“Another wonderful stay”

El Tropicano Riverwalk Hotel
Ranked #119 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Thank you, again - El Tropicano - for making our annual visit to San Antonio a pleasant, relaxing and fun experience. I still miss your dinner menu, but breakfast was good and the staff are consistently helpful, friendly and happy. It's a perfect location on the Riverwalk - away from the noise, but close enough to enjoy a walk. The pool is refreshing - love the music - and the new little electric car is a fun addition. We look forward to our next visit!!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank 8muse
There are newer reviews for El Tropicano Riverwalk Hotel

Reviewed September 23, 2012

I stayed here on a business trip.
The hotel was selected due to the location, very close to the event venue on river walk, and price, very accessible for the company.
When we got here, comments were they felt they were in Cuba, for the music on the motor lobby, and main lobby, very tropical.
Room was not clean at all, there were long hairs on the bath curtain and tub had many spots.
Bed was horrible, it looked bent & curvy
Breakfast was so so, but it can be better by adding just a few improvements.
No safe. Internet yes
It was a Holiday Inn. but I guess they stopped working with them due to standards.
I will definitively will not stay here while visiting with the family

Room Tip: Ask for a view to the garden or pool, very nice view
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank fbezamon
Reviewed September 19, 2012

The staff was great here at the el Tropicano riverwalk. The check in was simply flawless they helped us all the was from check in to check out with every need and want we had. The rooms were also very comfortable with the best beds of any hotel

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank wonderguest1355
Reviewed September 18, 2012

We were only going for a quick weekend getaway. I had read the reviews on this site, negative and positive. This was all and more than I had expected. Yes, the rooms are small, but very clean and the bed was comfortable. The latin flair was a totally enjoyable change, and being one that loves that musica, I was very pleased that the lively beat was piped in. All the staff were amazing, from check-in to the breakfast and bar crew. I defintely would come back return to this lille oasis.

Room Tip: The rooms with two double beds are larger.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cal0
Reviewed September 16, 2012

My mate and I were in need of some time together, we didn't want to drive for hours so we decided on San Antonio (an hour and a half from our home) I wanted someplace on the river walk but also not so pricy as the contessa or other hotels. I found the tropicana on an Internet search and I'm so glad we chose this hotel. They were reasonably priced, a great staff, a buffet breakfast (complementary), complemtary drink during their happy hour from 5 till 11pm. which includes a full bar. They have a great place to buy coffee (espresso bar) that has beverages, salads, sandwiches... Anything you really need for lunches or snacking,(open, i think, from 7am to 10 pm) we had the view of the river walk. The hotel lobby has plenty of outdoor seating and indoor as well to look over the river. Access to the river walk was directly across from the hotel on a street that had little traffic. I can't wait to go back to this magical place. Oh... and cocktails around tthe pool after 5 was delightful. I felt like I had stepped back into the early 60's, the hotel is mid century modern with a tropical twist. Check it out, you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: I recommend the river or pool views, I also like being on the second floor of the original building.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Capz L
Reviewed September 15, 2012

My family needed a weekend getaway and weren't sure where to stay. We decided on El Tropicano because of it being on the Riverwalk and it was priced lower than other hotels in the area. We were delighted with the hotel. We loved the clean, well maintained lobby with the Cuban flair and even Cuban music piped in!! We were looking for Ricky Ricardo!! Staff was friendly, rooms were immaculate, delicious drinks by the pool, and a wonderful hot breakfast sealed the deal. In addition to traveling the riverwalk by boat, we also caught the trolley bus right outside the hotel and went all over San Antonio in it! Great Adventure. We can't wait to return to the El Tropicano.

Room Tip: The hallways were a little narrow so I would choose a room close to the elevator. The service cart...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Karen12252012
Reviewed September 13, 2012

I booked our stay through the Hotel Tonight app 3 hours prior to arriving, but they did not have our reservation on file when we got there. They charge $18 per night to park in their hotel parking lot. Our rooms keys did not work to open the building's side doors like they were supposed to. One of the elevators was not working, but there was no sign for it. When we got to our room our door was jammed shut, and we had to slam our bodies against the door to get it open. It is a non-smoking hotel; however, our room smelled like stale cigarette smoke. Our room was dirty. The carpet was not vacuumed, surfaces were dusty, the bathroom floor had hairs on it, the toilet was dirty, the shower curtain had mold on it... Need I say more? It is located on the the river walk, but it is a pretty far walk away from any festivities. We were disappointed. I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012