“Nice place” 4 of 5 stars
Review of El Tropicano Riverwalk Hotel

You added El Tropicano Riverwalk Hotel to your Saves list
El Tropicano Riverwalk Hotel
3.0 of 5 Motel   |   110 Lexington Ave, San Antonio, TX 78205-1313 (East Side)   |
Special Offer
Savings + Breakfast for 2
Ranked #128 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
“Nice place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013 via mobile

The price is good & the staff is very friendly. The rooms are good sized. The beds are kind of small but they are very Comfty. The only thing I wasn't happy about was the carpet. Our room had plenty of stains all over the carpet but other than that I really enjoyed our stay. The pool is nice and there is a small bar in the pool area. It is right along the riverwalk but it's a good 8-10 minute walk to get the main part on the Riverwalk. I would stay here again!

• Stayed March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (260)
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for two nights while visiting San Antonio. We booked the hotel through Hotwire and received a very good price. Overall, it is a good hotel for the price we paid. The front desk personnel were friendly and the room was very clean. The hotel was older but was recently remodeled. The bathroom was small by today's standard but it suited our needs. The hotel is right on the Riverwalk but it takes about 10 minutes to get to the nightlife. We felt very safe walking along the river but we were home by 9 pm.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
ElTropicanoHotel, Manager at El Tropicano Riverwalk Hotel, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and we are glad that everything went well. We look forward to your return visit to our hotel.
Firestone, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

Had to find a place to stay for my daughter visiting her sister, who lives on base in San Antonio. After reading reviews of El Tropicano online, and although usually relying on a 'mainstream hotel', and seeing they offer GREAT RATES, and reading some reviews, I booked the hotel for my daughter for one night. She says "IT IS THE BEST! Nicely updated, beautifully decorated, new decor blending well with original architecture. Pool was nice, but would have liked a hot tub. Breakfast was great...a bit crowded, with such wonderful fare, at a reasonable price, it was worth the wait! Thanks for the military discount, btw. All in all...A+ HOTEL. Will stay there, the next time in San Antonio.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Anniston, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Our room was large and comfortable . Location was great, trolley stop out front, and river taxis a short walk. A lot of good food, drinks and entertainment. Be sure and go to Rosario's for excellent food!

Room Tip: Room 358 had a separate room with desk, fridge and coffee maker. Corner room, not a good view, but...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Amarillo, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013 via mobile

I was told the hotel had personality. I think this was their way of saying tired. The renovated room was nice, but cheaply updated. The unrenovated room they wanted to put us in was awful. The mattress was so worn out and saggy that the floor would have been better. I am glad I had seen a previous review saying to ask for an updated room. To set the record straight, the hotel is on the Riverwalk. However, it is a 15 to 20 minute walk to the downtown area where all of the action is. The housekeepers were nice but most of the front desk obviously didn't enjoy their jobs. Maybe it is because they have to deal with customer complaints, but friendliness would be a benefit.

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank Born-on-Rt66

Travelers are raving about these San Antonio hotels

auburn
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

Filthy hotel
stains on carpet and bedding
Very small rooms
Filthy bathroom with very concerning stains on back of bathroom door
Spiders and what appeared to be pubic hair in tub
no place to eat except breakfast
horrible customer service lying about not being able to get out of reservation
we called hotels.com and tbey said we could absolutely get out of reservation sincce the "deal"
was through hotel.
gross grosd grodd

Room Tip: Do not stay
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Annapolis, MD
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

This is my second time reviewing this place -- apparently my curt review previously was not sufficient for Trip Advisor. So here's a more thorough review...

Firstly let me say that the hotel is well situated - not quite downtown but still on the river walk. It's actually nicely away from the downtown traffic and hustle and bustle. The Exterior and lobby are very mid-century modern and well maintained. The rooms are clean and nice enough - but quite sterile and a bit "90's La Quinta Inn" for my tastes. Since I wasn't able to actually STAY at the El Trop, this is about all I can say about that.

This weekend a friend from grade-school was getting married so I hopped a flight from Phoenix to San Antonio. I knew I was on a late flight - so when making the booking on Hotels.com, I noted late check-in. My flight was going to be coming in later than originally expected so we called ahead to notify them of the arrival time. Originally we were told this was not a problem and to keep them abreast of any changes. We called again, later in the day, to remind them and again were told this would not be an issue and the room would be ready for us upon our late arrival (2am) but that we should call when we land so that the night crew doesn't cancel our reservation.

We did as we were told, however, the overnight agent informed us that we made an "expedia.com" reservation (nope) and that they don't honor those if they are busy. I explained that no, in fact we had a Hotels.com reservation and that we had pre-paid and as such I expected a room. I was again told no, regardless, we have one room available and there are multiple people vying for this room and that they would give it away to the first customer who arrived. I explained we were told that our room would be held and that we were at the airport. I got a snippy response that we had better book it over there if we expected to have a room. I responded if they gave it away they had better be arranging a new room at another hotel, and they had better provide transportation.

We arrived and are immediately told "sorry, we gave it away" as someone was able to get to the hotel before us. So here is my first concern - regardless of the booking agency, why the heck did you give away a PAID room? We paid for it. We informed them of the lateness of our arrival that was beyond our control SEVERAL times and then they still gave it away. I don't care if you might have gotten a slightly better rate from the new customer - you don't give away paid rooms.

My second issue was the way that they handled our restrained response. They did not say "I'm sorry but it's hotel policy and we are working to get you something better, have a drink at the bar on the house while we make this right" etc... Nope. She refused to make eye contact and gave us snotty responses the entire time. No real apology just, "this is the way things are, deal with it" sort of attitude. We had to ask for a GM before she started making phone calls to find us a place to stay. It took her nearly an hour to get us a room and a cab. It was well past 3am by the time we arrived at our hotel.

From what I can tell - this is not an isolated incident either. It would seem that this is, overall, how the staff have been trained to treat guests. My guess is this is a management issue since the problems didn't stop at service. The bar was understaffed, and not just under-stocked; it was UN-stocked. They were completely out of a number of standard libations (Tequila?) by 10pm on Saturday. The bad customer service did not end with us either. Two other parties, including the bride and groom had incidents with staff. Firstly, they refused again to honor an Expedia.com booking for a king size room and instead issued a room of their choosing, and argued that they did not have to honor any of their selection choices since they did not book direct. Secondly, the groom called to retrieve his "romance" package that he paid for since it had not been delivered to the room. He was met with indignation that there was no such thing, and that he had in fact only paid for two drinks at the bar. The next morning when he complained, the staff retrieved a warm bottle of champagne and a mug full of Ferrero-Roche chocolates (how 'romantic'). Thirdly, the hotel at which I was put up (which was beautiful and has great staff -- the Riverwalk Vista) had problems with the El Trop not wanting to remit payment to them AFTER they sent us over with a signed letter that said "Please accept our guests we will cover the charges etc...)

It was all just too disorganized and full of rude people... I get that our party was minor in the scheme of things but it wasn't minor to us. I haven't seen most of these people in years and it was almost a reunion of sorts and their staff put a real dent in our attitude a number of times. It was pretty disappointing. I think that El Trop's biggest problem is that they were NOT prepared or trained properly for a busy weekend. It was Spring Break AND St. Patty's day weekend, and everyone seemed completely harried by this.

Moral of the story: book direct, and stay somewhere else if it's a busy weekend.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends