“Hospitality at its best!”

Home2 Suites by Hilton San Antonio Downtown - Riverwalk
Ranked #33 of 354 Hotels in San Antonio
Houston, Texas
“Hospitality at its best!”
Reviewed July 5, 2014 via mobile

From the time we arrived at Home2 Suites we experienced spectacular service. The valet, registration, and especially Ms. Sonja at the breakfast area made our trip exactly what we were looking for-care free. The only complaint which has nothing to do with the hotel is the early morning noise from the street, but that is to be expected being downtown and so close to the Riverwalk. Overall, great stay, ok breakfast, nice rooms, fantastic service.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
gruiz1, General Manager at Home2 Suites by Hilton San Antonio Downtown - Riverwalk, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Thank you so much for your positive feedback!

Have a great day and we look forward to your next stay with us!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Reviewed June 30, 2014 via mobile

I was given a room key to go right up to look at the room before making a decision to check in. I had booked a new Hampton Inn in the San Antonio area that missed their opening date so rerouted to this hotel. The room was spacious, clean, had a mid size refrigerator, counter with sink, microwave, and mini coffee maker with lots of coffee. Our air conditioner stopped working about 9 30 so we called the front desk and then awaited maintance. The room temp. Had become seventy nine degrees so we opened our door to pull cool in from the hall. Within a few minutes Jerry the maintance worker walked by noticed out door open so asked why. When we told him our issue he attempted to fix it but couldn't so made a call downstairs and then gave us a choice to look at a smaller room or stay in our hot room. He also offered to help us move. When I crawled in bed I soon realized the bed didn't smell fresh, We were able to move the next morning to a spacious room as we'd previously checked into

The hotel had many elevator issues but Jerry would quickly "reset" and assure guests it was OK( it would make popping noises when riding in it or other shafts wouldn't work at all)

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Jen S
Thank you so much for your valuable feedback. My apologies for the maintenance issues you had, I am glad that Jerry was able to assist you.

Again, thank you and we hope you come back and see us again soon!
Tallahassee, Florida
Reviewed June 28, 2014 via mobile

This was my second stay at this hotel, the first was in March of this year. The room we were given on this visit was very small, which was a bit of a disappointment to an HONORS Gold member. Also, when I stayed last time we were told to pick a snack and drink as part of our Honors Reward and given wooden chips for each of the remaining days to cash in later. This time we were offered one snack and drink only.

The hotel has this "green" approach to cleaning which seems to really be a way to have less of a housekeeping staff and definitely seems to encourage laziness among them. Both times I stayed, no one came to clean at all on the days we were supposed to have our "deep" clean and it appeared that basically the towels were folded on the rest of the days and that was about it. I make my bed every morning so the housekeeper didn't even have to do that. I don't think the bathroom was cleaned once during my seven day stay because no objects were ever moved in the room.

Breakfast was a disaster because of the poor layout and the fact that some guests had to load up their plates like it was their last meal, holding up the line for everyone else. The woman working the breakfast line acted hassled about everything and you could tell she was there to get a paycheck but seemed to take no pride in her work. The food choices were exactly what they had been months before so I am not sure what "changes" are being made that the manager keeps mentioning. The elevators were broken at different times during our stay which made travel back and forth to the room a challenge.

The valets were very nice and polite and were very prompt at getting our car for us every time we asked. The bed was comfy and the A/C nice and cool. The price for the hotel was very reasonable but I think I will pursue other options on my next visit. Customer service seems to have declined in the short period of time between visits. Perhaps there was a change on management, but i did not get a welcome feeling or believe that my patronage was valued.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
gruiz1, General Manager at Home2 Suites by Hilton San Antonio Downtown - Riverwalk, responded to this review, June 30, 2014
First, allow me to apologize for the inconveniences you experienced while staying in my hotel. This is not standard of the product nor the service that we provide and again, I am sorry.

I can assure you I will work together with my team to ensure a better guest experience for you and all guests in the future.

I hope that you will give us another opportunity in the future.

Again, I apologize. Thank you for sharing your experience with me. Have a great day!
Reviewed June 26, 2014

I am one to not write reviews, but my experience must be shared. First off my stay was business related. I normally stay in Hilton's, but this was my first and ONLY time I ever stayed at a Hilton Home2 Suites. The 1st impression is the location and rooms rates were appetizing for a Hilton... I now know why. I am on the road a lot and like to experience every town that I visit, this is why I stayed on the "Riverwalk" in San Antonio. I checked in at 3:00 a.m. from driving to Phoenix and was exhausted! When I pulled up on the side of the building, valet was not there. Ok, it's 3:00 a.m. I understand, but when I enter the building and the front desk associate wasn't there as well, I started calling around and peeking around the corners to find them... 45 minutes after looking for the staff they finally appeared walking through the front door. I was checked into my room and went about my business. Two days into my into my five day stay, I started having some serious issues. First my AC went out in the middle of the night. After once again looking and waiting for the front desk employee I was transferred into another room. I went to bed and the next morning, mind you I was extremely tired from not being able to sleep the next day, I woke to find that the shower in the new room they transferred me to didn't work!!! I went to the front desk again, were they sent me to a third room. When I entered the room it was dirty. I WAS ASKED TO SHOWER IN A DIRTY ROOM?!?!?! Good luck. I went back to the front desk were I received keys to my NON- A/C room to take a shower, then get ready in my NON- working shower room to get ready away from the heat. After taking two hours to get ready, I went to get my car from Valet, yes you guessed it, they weren't there, WAITED 45 MINUTES!!! I was late to a conference where I was the key note speaker and was bypassed. Needless to say it was not a good stay. This hotel and the below Hostel par Customer Service cost me over $5k. I tried to contact their GM Gina, who was very unconcerned of the matter. After Me trying to contact her for over a week, and receiving excuses after excuses of why she can't touch base with me, I was put in touch with Joes Perez, their Operations Manager, who asked me what I wanted to resolve the matter. I did not want my room compensated, I simply asked for additional Hilton Honors points. I was told I would receive base points and they'd be credited to my account within and no later than 30 days. I called Gina, the GM, after 55 days I noticed my points were NOT credited to my account. I was frustrated and AGAIN she refused to personally talk to me. I had to contact their Corporate Guest Services Dept. for them to handle the situation. In which they compensated me a couple of my nights for free, but not my stay or give me all I wanted, which was my points. 6 MONTHS LATER, I received an e-mail from Hiltons Corporate headquarters asking me about my stay. I disclosed the same information in which I have stated above. I finally received a call from Gina, who was informing me if I happen to be in the area that she'll take care of me and to read her TRIP ADVISOR reviews because I had a once in a life time crappy experience. This also makes me believe that she and her staff write their own reviews... I informed her that I am still awaiting my points I was promised. The integrity of this place is non-existent with me and she wants me to believe this?!?! And thinks this is good Customer Service?!?! I get a follow up e-mail from the Corporate customer service stating..... Greetings Mr. Morton:

We are sorry to hear this issue is unresolved. We recommend you speak to the hotel, as their response to this file is they will not credit any additional points to your account to resolve your concern.

The employee you reference does not work at Home2 Suites by Hilton San Antonio Downtown - Riverwalk. If you have matters that you would like to discuss please contact our Guest Assistance team at 1-888-240-6152.

This Place is a Joke! Pay the extra money to stay at a place that provides genuine customer service, clean rooms, A/C's that work, Valet that is there to Valet your car, shower's that work and doesn't string you along on a matter hoping it will go away. Gina, here is a tip... Do learn to listen to your guest needs and do NOT tell them what they want to hear with no solution. Customer Service 101

Room Tip: Get a room that has a working A/C. Get a room where the shower works.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
5 Thank Ryan M
gruiz1, General Manager at Home2 Suites by Hilton San Antonio Downtown - Riverwalk, responded to this review, June 28, 2014
Mr. Morton-

I apologize once again that you had these issues. I am also sorry that you feel I did not want to talk to you. I have indeed spoken to you at least twice to help resolve your issue and it is apparent that I have been unsuccessful.

I am available to you by phone at 210-354-4356. You are welcome to call me at any time and I will be happy to once again speak to you.

You may also email me at gina.ruiz@baywoodhotels.com and I would gladly share my cell phone number so that I may get these issues resolved.

We at no time write out own reviews, I understand you had a less than pleasant stay but Joe, Guest Assistance, and I have tried to resolve you issues.

My apologies once again. And I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Have a wonderful day.
Las vegas, United States
Reviewed June 22, 2014

great location close to everything in the Alamo city and other attractions and cathedral,river and shopping center downtown location and ing Williams area also the Pioneer flour co and pearl brewery is close by museums and many many other events happening in the city

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Home2 Suites by Hilton

gruiz1, General Manager at Home2 Suites by Hilton San Antonio Downtown - Riverwalk, responded to this review, June 23, 2014
Thank you so much for your positive review. I really appreciate the time you took to fill this out for us.

I hope will you come back to see us again soon!
New Orleans, United States
Reviewed June 21, 2014

What a pleasant place to stay while visiting San Antonio. It is very conveniently located in easy walking distance of the River Walk. The room is very comfortable and features a large microwave oven and a full sized refrigerator/freezer. Also, the drawers in the kitchen area are well stocked with new and clean kitchen tools, such as flatware, bottle opener, ladle, and containers. There is a lovely little salt water indoor swimming pool that I enjoyed daily. There is a very convenient guest laundry, so it is convenient to stay here for an extended time.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends

1 Thank Sandra S
Thank you so much for your positive feedback, it is much appreciated!

We look forward to seeing you in the future!

I hope you have a good night.
Reviewed June 21, 2014

This hotel has great rooms for longer stays. I love the kitchenette to have food for your stay and keep drinks etc. The Breakfast buffet is just OK. Don't expect Hilton level staff experience-as they are just OK. But will go back since I like the design and the rooms so much.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Home2 Suites by Hilton

Thank you so much for your review. I appreciate that you took the time to share your experience with me.

I can assure you I will share this with my staff so that they are able to learn from this and improve. I am quite surprised as you can see from past reviews that our staff is great. I am sorry that they missed their mark this time.

I hope that despite this you will come back and see us again.

Have a great night!