“I saw nothing wrong with this hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Inn at Market Square Downtown

The Inn at Market Square Downtown
Ranked #294 of 353 Hotels in San Antonio
new jersey
“I saw nothing wrong with this hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2009

Came to town for Lackland AFB graduation. After reading all of the other reviews, I was nervous and scared about staying at this hotel. I acted like I didn't have a reservation and asked if I could see three different rooms, in 3 different areas of the hotel, all non smoking. The room in the back of the hotel smelled like smoke, but in good condition, and the other 2 were perfectly fine. The hotel was nothing like the reviews, I saw totally refurbished rooms with no cracks in the walls or ceilings, and they were very clean. When I asked for anything, they were at my door in 5 minutes. The continental breakfast was always stocked, but if you don't wake up early the line is long. They say breakfast until 9, but kept it open until everyone was done( 10:00 or more) The pool was nice but had a little bit of a salty taste from the chlorine the pool company put in, I don't ever recommend drinking public pool water anyways so keep your mouth closed. They also allow it to stay open passed the hours posted. The lady at the desk was very helpful with everything. My 20 yr. old daughter was coming to town also, so I reserved her a room right next to mine. The location is normal for a hotel and I would have to say just perfect, right off the exit, no driving around looking for it and the train tracks are about a 1/4 a mile away. Downtown/Riverwalk, I don't think so. We were close to them but not walking distance for kids. Wendy's, McDonald's,2 gas stations, and a taco restaurant right next to the hotel. The most important is that I felt safe putting my head down to sleep.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2009

This is the dirtiest place I have ever seen. The pillows smelled and the sheets were dirty, there was hair all over the floors and a roach crawling in the tub. WE left and went to another hotel...of course they wouldn't give us our money back they are so desperate but as much as I hated to loose my money it was worth it. Do yourself a favor and stay away this is for hookers and drug dealers

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these San Antonio hotels

Oklahoma
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2009

There was good and bad at this motel...First, the good...it is inexpensive, considering it is San Antonio. You really arent that far from downtown, so at least you wont drive forever from the hotel to see the sights of D-town. Second, the breakfast is free. In fact, the waffle maker is pretty cool, and the rooms are spacious. Now for the bad, and there's plenty of it. It is not in a terrific neighborhood. In fact, it gives you an uneasy feeling. We checked in at night and it was very dark (hardly any lighting), with train tracks close by, and yeah, you might hear those trains too, depending on what side of the complex you're located. Next, the room itself, which had obvious cracks in the ceiling: a sign of poor foundation, which is a scary sign if they dont take care of it in the near future. If there were cracks in our ceiling, im sure other rooms had a similar issue. While the breakfast is free, you better get there early, cuz the continental breakfast ends at the ridiculous time of 9am. Now if you wait until 8am to eat, you will be in a packed lobby, which is tiny and has just 5 tables and by then, they are all occupied. The juice makers were out of order all 3 days we stayed. The swimming pool was clean, but the water was salty. Me and my wife, along with some other guests, noticed that immediately. It was the first (and i hope) the only time i swim in a pool with salty water. I dont know why they salt their water, but they do. Then, the staff: I wouldnt describe them as mean, but definitely not hospitable. There are people at the convenience stores nearby who were nicer, which isnt saying much. That leads me to the last point, the bill. Listen close: when they tell you how much your room is on the day you check in, you are quoted one price, but then when you check out, it is going to be higher. The reason: The safe bill and the phone bill, in which you are charged $2 for each service per day, whether you use either of them or not. That was an extra $12 for a service we didnt use. I'd never heard of a phone charge but that's what was added to our bill. I've stayed at Days Inn before and didnt have bad stuff come up like they did at this one. Please believe me when i say that not all DAYS INN's are the same. They are individually owned, which showed in this case. If i were you, do not waste your money or time!!!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank danr56
Philadelphia,PA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2009

We arrived late in the evening and reception staff was pleasent. The hotel room was clean and bathroom was clean. The staff directed us on where to go to get food. The only negative was the location.gl. It is located next to the ditch and the wendy's but for the price it is a good value. If you plan to spend time outdoors and see San Antonio then this is great but not if you want luxory

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
BRANPLB
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2009

Do not stay at this hotel. It is nowhere close to any of the attractions...you must drive everywhere. Parking is $8 to $15 anywhere you want to go. The trolly does not run by this hotel. The last night of our stay our car was stolen, plus 2 others in the lot that night were broken into. The policeman who came to take our report said they have numerous call to this hotel. They have repeatedly encouraged Management to hire 24hr on site security due to the high crime rate here. Ofcourse we knew none of this prior to our stay. Take my word, spend a little extra on the front end, save money and heartache on the back end.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2009

Having done some research before leaving the UK we saw that a better rate can be got booking via the internet on a non refundable basis rather than the flexible rate. Having arrived in the US with a failed laptop power cable I remembered that we saw good reviews for the Days inn Alamo riverwalk but I inadvertantly booked this hotel ie Downtown / Riverwalk, well what a mistake. Whilst the desk staff were friendly, and the breakfast was good. The location was appalling and the room was filthy. I walked around the room for about 5 minutes before taking a shower and when in the shower, wondered where all the black i the water was coming from. The carpet was filthy.
I would nver recomend this hotel for location or cleanliness of the rooms.
Like the saying goes less speed, more haste. Fortunately we were only there for 2 nights.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Oklahoma
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2009

STAY SOMEWHERE ELSE! Rooms were so dirty we ended up booking a room with a different hotel. FAR from Riverwalk. Not downtown. Actually it is in a SCARY neighborhood. Rooms look like they haven't had updates or cleaning since 1982. Some chair looked like someone had gone to the bathroom on it. The corners of the rooms had piles of dirt. Don't let this place mess up your vacation too.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family