“Great Place”

El Tropicano Riverwalk Hotel
Ranked #120 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed June 12, 2014

I came to TripAdvisor because we had such a great time last week at this hotel I wanted people to know and I read the latest comments and now my review is in defense of the hotel mainly. About the animal comment, it is just flat not true, I saw the turtles and birds and tropical atmosphere, it was wonderful to see them in a public environment and they were not being abused (other than contained) nor neglected. They looked fine, I am not a vet but an animal lover and I would be screaming if I saw what they said. And the other person about roaches is just showing their ignorance, there beetles and it is beetle "breeding" season in TX, their everywhere and mainly unstoppable. I didn't have any in my room. Now for our experience: Parking does suck in that area but it is the Riverwalk and very congested, I expected it and we didn't need the car as we were walking distance to everything. We paid a little more than one of the nasty reviewers paid! The staff was great when we interacted and friendly when we passed but we were on a get away and didn't pay much attention. The room was great, clean I didn't feel like I needed to wear socks, bathroom was fine, cleaner than ours at home, lol. The bed held up great, didn't notice anything which to me is good. The location was super, there were lots of shops, mainly tourist stuff and a cool Harley shop, great restaurants in the area and some great BBQ, the Riverwalk was fun, would have been perfectly romantic if there had been less people. You walked right out and could get on a river boat ride, they had taxi's too. I will definitely stay here again

Room Tip: Third floor is best.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank MilitaryHouser

Reviewed June 12, 2014

We recently enjoyed this lovely historic hotel for a conference. The staff was beyond outstanding, as were the meeting rooms and public areas. The fitness center was great! I just read two bad reviews here that surprised me. I'm sensing maybe sour grapes on someone’s part since they seem over the top and not at all what we experienced. We were there during the citywide beetle invasion; it was even all over the local news. What is a place to do, gas everyone with pesticide to try and win a losing battle? If they had done that I would have had to go to another place because that stuff makes me sick. We only saw the beetles on the outside of the hotel (and all over the town) and one that may have tracked in on the lobby floor and one in the hallway. They hit the city by the thousands and then are gone pretty fast. They are not roaches and the photo with that bad review is of one of those black beetles, not a gross roach. We have experienced the same thing in Texas when their stink bugs invade in the spring and those are way worse than black beetles.

We all loved Rickey the Toucan even when he made a little noise, he made the ambiance of the place and knowing a thing or two about birds, I can report he certainly seemed to be very well cared for and housed in a clean appropriate enclosure, as were the other animals there and we enjoyed being able to observe them. The rooms were clean, comfortable and quiet with great bathrooms. The hotel is located at the top of the Riverwalk where the water taxi starts and it is a comfortable 10 minute walk to the heart of the action. We have stayed further down, but it was noisy, congested and drunken people were a nuisance, not so near this hotel. We had no issue parking and found the breakfast to be better than many others and was reasonably priced. All the people that worked there from the front desk to the convention service people were very friendly and more than accommodating and professional. We especially loved Joanne, I think she would have done all our work for us and tucked us in at night if we let her! Our group all said they would be happy to stay there again next year, and we have a some picky people. Thank you to everyone who made our stay and our training such a success! I hope to be back next year.

Room Tip: The halls and the rooms smelled good, which matters to me. No cig or pot smoke or yucky orders at al...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Dawn S
Reviewed June 12, 2014

I was booked here for a business trip by the host of the trip. I had no idea what to expect. Upon arrival, the exterior of the hotel appeared to be dated, but once I entered the lobby, I was pleasantly surprised to find it very clean and somewhat modern. My room was very comfortable. The staff was very accommodating and friendly. We had one meeting and dinner at the hotel and the remainder of our business trip was off site. My stay was extended an extra day due to flight cancellation, so I opted to stay at a different hotel a little closer to the "action" of the river walk. BAD CHOICE! I wished that I had just decided to return to the El Tropicano. They are just across the street from a very nice area of the river walk where the taxi boats pick up. It was very easy to access and navigate from this area. It appeared to be a fairly safe area. I didn't feel safe at my alternate location the last night. I would definitely return to El Tropicano should I have another trip to San Antonio. It was a great stay at a very reasonable price.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Lvbeach85
Reviewed June 8, 2014

Caveat: I didn't book this hotel myself, my company booked it for me. I don't recommend anyone to staythere. Although the staff were friendly, I was disappointed in the overall cleanliness of the hotel. It is located in a desert waste of a place in San Antonio. Access to the riverwalk is across the street and a nice long walk to downtown. The really BAD and DISTRESSING aspect of the hotel is the live animals that live there. There is a toucan (tropical bird) and a tortiose behind glass that are neglected. In the hallway are two small conures in a cage. They looked ill, the cage was filthy and the food was inadequate. I was told by a staff member that many guests complain regularly to the manager, but nothing changes. I reported the situation to the Humane Society in San Antonio. Don't use this hotel if you can't stand neglect.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank pf22014
Tim R, General Manager at El Tropicano Riverwalk Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2014

I apologize that you were not satisfied with your stay but thank you for acknowledging our wonderful staff.

In regards to the care of our animals we take great care of them. Speedy, the tortoise, is 14 years old and lives on a steady diet of romaine lettuce twice daily as well as a few strawberries per week and vet recommended vitamins. Ricky, our toucan, is also fed twice daily and enjoys grapes, melons, a hard boiled egg ( once a week) as well as vitamin supplements and will be turning 8 this year. On many evenings he is hand fed grapes. The two Conures are in a separate enclosure and are also approaching 8 years with us and get a great blend of food from a local pet store that keeps them happy and great amusement for our younger guests.

I will be happy to share any information the Humane Society recommends to us should they visit. Please contact me at the below email.

Best Regards, Tim
timreed@eltropicanohotel.com

Reviewed June 7, 2014

Let’s end with the roaches. Parking was $21 per day. Location is in the hood of downtown. Breakfast is not complimentary. It is across the street from the RiverWalk, not next to it, as given the impression.
On the inside, it looks like it is nice, with the trees, birds and layout. However, the room appears to be more so like an upgraded Motel 6, given that it is more than $110 per night for a double bed room with a fridge. After an exhausting trip, we arrived around 10:30pm, checked the beds and went to sleep on those rock hard double pillows that put crooks in your neck.
At 5:05am, I was awaken by something running across my leg. Lifted the covers and a roach was running over my leg. Gross! Stood up and dialed O, told the night man and he said that because it was raining and I was on the pool floor, there have been several complaints of roaches. He called security to move us to another room. At that time, I took off the sheets and there was another roach next to one of the pillows where my head was! Security came and as we were packing, another roach (or maybe the first one) was on the floor between the beds and he saw it!! He immediately moved us to the 5th floor where “there were no roach issues”. No fridge in this room and the balcony lock was busted, so children could easily take a dive onto the roof or concrete next to the pool…
Went to breakfast the next morning, which was not free…then a graduation. Got back at midnight. Did a roach check. There was a roach on the floor in the new room! We immediately checked out in the middle of the night. If you were there this weekend, I’d be the one hollering to the night man in the lobby about roaches and unsafe rooms. He had the nerve to say the hotel was NOT infested with roaches. I guess they just liked my rooms…The security guard watched and didn’t say a word. We drove down the highway a few miles until we found a well-known roach-free hotel. All the amenities and free breakfast and parking for the same nightly price, I might add. And I did ask about roaches before checking in this time. Never again will we stay at El Tropicano Motel 6.
Luckily, without issue, Groupon refunded my money and appears to have taken the hotel off their site. I haven’t seen any vacationing roaches in my bags, so hopefully I didn’t bring any home.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Aliya H
Tim R, General Manager at El Tropicano Riverwalk Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2014

Thank you for your review and I apologize for the problems you encountered. We have a comprehensive pest control program for the hotel and unfortunately during the week of your stay the city was experiencing a wave of Texas Black Beetles which is what is in your photo. A google of San Antonio beetle invasion will show our local news reporting about the city wide problem.

Regardless, a bug in your room is unacceptable and we are thoroughly inspecting our rooms to ensure we are beetle free.

Thank you again for your comments and rest assured they were taken to heart.

Regards, Tim

Reviewed June 5, 2014

Only stayed here for a night for a business trip. Hotel is far from restaurants and bars so had to walk quite far to get to dinner. The room was ok and clean, bed was comfy. Best to ask the reception people the best way to get to your room - looks like they extended their rooms so that it makes it a little difficult to find your way on your own. The bar at the ground floor was decent and the drinks weren't that expensive but the deli closes early so you'll end up eating vending machine food if you get stuck at the hotel at night without dinner.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank manilamoongoddess
Reviewed June 5, 2014

My husband and I really enjoyed our stay at El Tropicano on the Riverwalk during our recent visit to San Antonio. The atmosphere was great and the staff was great. Although the hotel is located on the riverwalk it is a little distance from the restaurant district but it's a nice relaxing walk or you can take the boat taxi or the trolley. We actually walked down for dinner and enjoyed a nice boat ride back on the boat taxi. This was our first visit to El Tropicano but it won't be our last.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple