Walmart and by sheets and blankets while on vacation! Ladies at the desk were very nice, but the room was awful. We had two ac units, one of which was card boarded up..the mattress was falling apart. Want wifi, gotta be in the lobby sitting in one chair..avoid this hotel!!!

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
RRI240, General Manager at Red Roof Inn San Antonio West Sea World, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the San Antonio NW/Sea World Red Roof. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please accept my sincerest apologies. We have recently fixed and even upgraded our Wifi service.

Reviewed May 5, 2013

RED ALERT – BEWARE

Red Roof room rates - deceiving advertisements of $49.95, told on the phone that our room rate would be $53.00 to $55.00 per night and would be given a discount if a senior. It was not until I checked out that I was charged $91.00 per night. When we arrived and went to our room, I noticed that the door lash was broken and I immediately notified them but there was not concern there. Look like the room has been broken into but repairs had not been made. We had no internet in the room only in the lobby (one computer) for all. No breakfast area only coffee in the lobby. Was told security was on site but never saw one only a sign.

DON'T spend your money there – not worth the price – Cheap hotel but high prices (even Motel 6 is better than this place)

OOPs, forgot to mention, they automatically charge you for a safe box $1.50 per night (no safe in the room), again, It would help if they were truthful upfront before checking in. s. Rooms are same as Motel 6 but Motel 6 has a much lower rate than $91.00 per day.

The young ladies must be training to say sorry that's only for weekend and off peak season.

Online prices are also not correct - deception in all their advestisement, do not honor their coupons in the travel guide booklet that you see almost in every restaurant, etc.

For this price, go to La Quinta, Days Inn, Best Western, better rooms, free breakfast, free internet, coffee in the room, dryer, etc. etc.

Room Tip: No restaurant, no kids play, rooms unsafe.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Terri R
RRI240, General Manager at Red Roof Inn San Antonio West Sea World, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

Terri R,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I sincerely apologize for any confusion you encountered. We take extra steps to insure you know the rates by posting the rate and any other fees that may apply for your stay on the Registration card upon check-in.

I really feel terrible that you felt we didn't provide the experience which you hoped for and would appreciate the opportunity to make this up to you, please feel free to contact me and we can discuss this issue more in detail and I hope you will allow me the opportunity to resolve this.

Once again, my sincerest apologies and I hope you give us this chance to welcome you back to the hotel and take advantage of the many other amazing amenities which we provide; heated pool, within walking distance to many restaurants, and minutes from Sea World.

Reviewed March 11, 2013

After driving 7 hours, specifically to THIS motel because we had a coupon for 39.99, we were told on arrival that they would not honor that price because it was spring break. It was the Sunday BEFORE. Not only that, I attemped to call several times in advance to make sure the price would be as advertised, but could not get a live person on the phone. Add to that, their sign said 39.99 too! So I asked the RUDE desk clerk why the sign said that and why the coupon didn't say anything about excluding holidays and special events. Her reply?" I don't know". I was too exhausted to drive another mile, and my 5 year old was already irritable from traveling so long, so I chose to go ahead and stay here. I ended up paying 90 bucks for a mediocre room. We had reservations downtown, but not till Monday. Came a day early thinking we would rest up and only be out $40. WRONG! It was super noisy, the room wasn't dark, and although they advertise free wifi, guess what.... THEY DIDN'T HAVE IT. Not exactly how we wanted to start our vacation. Oh well. I guess that extra money we spent on this place means less money to spend on vacation. :(

• Stayed: March 2013
RRI240, General Manager at Red Roof Inn San Antonio West Sea World, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the San Antonio Red Roof. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please accept my sincerest apologies.