“First trip to Texas” 5 of 5 stars
Review of El Tropicano Riverwalk Hotel

El Tropicano Riverwalk Hotel
Ranked #126 of 359 Hotels in San Antonio

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
Wilmington, Delaware
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

First I have to agree with many others who have commented on this hotel in saying the staff was very nice and accommodating whenever they could be. Our room was clean and the maid service was very good at keeping it that way. Overall our stay was very nice and I would recommend this hotel to anyone staying in San Antonio. There were a few negatives but they were minor. The location is technically on the riverwalk but it is a hike to the restaurants and shops. Take the overland route, it’s much shorter. The hotel bars didn’t open until 2pm. When I’m on vacation and sitting by the pool at noon, I may want a cocktail. The room we had did not have a frig or microwave. If I’m in a room for more than one night it’s nice to have these things. So overall a couple of minor inconveniences but a nice place to stay for a few days; I would stay here again. I did book this through Orbtz.com. I will never use Orbitz again. Nothing to do with the hotel but Orbitz's customer service dept was horrible and refused to allow me to make a change to my flight literally 5 minutes after I booked. There was some sort of error with the booking. The flight that booked was not the one I chose. They refused to acknowledge the error and insisted on charging me for the change even though it wasn’t my fault. Bye Bye Orbitz.com. You’ll never see me again. And I will tell everyone who will listen about the bad experience I had with Orbitz.com.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Patrick B
California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

This place was booked using the Internet so the price did not hurt our pockets. The advertising made it seem like a great place to stay, no so. The room was dirty, I found human hair balls on the floor. I'm not making this up. We left it alone since it was along the wall and away from us having any contact with it. Not hard to miss at all. I figured it would be cleaned up the next morning. It was not, showing us exactly the type of attention the room was given. The windows are so old that the outside noise comes right into the room at night. We were awaken several times by police, ambulance and fire trucks running their sirens to who knows what was happening nearby. People walking by outside could be overheard. I still don't get why we had to pay so much for parking. The parking lot was open to anyone who wanted to walk by and take a look at the cars. The magnetic cards stopped working several times causing an inconvenience for me and my family. Too far from the main attractions on the Riverwalk, and the individuals loitering along the route made us concerned for our safety. Next visit to the Riverwalk will not have me staying at this place. Sorry.

• Stayed March 2013
3 Thank TexasNative71
ElTropicanoHotel, Manager at El Tropicano Riverwalk Hotel, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
We're sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. George Strait had a concert in town over the weekend and we were sold out. Your initial concern about the room's cleanliness was inexcusable on our part, regardless of the fact that our staff was especially busy. Obviously we do our best to keep every room as clean as possible, but clearly we made a mistake there. It will be pointed out to our maintenance department - typically they do an excellent job. We presume the unusual noise level was due to the concert, nearly every hotel in the area was sold out and there were many more people downtown than usual. We actually charge less than most of our direct competitors for parking (10$ less than some), but we do apologize that the parking rates need to be as high as they are. You are not the first customer to point this out. Would you mind telling us your room number (or name if you cannot remember it) via email at eltropicanoriverwalkhotel@gmail.com so that we may look into why your card was not working? We sincerely appreciate the descriptive review, we will do our best to correct these issues immediately.

Travelers are raving about these San Antonio hotels

Fort Lee, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

Had a great time! Staff was very nice and had good recommendations for restaurants/attractions. Parkings a little pricey but always could find a spot and convenient. The main part of the river walk is about 10 minutes of walking, which could be a little inconvenient although there is art work, etc to see on the way. I'll definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Pool side rooms are convenient and great rooms.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Raleigh, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

nasty, not very clean, noisy and you pay for everything including parking. I will never stay here again and I suggest you don't ever plan to stay here either. the hotel was old and needs updating real bad, you could hear every one walking in the halls, the carpets were dirty as could be.

Room Tip: dont consider staying here and you will be much better off
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank DNC Y
ElTropicanoHotel, Manager at El Tropicano Riverwalk Hotel, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
We're sorry we did not meet your expectations. Would it be possible for us to contact you regarding your stay? We would like to determine which room you stayed in so that we may investigate the issue further.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013 via mobile

This hotel was really great. Very clean and wonderful costumer service. It is a little farther away from the shops and restaurants than 'just off the Riverwalk' but it's a really nice walk along the river to get there (about 10 minutes, $5 cab ride). Neighborhood seemed very safe. Great pool area and buffet, late checkout until 2pm with no extra charge. Overall I would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed May 2013
Guatemala City, Guatemala
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

El Tropicano is right on the River Walk in San Antonio, so unlike other hotels who claim to be close to the River Walk, this one really is 3 minutes stroll from it. The hotel has a decidedly retro feel to it and the rates are extremely reasonable given its very central location. The rooms are comfortable and it is possible to open the window if you don't want to use the AC. The corridors are a little tired and showing their age. The staff are helpful and friendly.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple