“Has Promise - but disappoints”

Tacos Y Burritos Metro Basilica 2
Cuisines: American
San Antonio, Tx
“Has Promise - but disappoints”
Reviewed August 18, 2012

Coffee rubbed pork excellent!
Coq qu vin... More gristle and bones, obviously bottom of pot! Flavors were good. This was last of this dish too!
They ran out of coffee rubbed pork.
Had no cream left for coffee.
bread pudding, dry and dense. Coffee just fair. Restaurant and chef have great potential. They need to get polished to be good!

San Antonio
“Not impressed with first visit”
Reviewed June 15, 2012

I had read a lot of good reviews, even one in the San Antonio newspaper so I was looking forward to this trip to the west side. I had one of their specials for the night. The Cuban is a pulled pork sandwich with fried plantian, cooked cabbage, I think, on a nice bun with a nice sauce. To be honest, the pork was kind of dried out and flavorless without using some of the sparse sauce. To be frank, I was expecting better. I was there at right about 6pm and there was only one other table occupied which doesn't build up much faith. Service was great with a young lady that knew the menu very well and recommended the Cuban over the Ruben which is what I came for. She was excellent, the jury is still out on the food however and really not sure I would take the longish trip from I-10 and 1604 area to try it again. You have to drive by a lot of proven restaurants to get there. I do wish them luck and hope my very average meal was an anomaly.

• Visited June 2012
Tampa, Florida
“The food here has zero competition on this side of town, it's #1”
Reviewed March 9, 2012

Had a solo lunch and ordered way too much food but I simply had to try 3 things. (food I took home won't make it past dinner tonight....) Started with the Asian glazed pork belly, this was so good I could brush my teeth with it, simply amazing. Next up was the shrimp and grits, beyond delicious, these 2 items so far would very likely be my "last meal" request. It's hard to explain to you how great this food is, you'll need to try it for yourself and I highly suggest that you do. The muffaletta sandwich was next, and I only had room for 1/4th of it. It is very, very good. I am nitpicking here, but I thought it was a little light on the meat and too heavy on the bread as the sandwich is at least 4 inches thick with most of it being the bread. Again, it was very good, just not the perfection of the first 2 items.
I read some of the reviews here and I can assure you that you will not have any complaints about the decor any longer, it's done very tastefully with local art and inviting colors.

• Visited March 2012
1 Thank vandertodd
Eagle, Idaho
“Has potential - good CIA trained chef - but work to be done here front of house”
Reviewed February 25, 2012

In the far northwest area of San Antonio, RoMo's restaurant was close to the Hyatt resort where we were staying. So, after checking in on a Saturday evening, we headed to RoMo's Café for dinner.

Based on that experience, we'd recommend Romo’s Café, with the following reservations, to folks staying at the nearby resorts and looking for a local restaurant as alternative to the plethora of chain and fast food joints.

Maybe our expectations were too high given other reviews. But RoMo’s has some work to do before we’d say it is a destination place for dinner.

Still, it is open for breakfast and lunch too and given the quality of the food, it’s worth a stop considering the alternatives in the area.

FOOD: The problem here is not the food. In fact the food is quite good and the menu is creative.

The menu ranges from things to casual basics like burgers and fries, to creative dishes like Arancini and duck confit filled ravioli. We had and both of the latter and both were very good.

Daily specials are posted on a chalkboard near the entry.

Not to mention the stars of the show at this restaurant, the desserts, are delectable. Our choices included a preserved lemon tart and a dessert for which the restaurant is well known, a date and coconut cake served with crème anglaise. Outstanding!

Interestingly, while the menu contained at least three kinds of French fries, including some cooked in duck fat, it contained not a single vegetable side dish.

Our server said that was because it was difficult to keep vegetables fresh and they didn’t necessarily sell with the folks who came in. We asked if the chef could find something in the kitchen to prepare a vegetable side for us and out came a very nice plate of sautéed fresh spinach. But really…folks in west San Antonio don’t eat veggies?

The chef is a CIA (Culinary Institute of America) graduate, an Air Force vet and he seems like an all around nice guy as he came out to say hello to diners.

And prices, compared to other San Antonio dining, are very reasonable.

But there are big hiccups in the overall experience that lead us to say just OK.

As follows.

WINE LIST: Texas only wines. Only about a dozen wines on the menu and they were out of four of them. Given the menu and the quality of food coming out of the kitchen, the wine list needs work. And when you have only a dozen or so on the menu, to be out of a third of the options suggests an overall need for better management around that.

AMBIANCE: While the “all people are welcome here” vibe is nice, there is lots of opportunity for improvement to make this also seem like a place one wants to linger and eat as opposed to eat and get out.

1. The space is too bright and the high white ceilings add to the feel that is more sports bar than fine casual dining. That isn’t helped by the half dozen big screen TVs, not operating, that are left over from a previous incarnation of the space when it was likely that very thing. Revising some repainting of the bright ceiling and removing the TVs would help.

2. There are far too many “sardine can” seating tables in the place. A restaurant that had as few as twenty-two diners total, including us, that came and went on a Saturday night during the nearly two hours we were there. We were seated near each other and so close together that we started to participate in each other’s conversations. A nice way to meet people, for sure, but not the ideal space planning layout for diner comfort or for wait staff to move about. And it creates a sense of “ooops…must not be so good” for diners who walk in to see so many tightly packed tables and so few people.

Our recommendation would be to remove some of the tables. That’s easy to do. It would allow for more space between tables to create a sense of intimacy and it would also avoid diners feeling as if they’ve entered a nearly empty catering hall. Space planning is key in a restaurant to draw people in.

3. The music mix needs work to synch up with where the chef wants to go. I’m as much a fan of Lady Gaga as anyone, but “Born This Way” at dance club sound levels is not so much background music for a restaurant. A good sound mix should enhance the ambiance.

SERVICE: Our server was energetic and enthusiastic about the menu (and did a pretty nice harmony with Gaga on the above named number). But this was more local diner service than fine casual dining service. The chef / owner needs to decide which direction he wants to take the restaurant, and help the service staff get there too. (He could go eat at Il Sogno or Sandbar in San Antonio and see the best models in action at front of house.)

BOTTOM LINE: There is a lot going for this place and the chef seems such a nice guy we’d love to see Romo’s Cafe succeed. But it needs some work to get beyond three points out of five from our view.

• Visited January 2012
San Antonio
“FABULOUS, fresh gourmet ~ Incredible service”
Reviewed January 26, 2012

Recently went to Romo's for a late lunch, early dinner on a Saturday after seeing incredible updates and pics on facebook. I had the Fra Diavolo and my husband had the Shrimp & Grits. Amazing. I have to say this is THE best dining experience in the Culebra/Westover area. Fresh ingredients and just the right portion size. The chef recommended a great Texas wine to accompany our dish and took it a bit further to explain details. We followed our meal by sharing a house made dessert, impossible pasteles (?) Can't recall the exact name but it was exceptional. Nice people run this place and they truly care about their craft and their customers. We will be back!

• Visited January 2012