“Fantastic Service, This Was Our Second Stay at Woodfield”

La Quinta Inn & Suites San Antonio Downtown
Ranked #49 of 355 Hotels in San Antonio
A TripAdvisor Member
“Fantastic Service, This Was Our Second Stay at Woodfield”
Reviewed December 17, 2005

This was our second visit to Woodfield. Our first experience was in June of this year, we attended a family reunion with sixty plus members. The reunion was a tremendous success, the staff help make the gathering a truly memorable experience. Our 55th wedding aniversary is in December so we decided to visit San Antonio and celebrate, visit the riverwalk and see the Christmas Lights and Decorations. We again chose to stay at Woodfield Suites and were not disappointed. The entire staff in the Hotel were friendly, helpful and courteous. the amenities were out standing.

Stayed December 2005
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Finnish first
Houston, TX
Reviewed November 26, 2005

Located 2 blocks from market square and just off of I 35, the hotel rates well above others in it's class. Rooms are oversize with small icebox, microwave and coffee maker. Decor is above average, nice pool area with lanscaped grounds. Accepts pets with no additional charge. Breakfast includes eggs and sausage. Very quiet location and rooms. A few snacks for sale in lobby. Reception staff marginal. Balance of staff great. Full free happy hour. Elevator very slow. La Quinta taking over in fall 05. Additional restaurants nearby are BBQ (lunch only) and those in Market square. We had three rooms and all of the guests were well satisfied. As they say, return with pleasure.

• Stayed November 2005
9 Thank Texas George
minneapolis, mn
Reviewed November 13, 2005

I am always a little weary of staying at hotels that I'm not familiar with but I was sooooooo relieved after staying at this Woodfield Suites. I lived in San Antonio for 8 months while in training for the air force. Myself and many of my other friends would stay downtown during the weekends to 'get away' from the military dorms. So I have stayed at 4 stars to 1 star hotels in downtown San Antonio. I was in San Antonio this time around to visit my boyfriend and didn't want a low budget hotel. However, I think the parking prices at the downtown hotels are absolutely ridiculous so after reading previous reviews, I thought I'd give Woodfield a shot because parking was free. I was not disappointed. This hotel is most comparable to Hampton Inns. They pretty much have everything you need to satisfy your stay...not overly luxurious like a 4 star but CLEAN-CLEAN-CLEAN. Rooms are big. I took the advice from previous reviews and got a room on the top floor...really quiet, which quietness was a problem staying downtown. The elevator was a little slow but by no means a big deal. Happy hour was great...friendly and free! Breakfast jumpstarted the day. The best part for me was the trolley...80 cents per person and it took you right in front of the riverwalk! Some of the other hotels that are closer to the riverwalk are still an inconvienient walk in the San Antonio heat and do not have the trolley pick them up. The neighborhood is also a little better than the downtown slums. Although I am military, the best rate I got was the triple A rate for $80.10 for thurs and fri nights. Overall, great value.

• Stayed November 2005
7 Thank JRo99
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed November 4, 2005

We were in San Antonio for my son's graduation from Basic Training(Air Force) The hotel was clean and comfortable. The staff was very nice and helpful. The breakfast buffet was good. The location was convenient, not right in downtown but there is a trolley that stops out front that goes to the Riverwalk, Alamo, downtown area and only takes about 5 minutes. We were about a 15 minute drive from the Air Force Base. All in all is was a great stay.

• Stayed October 2005
8 Thank Lynn A
Houston, Texas
Reviewed September 25, 2005

In response to Hurricane Rita evacuation, I managed to find Woodfield Suites through the Sidestep website, and was surprised to get a reservation online at the Woodfield Suites website. Unfortunately, when we arrived at the hotel, they did not have our reservation (apparently the website reservation system doesn't communicate with the local hotel), and the hotel was overbooked. So we had to wait (about an hour) to speak with the General Manager, who was very helpful in finding us a room (1 king + queen sofa instead of two queens).

The room was spacious, clean and very confortable. And for the $79/night rate we paid, it was very good value for the money. I would not hesitate to recommend it to friends and family; however, I would suggest making reservations with the local hotel, or confirming online reservations before arrriving.

I have to agree with other reviews on two points. First, the elevators are not fast, nor air conditioned. Second, if you want the free breakfast buffet, be sure to get there before 9:30am, because they close it promptly. PROMPTLY!

A note about the "suite" moniker: This is not the Ritz Carlton, and just because a hotel uses the word "suite" doesn't mean you should expect the bedroom to be in a separate room from the living area with french doors in between. It generally means that there is a bit larger sofa/lounge area than in most hotel rooms, and there is usually not any door to separate the bedroom from the living area.

• Stayed September 2005
6 Thank jdbhouston
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 22, 2005

I don't travel to watch televison, but this place has the smallest satellite TV package I've seen in 20 years, about 20 channels, about half are local broadcast channels. Otherwise, great place! Very quiet place and there where guests all around me. There where sprinkler systems and that usually means FIREWALLS!...Soundproofing!...Good breakfast buffet. Free cocktails 5:00 till 7:00PM. Be warned, it's about 12 blocks to the heart of the entertainment district. There are trolleys and busses everywhere, but I like walking. Hotel is very close to I-35/I-10 on the west side of downtown. Enjoy!

• Stayed August 2005
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 30, 2005

We arrived just after midnight and were warmly welcomed by the desk staff. Our room was large, clean with sofa bed made up. The breakfast was a little limited in choice, however quality was good. All staff were pleasant and helpful particulary the barman. The complementary drinks and snacks in the evening was a nice touch.
The pool could get a little busy in the early evening, but quietened down later. Woodfield Suites is around 20 minutes walk from the Alamo and Rivercentre Mall, however a trolley passes outside the hotel if required.
This hotel is five minutes from the freeway so travel to Seaworld, Six Flags, Natural Bridge Caverns etc was easy.
When we return to San Antonio we will have no hesitation in booking this hotel.

• Stayed July 2005