“Better Than You'd Expect for the Money”

Red Roof Inn San Antonio - Airport
Ranked #139 of 354 Hotels in San Antonio
Seattle, Washington
“Better Than You'd Expect for the Money”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2014

This stay was a last-minute change of plans to put a break in a long international journey, so I wasn't shooting for the moon - just a clean, comfortable bed near the airport. I'd recently been staying in 4-and-5-star Inns and Resorts during a 1-month Christmas/New Year's holiday in the U.S., so my expectations were quite low. So - my first stay in a Red Roof Inn - THIS one, at least - was a pleasant surprise. For $50 a night I got a very nice, exceptionally large room (#221) - clean, comfy bed, big flat-screen TV, mini-fridge, safe, microwave, large, wrap-around business desk, coffee maker, etc. I've stayed in a LOT worse for a LOT more. The front desk was kind, courteous and helpful, both in person and when I called in advance to notify of a 9 p.m. arrival. The rep told me to take a taxi from the airport - not to wait around for the shuttle, and they'd reimburse. I thought, "Right, and Penelope Cruz is gonna call me for a date tonight." But 10 seconds after I approached the desk with my receipt, the full cash reimbursement was handed to me. The view is a spectacular vista of a parking lot, but really, did you expect the Grand Tetons? A couple of things to be aware of: the location, while close and convenient to the airport, is NOT within walking distance of ANYTHING, including FOOD. Your late-night choices are pizza and wings delivered. And if you crave a cold beer (or any other alcohol) after a long journey, best to have the taxi stop at a convenience store, because you won't find it here, and nobody delivers. So, those caveats aside, I would stay here again - it is what it is, and it's a good value.

Room Tip: 221 is spacious and close to the central desk.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Kathleen T, General Manager at Red Roof Inn San Antonio - Airport, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your experience with our hotel. I am very happy that we exceeded your expectations with our service. I am very proud of our team and will be sure to share this with them. We look forward to serving you again should your travels return you to our area.

General Manger

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Houston, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2014

I booked a room for 2 nights to enjoy the January 1'st in San Antonio and unfortunately I chose this very bad hotel. What I saw in the pictures was a room with refrigerator and other simple equipment which normally exists even in cheap hotels, but this was not true when they gave me my room. The beds were very uncomfortable, there was not any refrigerator or tea maker or... in the room. The worse thing in the room was the fact that the room had a door which could connect 2 rooms together and there was a dog in the other room that continuously kept barking and it was so bad that we could not sleep. When we asked the reception to fix this problem the only thing that he said was: I am sorry about that but we are pet friendly!
It seems that we booked a room in a pet hotel ! I am so disappointed and will never book a room in Red roof inn. Hope TripAdvisor change the policy for this kind of behavior.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Ali h
Thank you for taking the time to write about your concerns that you had with our hotel during your visit to San Antonio. I am very sorry that it was noisy and that our pet owners did not respond in a timely manner. I do understand that this was an inconvenience for you and would like you to contact me personally so that we may discuss this further. Again I apologize and do hope that you will give us another chance to win back your faith in our brand.

SEATTLE
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2013 via mobile

I stayed one night and used a hotel coupon for a nice discount. This location advertises "New Rooms," and quality of the improvements showed. Overall very clean including the bed and bathroom. I noticed no noises and had a quiet sleep. I like the free wifi. The neighborhood seemed fine, and stores and restaurants are within a mile distance. Good location, and don't forget to use a coupon.

• Stayed December 2013
Kathleen T, General Manager at Red Roof Inn San Antonio - Airport, responded to this review, December 20, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post such a nice review about your recent stay at our hotel. I am very happy to hear that you were pleased with your accommodations and the you were able to navigate around with ease. I truly appreciate your tips to our future guest allowing them to utilized the wonderful coupons we have available for our visitors. Thank you again and we all look forward to serving you again should your travels return you to the area.

Roswell
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2013

I stay in Red Roofs all over the country and this one is as consistently good as they get. Everything works, they'll get you in early if possible and the nonsmoking rooms are always fresh and clean.
There are a lot of others who can learn from them.
The down side, no USA TODAY.

Room Tip: Stay away from the laundry and housekeeping area. The airport shuttle runs till all hours, so you mi...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Kathleen T, General Manager at Red Roof Inn San Antonio - Airport, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
November 13, 2013

Thank you for the wonderful review. I feel there is no better description than "consistently as good as they get." It is what every team in any industry wants to hear. I will share your comments with the staff. I am certain they will smile as much as I have reading this review. I look forward to your next visit with us.

Blue Springs, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2013

We arrived after a long drive from Kansas City, MO. Needless to say we were exhausted, Staff was so helpful in getting us checked in quickly. Room was clean and very comfortable. The Morning staff was very helpful in giving us info about shuttles to Airport, and making arrangements to leave my car there for 2 weeks. I felt a little un sure about leaving my car there while we traveled to Mexico(due to my own reservations), however when we returned the car was safe and sound.
I would definitely bring my family back and stay. Thank you

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Kathleen T, General Manager at Red Roof Inn San Antonio - Airport, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
November 6, 2013

Thank you for the great comment. The park and fly feature of this property is a benefit that does not receive many mentions. We charge less than the airport and your vehicle is not stored in a parking lot dedicated to long term parking. The staff loves to see the feedback on their service. I will make sure to show it to everyone here.

We look forward to your next visit with us.

Round Lake, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2013

The hotel was very clean and the room was very large. The staff took extremely good care of me, after I had been on standby at the airport for over 14 hours. They helped me get to and from the hotel/airport even though the shuttle was not running. They also ensured I had a wake up call. For the price and customer service received from Aldo and John, I had an excellent stay!

Room Tip: I was on the third floor and it was very quiet.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Kathleen T, General Manager at Red Roof Inn San Antonio - Airport, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
October 31, 2013

I am pleased to read of your satisfaction with the hotel and the staff after your grueling ordeal at the airport. Aldo, John and the rest of the team is truly exceptional. They work to make every guest feel confident, significant, and delighted. Thank you for posting the great review. I hope you will stay with us if you visit San Antonio in the future.

Oaxaca
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013

The hotel is located close to the airport and was a bit difficult to find but well worth the effort. It was exceptionally clean and the staff was very friendly. The room looked as if it had just be renovated and the bathroom was exceptionally clean. There was a large flat screen TV, room safe, and wi-fi. I fly to San Antonio frequently and will definitely stay again at this hotel. If you are a senior, be sure to ask for the senior discount.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Kathleen T, General Manager at Red Roof Inn San Antonio - Airport, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a TripAdvisor review. We do offer discounts year round for AAA, seniors, government, and military. While we are awkward to get to, we are conveniently located at the intersection of the 281 and 410 Loop. This enables our guests to quickly go to all the local attractions: Outlet malls in San Marcos, Formula 1 racetrack in Austin, North Star Mall, Six Flags, SeaWorld, and, of course, the River Walk.

We are very pleased that you plan to stay with us in the future.