El Tropicano Riverwalk Hotel
  • Breakfast included
$62
$426
$259
Comfort Suites Alamo/Riverwalk(San Antonio)
$134
$244
$239
$219
Hyatt.com
Omni La Mansion del Rio(San Antonio)
$245
$215
Omni Hotels
1,636 results
All reviewsthe riveran older hotelbreakfast buffetparking feethe pearlriverwalkdowntowntrolleyreuniontaxisalamotexassa
Reviewed June 1, 2011

Recently attended my son's graduation from US Air Force Basic Military Training at Lackland AFB and had booked this hotel through Priceline. I found out after the fact that this used to be a Holiday Inn property that was converted to it's present ownership in the not too distant past. The hotel itself was clean, the staff helpful and courteous. Although
the room I had (#214) was a bit small, it served it's purpose. Housekeeping was very
attentive. My main grip is with the parking fee for hotel guests. $18.00 per night! I find this a bit pricey. Especially when you can park your car across the street in an unattended lot for a third of the hotel's price. They can tell you that lot is unattended but guess what, theirs is also after a certain time at night. The only way I would recommend this hotel to anyone else is for the hotel to either rescind the parking fee or at least lower it for it's patrons. This is just another way to gouge the very people who are patronizing the establishment.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank rubekat
HotelManager3, Guest Relations Manager at El Tropicano Riverwalk Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to review our historic El Tropicano Riverwalk Hotel. It is only through the feedback of our guests that we can hope to improve in the future.

I do understand your frustration with the parking fees in the downtown Riverwalk area. Though the parking lots in the vicinity have a less expensive flat rate than the hotel parking, these parking lots do not allow for in and out privileges as the hotel parking lot does provide. With many of our guests visiting Six Flags or SeaWorld throughout their stay, most find the lack of paying each time they come and go to be a benefit of utilizing the hotel's parking lot.

That said I do understand and appreciate your feedback. We have recently added an option, on our website, to book a reservation that includes parking at a discounted rate. I hope our guests will find this as an added value in selecting the El Tropicano Riverwalk Hotel in future.

Reviewed May 29, 2011

Upon arrival not greeted by anyone or an available bellboy to carry our luggage we were told they were too busy and didnt have one. The appearance of the hotel on the website is very deceiving and the rooms nor the lobby looked anything like the pictures. The hallways while dragging our luggage to the room stunk as well as our room which was also so small and not comfortable. The ONLY thing I can say about the room was the A/C felt great and blew hard and cold. Last but not least we had to walk very far to get to the actual Riverwalk, shops, Alamo etc. because there was NOTHING around the Hotel as they portray it to be. They are located on the DEAD end of the river walk with nothing around. Needless to say we packed our stuff and left around 11 PM and went to the Hilton Palacio Del Rio which was wonderful!

2  Thank TheObservant
HotelManager3, Guest Relations Manager at El Tropicano Riverwalk Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to review the historic El Tropicano Riverwalk Hotel. We certainly appreciate your feedback as a means of better understanding our guest's impression of our hotel.

I'm terribly sorry that you did not enjoy your stay recently at our hotel. I understand that you were not pleased with our location on the Museum Reach of the Riverwalk. Though we are approximately 0.6 miles from the Alamo, some guests due prefer to stay at hotels on the Riverwalk that are located next to the bars and nightclubs.

We, at the El Tropicano Riverwalk Hotel, try to create a tranquil environment that is within walking distance, or a streetcar ride, to the bustle of the boisterous night life of the San Antonio Riverwalk area.

I am pleased to hear that your air conditioning functioned well and we were able to assist in your late evening departure to accommodations that better suited your needs.

Reviewed May 29, 2011

Me and my partner went to San Antonio for Memorial Weekend and was booked at this hotel it was so far from all the alamo attractions and the actual riverwalk. The service at this hotel is ridiculous. They didn't help with the bags, nor did they have valet help. The rooms were so small as well as the bathrooms. The staff was rude at the front desk and wouldn't help us at all.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to review the El Tropicano Riverwalk Hotel. I'm truly sorry that you didn't enjoy your stay with us.

As I stated in the previous review, from your partner, we try our best to offer an experience and environment that is distinctly unique to other hotels in the San Antonio Riverwalk area.

I hope you enjoyed the remainder of your stay in our city and would love the opportunity to serve you here at the historic El Tropicano Riverwalk Hotel in the future.

Reviewed May 28, 2011

After reading reviews we were a little leery about staying here, but we were pleasantly surprised. Lobby was beautiful. Service is overwhelming. Jerry is great, love her! Room was pretty and clean and cool. Our view is directly down on the river. It's older on quieter side of river but that works for us. I can see why you might be upset if you thought you were closer to the action but we've done that and it was loud all night. Parking is 18 but we had to pay one other place so that wasn't a surprise. We would stay again. I like it. I'm happy with our choice.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to review the El Tropicano Riverwalk Hotel.

The hotel management could not be any happier to hear that one of our staff members, Gerri, left such a positive impression. We truly appreciate you sharing your kind feedback and would love to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed May 25, 2011

I checked in expecting a nice hotel on the Riverwalk. This was anything but! The hotel charges $18 to park in their parking lot, claiming that all the hotels do. I told the front desk staff that I recently stayed at another hotel on the Riverwalk and was not chrged to park. He proceeded to call the hotel...I guess to call me a liar? Then I saw the room. Small and smelly. It had room for one queen size bed and nothing else. The wall mounted air conidtioner was not the appropriate size for a room that small. It was either freezing cold or hot and stuffy. I called down to the desk and asked for pizza places that delivered to the hotel. They failed to mention they do not allow delivery to the room, so I had to grab my 5 year old out of the bath tub and throw some clothes on him to go down to the desk and pick up my pizza. The next day we left the room at 9am and did not return until after 5. Yet, housekeeping had not cleaned our room. They knocked a few minutes later and asked if I wanted my room cleaned. Ummm, it would have been nice to come back to a clean room after spending all day at Sea world. Also, they are on the RiverWalk, but so far down and out ofthe way it is too far to walk to any restaurants or shops. We ended up driving several blocks and paying to park...again. I definitely would not stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank adc03

Thank you for taking the time to review the historic El Tropicano Riverwalk Hotel. I'm terribly sorry that your stay was less than memorable.

I completely understand your frustration with paying for parking. Unfortunately, the El Tropicano, like most hotels in the downtown Riverwalk area does charge for parking. The hotel's current parking rates of $18.00 per night are, on average; lower than most of the competing hotels in the area.

As well, I'm sorry that you had to gather up your child to come down to the lobby to pickup your pizza delivery. For the security of yourself and other hotel guests we do not allow the outside food delivery companies to access the guest room floors. Our restaurant does provide room service from the hours of 6:30am to 10:00pm, Monday-Sunday. Recently we have added a late night pizza menu to our bar service in order to better service our guest's needs.

In regards to housekeeping service, they do traditionally work from 9:00am to 5:00pm daily. I'm very sorry that your room was not serviced in a timely manner during your stay and have forwarded your comments to our housekeeping management team.

It appears that for multiple reasons we were not able to create a memorable stay for you and I only wish that I was aware of the situation during your stay. Please feel free to contact me should you find yourself in need of accommodations in the future. We would be grateful for the opportunity to better serve you at a future time.