“A very good week in Texas”

El Tropicano Riverwalk Hotel
Ranked #111 of 354 Hotels in San Antonio
Westminster, Maryland
“A very good week in Texas”
Reviewed September 7, 2010

I was the planner for a reunion of Air Force guys from the 1950's that wanted to visit San Antonio. After reviewing many proposals I selected the El Tropicano because they could fill all of our requirements, and offered a reasonable rate. About 80 attened the 5 day event. Two were initially not happy with their room; the hotel corrected the problem as soon as it was voiced. The catering and meeting requirements were all carried out with few problems. They did good.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (327)
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed August 14, 2010

This hotel was recommended to my daughter by a friend. I am glad we stayed there. It is an older hotel but the hotel is great! The room was very nice. It wasn't the largest room but it wasn't the smallest. The beds were comfortable. The room was very cool. No problems with the AC. The pool was very refreshing after a long, hot day at Seaworld.
The staff was wonderful! From the valet to the housekeeping staff and everyone in between. We had the breakfast buffet in the restaurant the next morning to start our day. Our waiter, Cesar, was right there when we needed more orange juice or coffee. And the kids enjoyed making their own waffles.
I will recommend the El Tropicano to friends and family. And I will stay there again on my next trip to San Antonio!!!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
New York
Reviewed July 30, 2010

I wanted a reasonably priced hotel near where my friend lived and El Tropicana Holiday Inn was it. It is on the River Walk but not close to where the "action" is. You'd have to walk it or a short cab ride ( I wouldn't recommend walking at night). My room was just OK. It had a musty smell to it which I deduced was coming from the A/C. The only chair in the room had a tear in it and wasn't near the desk but on the other side of my bed (No one is checking the maid service?) Wall paper too was tearing off part of the wall. There's a great coffee maker in the room but the maid service didn't clean the cups or give me new coffee pads on one of my four days. Oh, and the bathroom TP role was way too close to the toilet seat. If I was a larger person I'd have to sit side-saddled lol.
That said, the place was clean and the restaurant was good on the night it rained heavily and I didn't want to venture out. Would I go back? Not really. I'd find a closer hotel to that "action" I mentioned earlier.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed July 29, 2010

Stayed there over the weekend and it was the worst expeierence ever. Ice machines were out and asked desk to send some over and never got it and asked gentlemen that was working there my complain and just blew me off. Rooms were full of crickets and just old better to stay some where else and avoid the 18.00 charge for parking.

• Stayed July 2010
arnaudville, louisiana
Reviewed July 26, 2010

The staff was very friendly. Our two bed room was small. They have no complimentary micro fridge nor microwave. No ice bucket in our room either. You can pay $10 for a refrigerator and another $10 the microwave. The ice machine on our floor is broken. The toilet is too close to the wall (one side). The restaurant is nice and the mango margarita was very good. The air conditioner is a wall mounted job. One thing that saves this is the vane control. Parking is $18 per night. You would think it would be a part of the room fee. This place is no five minute walk from the Alamo either. My 9 yr old son found a coffee mug under the bed. We won't be using hotwire.com again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Tyler, Texas
Reviewed July 22, 2010

We had a problem with our room at first, so we went to the front desk. They immediately moved us to the top floor in a very nice suite. They also gave us coupons for a free breakfast the next day. The new room was beautiful, spacious, with an incredible view. I was nervous after reading the reviews, but the staff is definitely customer-service oriented. Sure, you have to pay for parking, but you have to pay for it everywhere in that area. You'll understand when you get there. Buy a trolley ticket for $4/day and just ride it anywhere. It's a nice hotel and an unbeatable value.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Staceysgirl
Tyler, Texas
Reviewed July 13, 2010

This isn't a bad hotel for the price if you're just looking for a place to sleep & bathe. Paid about $129 per day plus an extra $18 per day to park. A little ridiculous but that's par for San Antonio.
Friendly and helpful staff. Hotel was quiet. Our room was small but clean. Not many amenities. Had balcony with view of downtown in the distance. Long walk to major attractions or main area of Riverwalk and a little pricey to catch a cab or trolley (when there's 4 of you). Pool area was okay and free breakfast was okay but nothing to write home about.
If you want to be in the center of everything and want more amenities, you'll have to pay the price.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family