“Good value for the price.”

El Tropicano Riverwalk Hotel
Ranked #111 of 355 Hotels in San Antonio
“Good value for the price.”
Reviewed July 21, 2013

The hotel was clean and the staff was friendly. The front desk staff was very accommodating when there was an issue with my reservation. The rooms were smaller than most hotels, as it is an older property, but not tiny. The direct access to the riverwalk is nice but you have to walk over a half mile to the restaurant area. I would stay again.

• Stayed July 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (330)
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed July 11, 2013

I just returned from a 3 day stay at this hotel. After reading previous reviews I was expecting the worst. To my surprise the hotel is very nice. We had 3 rooms total and all were nice and clean including the bathrooms. The rooms were the same size as any other hotel in my opinion. The staff were all nice and accommodating. The breakfast buffet is a little pricey at 9.95 but kids 6 and under eat free. The pool area is nice as well.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Livermore, California
Reviewed July 10, 2013

We recently stayed here while attending a trade show. The rooms are nice, comfortable and clean, but the halls need to be refreshed. The area around the hotel seems safe and quiet. Since the hotel was on the Riverwalk, I expected it to be close to restaurants and bars. It's actually about a 10-15 min walk down the Riverwalk to get to the restaurant area. We walked down to eat and took a $7 cab ride back to the hotel. If you are going to a conference, don't plan on walking. This hotel is about a 15-20 minute walk from the convention center. Luckily for me the hotel was on our conference's bus route. One nice feature of the hotel is the breakfast buffet. It's not fancy, but the food is good. For the buffet including your drink it's $11.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
San Diego, California, USA
Reviewed July 6, 2013

True it's an old hotel. Room had a strange odor had to turn off ac when realized that's where the smell was coming from. Very noisy family in next room. None of this out weighs the incredible staff. We checked in after midnight and Steve at front desk was happy, accommodating and extremely helpful. Valet was quick and very pleasant as well and the lady in housekeeping.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Monterey, California
Reviewed July 5, 2013

I stayed at the property for several nights while in San Antonio for a convention and chose the El Tropicano because of the reasonable room rate and location on the Riverwalk. The location on the Riverwalk is a special treat and I enjoyed taking the river taxis to and from the hotel and the 'action' downtown.

The property is older, but the owners have put a lot of effort and thought into renovating the public areas of the property to its Havana nights, 1950's theme. The staff was excellent--I didn't run into one person that wasn't cordial or helpful. I ate at the hotel's breakfast buffet twice and found it reasonably priced (about $10) for the selection--everything from cereal and yogurt to sausage, bacon, eggs, pancakes and potatoes. The hotel also has a lounge and coffee bar. I also received a great recommendation from the hotel staff for an early breakfast one morning--Pete's Tako House--one of the culinary highlights of the trip!

My room was small but well appointed and comfortable with a lovely flat screen TV with HD service and a very robust air conditioner. Although the rooms on either side of me were occupied, I never heard my neighbors. The weather was very hot while I was in town, so the A/C was on 24-7, but I smiled when I saw a real window that could have been opened to let in fresh air at night. A rare treat in these days of sealed hotel rooms.

The area around the hotel is quiet and in a bit of transition with a new performing arts center being built nearby. The hotel charges nightly for parking, and although I didn't have trouble finding a spot, the lot did fill near to capacity on Friday and Saturday night. Access to the parking lot is a bit tight, so if you have a larger vehicle (trailer or truck) you might need to park on the street or at one of the nearby private lots. I didn't keep the rental car for my entire trip but had no trouble getting to or from the hotel on either the local shuttles or river taxis.

Staying at this hotel was a treat and I would recommend it to others visiting the San Antonio area.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Texas
Reviewed July 2, 2013

We recently held a long weekend reunion and birthday party/banquet at the El Tropicano hotel. We had excellent service and the banquet department was great. They decorated for us and had everything in place when we arrived. The food was awesome and every detail had been taken care of. The staff was super friendly and attentive which, as one of the party givers, made our time there enjoyable and stress free. I would recommend their facility to anyone looking to host an event. Thank you to JoAnn and Yvette for their hard work.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the pool.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed July 1, 2013

The hotel is older and they have keep the sixty feel to the hotel. The rooms are small but nice. We had a view of the River Walk. Woke up to ducks and turtles everyday. The bar downstairs was a nice place to cool out after a day out in the heat before dinner. The staff were friendly and helpful. The trolley stopped in front of the hotel which is so nice. The pool is a nice way to cool off in the afternoon. It was not full any of the times we swam. The breakfast buffet was excellent but expense as was the parking. I have never stayed at a place that had some many people working to keep it fresh and clean.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple