Home2 Suites by Hilton San Antonio Downtown - Riverwalk
Ranked #30 of 355 Hotels in San Antonio
Fort Worth, Texas
“Understaffed”
Reviewed April 14, 2014

The hotel is centrally located and attractive. The rooms are very clean and the kitchen and bathrooms in the room are new, and very nice. The breakfast and the coffee are good. The staff is pleasant. That being said, I would not recommend this hotel. As others have noted, the air conditioning is very loud, and I am a person who is not normally sensitive to this kind of noise. I found the mattress to be lumpy and uncomfortable, and the pillows were so bad that I had a neck ache the next morning. But my biggest complaint is that the front desk is understaffed. During my three days there, there was never more than one person at the front desk, which was ridiculous. This person not only has to deal with on-site clients and their issues and requests, but has to answer the phone as well, which is impossible. I actually felt sorry for the nice lady who was stationed there. As a result, the desk just can't get it all done, and it showed. After my neck ache night, I asked if the hotel had softer pillows, and the clerk said yes, and that someone would bring them to my room during the day. When I returned at the end of the day, there were no pillows. I then called to the front desk (twice, since the first time I tried the phone just rang and rang) and they said housekeeping would bring some. After an hour I wanted to go to bed, still no pillows, so I gave up and slept without them. After I returned home, I thought I might have left my glasses in the room. I called first thing the next morning, the desk clerk said she would check with housekeeping and call me back. Nothing. When I called that afternoon I spoke with someone who said the housekeeping staff was gone for the day, but that he would check with them the next morning and send me an e-mail by 9 am. No e-mail. I had to call a third time the day after, and this time the desk clerk put me on hold and checked. I could overlook a lot of this if they didn't have a big sign posted they are going to get it right for you. They did not get it right for me.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
gruiz1, General Manager at Home2 Suites by Hilton San Antonio Downtown - Riverwalk, responded to this review, April 15, 2014
Thank you so much for your feedback, it is much appreciated.

I apologize that you had these issues while staying here, We do have 2 people always stationed at the front desk for our guests, so I can assure you I will look into what happened to ensure this does not happen again in the future. I am quite surprised that this happened and again, I apologize.

Have a great week and I hope that despite this less than enjoyable stay you will come back and see us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed April 10, 2014 via mobile

Great convenient location walking distance to river walk. Parking fee required. Beautiful exterior and modem interior even though the building is old. Friendly staff. Good size room. Breakfast included and pretty standard. Great value.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your most valued feedback!

We look forward to your next stay with us!
Reviewed April 9, 2014

If a Home2 is in my area of travel I always pick it due to the environmentally friendly aspect of the hotel. The amenicties are always great and the staff is always helpful and courteous making my stay worry free and pleasant.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Home2 Suites by Hilton

gruiz1, General Manager at Home2 Suites by Hilton San Antonio Downtown - Riverwalk, responded to this review, April 10, 2014
Thank you so much for your positive review, we truly appreciate it!

Have a great day and we hope to see you again real soon!
New London, Wisconsin
Reviewed April 2, 2014

Great location, easy to walk to Alamo, River Walk, variety of restaurants (from Subway to fancy places), other tourist attractions. Kitchen facilities were nice to have. Room set up was good for us, a couple with a small child. Breakfast wasn't fancy but decent, average hotel free breakfast. Pool was small but warm. Everyone was so friendly.

Review collected in partnership with Home2 Suites by Hilton

Thank you for your review. It was positive and informative and we appreciate that.

I hope you come back and see us soon!
Denver, CO
Reviewed March 29, 2014

My wife and I stayed with our three tween aged boys for a quick vacation in San Antonio. The staff was very attentive and polite. The room was huge -- two queen beds, a pull-out sofa, work area, kitchen and bathroom. The hotel has one of the smallest pools I've ever seen in a hotel, but our kids still had fun swimming in it. Free breakfast was the usual stuff, but fit the bill. One tip--if you have a car, they have valet parking for about $24/day and you can come and go. However, the lot right across the street is $9 every 24 hours, so you can save some money if you park there.

1 Thank Otteaux
Thank you so much for your positive review! We really appreciate your feedback and look forward to having you and your family here again in the future.

Have a wonderful day and again, thank you,
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Reviewed March 27, 2014

The smaller size of this hotel almost felt like we were renting a condo rather than staying in an actual hotel, which was awesome! Having the kitchen in the room was so convenient. Lots of outlets for everyone to plug in their electronics. Breakfast was adequate considering that it was free - who can complain about that? Great location, close to riverwalk, and right across from Majestic Theatre. It was so nice to simply cross the street to get to our show. Downside - the A/C was very loud. Thankfully the nights were cool so we could turn it down and not listen to it all night. Also, the bathroom floor was a bit nasty - a little bit of grout cleaner would do wonders for the overall look and feel of cleanliness for the bathroom.

Room Tip: Ask for higher floor if the street noise bothers you.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your feedback and suggestions! We truly appreciate them.

Have a wonderful day and hope to see you again in the future!
Morrison, Colorado
Reviewed March 27, 2014 via mobile

I was a little nervous after reading a few of the bad reviews, however the good out weighed the bad. I did find a few hairs on the sheets because I was being a freak. The staff was apologetic and changed the immediately. Staff was very kind and helpful. Breakfast had some healthy options. Rooms are narrow, but clean. Nice workout facility with TV on each piece of equipment. Pool was small, but kids liked it, especially since it rained a lot. Location is perfect. The Majestic Theatre is right across the street and a lovely place to see a show.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
I am so glad you chose to stay with us after reading the few negative reviews we have. We pride ourselves on a clean room with excellent service which is why we rank #34 out of #347 hotels in our area! I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to your next stay with us!

Again, thank you for your most valued review, have a wonderful day!