“Excellent Value” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #128 of 357 Hotels in San Antonio
Waco, Texas
“Excellent Value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2009

Stayed at The EL TOPICANO a couple of weeks ago. Had a great time. The staff was very frendly and helpfull. The room was clean and very comfortable. Had a great steak at the resturant. The bar with the 2 man band was fantastic. These guys can play anything. For the money & location this is one of the best values in San Antonio.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
Central TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2009

My husband and I were at the El Tropicano in early August. We were in town for a golf outing. We had the best time! Our room was great and the service was excellent. The ladies enjoyed sitting around the pool and enjoyed the bar outside. We had delicious food in the restaurant for breakfast and dinner. There was no reason to leave the hotel on the night the duo was in the bar playing Santanna and Stevie Ray!! They were awesome.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
houston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2009

I booked this hotel for 2 rooms - 3 nights on priceline - name your own price and paid $50/night so we saved about $300-400! Nice hotel, friendly staff, not close to the main riverwalk area of San Antonio, but about 5 min drive. No frills and not 5 stars but then again, we only used the room for changing and sleeping, so no big deal.

Parking is $15/night per car. We'll definitely stay again.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars
Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2009

This hotel was well worth the price. I think the bad reviews are from very picky people. The staff was great and changed my room to a lower floor due to my fear of heights. It was nice and clean. THe pool was nice. The restaurant was not overpriced, in fact the food was better there than at an expensive eating place on the Riverwalk. ( Take the fish with the salsa. ) You can sit out and eat on the patio in the evening. The kids ate free at least one meal a day. And yes, you do have to walk about 20 minutes to get to the main Riverwalk area, but it was scenic and peaceful. It was not a strenuous ordeal, and I had 3 kids with me. Take the boat ride back if you don't like excercise. I would definitely stay here again.

J. Soileau

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars
Rockford, MI
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2009

As a Priority Club member, I booked a three-night stay. Upon arrival, around 10:00 pm, I was assigned the requested king room. I told the night desk clerk I needed a quiet room, and she assured me I had one. Not possible, given that the room was immediately adjacent to the elevator shaft, a fact she must have known.

When I walked into the room, the smell of mildew blowing from the antiquated ceiling-mounted air conditioner was overpowering. And the headboard of the bed was attached to the elevator shaft common wall. I immediately called the night desk clerk, advised her as to why the room was not satisfactory, and was told that it was the only room available in the hotel. Between the mildew smell, the cough it induced and the elevator noise, I got little sleep.

Tthe next morning, the day desk clerk asked why I was checking out two days early and had not even used my breakfast coupon. I told her. She apologized profusely for the condition of the room and the conduct of the night desk clerk, wondered aloud why I had not been assigned another room because one was apparently available, and said I would not be charged. I thanked her. Nevertheless, upon arrival home, I found the full charge for the wretched night's stay posted to my credit card account.

I can't believe this hotel is rated 12 out of over 300 in the San Antonio area. There are a lot of good hotels in downtown San Antonio. This, however, is not one of them.

I moved over to the Omni La Mansion for the last two nights, and a had a great stay. Right on the Riverwalk, extraordinarily courteous staff, and quiet as a tomb.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars

Travelers are raving about these San Antonio hotels

Waco,TX.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2009

Recently spent a 3 day weekend in San Antonio. Had a great time and the hotel was a big part of a pleasant stay. Good location, good food, great band in the bar, and friendly staff. Jim B

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2009

My mom and I went for Spring Break for 5 days. I must say I am the one that booked it and my mom was a little worried because the price to stay was so cheap. You do have to pay for parking at the hotel...but we didn't mind at all. We abolutely loved our stay at this hotel. Great service! The staff is SO nice, welcoming, friendly, at your service at all times. Any questions about walking directions or sight seeing they are there for you....such a help! The rooms were a nice size, clean, comfortable! The pool was very nice, on top of the roof so you can catch some sun if your there in a sunny season! This hotel is very family oriented...very nice. They showed movies almost every night at the pool. You can even watch the movies from your room! (Disney movies, etc.) There restraunt in the hotel is pretty good. Location I'd say was perfect for us...yes we had to walk a possible 5-8 minutes to get to the River Walk...but the staff really helped give us faster walking directions. It didn't feel like it took long at all to get to the River Walk. Also if you would like to keep a work out while your on vaction there fitness room is very nice!!!

When we go back to SA we are staying here! =]

• Stayed March 2009