“Modern interior in hotel with early 20th century exterior look”

Home2 Suites by Hilton San Antonio Downtown - Riverwalk
Ranked #35 of 357 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed December 25, 2012

Enjoyed the stay in this hotel. The double room suites were very spacious and had a very modern and contemporary look. And most importantly, it is right on the river walk. So cannot beat the location. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,130)

Reviewed December 23, 2012

My wife and I wanted to take a short trip to San Antonio to escape somewhere warmer during Thanksgiving. We're both around 30 and like to be very active during vacations. This hotel served as a great base for us during our trip.

Location
We felt that the location was really nice. We had to do a couple circles on the way in but I don't feel like the hotel was hard to find. We pulled up to the valet, but the attendant gave us a really nice tip. He directed us to the parking ramp across Houston St. from the hotel. The ramp was $9 a day versus the $20+ for valet. A great tip! It was easy to walk to lots of locations: Riverwalk, Alamo, theatres and the market square.

Amenities
Had many of the expected amenities of an extended stay hotel. Free wifi, business center, pool and exercise center. The pool seemed a bit small, but we didn't use it. Breakfast was ok, not a ton of options, but they had these little breakfast pizza things that were pretty good. One of the biggest annoyances of our stay was a lady in the lobby that was posted by the front desk every morning. At first we thought that she was a concierge, but after a while we figured out she was a travel agent of sorts not affiliated with Hilton. While eating breakfast she kept insisting that we come see her and kept asking us if we had made plans for the day. I tend to plan a lot ahead of time, so we didn't really need any help. It would just suggest that the hotel ask her to leave or at least not be so bothersome in the morning during breakfast.

Room
We found the rooms very pleasant and modern. We enjoyed crashing there in the evening and using the fridge and available dishes for some leftovers. The room we were in only had a shower, but that was just fine with us. We were fairly high up so didn't have too much street noise, but better insulated windows might have helped. Also if you're not used to extended stays they don't fully clean the room, just tidy up.

All in all we'd stay again. The rate was overall decent (we used some points for the stay) compared to other hotels in the area.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 13, 2012

This hotel is relatively inexpensive, particularly for properties downtown and close to the Riverwalk. That factor, plus the good valet service, plus the charm of a restored early-20th century office building, are all pluses.

But there are negatives. Perhaps because of the lower cost, the place was overrun by families with kids. Lots of kids. Add to that the fact that only one of the two guest elevators appeared to be working during our stay, and getting up and down was a trial at times.

Because this is a restored building, the lobby was an odd, narrow space. But the front desk people were helpful enough.

"Breakfast" was included, but it wasn't particularly inviting. Even less inviting were a couple of guests wandering around the breakfast area barefoot. That definitely added to the yuck factor.

Our room was large, and the 12th floor view was very pleasant. But the ventilation system was an adventure. The exhaust fan in the bathroom ran continuously. I asked the front desk about it, and they said it was a conscious design factor because the building was a restoration. (Note that the windows are sealed, so they can't be opened for fresh air. That's probably to prevent guests from flinging themselves out the window because of all the kids running around the place.) But the air conditioning was the real problem. I can say without hesitation that it was the noisiest A/C I'd ever experienced. It sounded like the rear end of a Boeing 767.

I'll recommend the place, but with qualifications.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 12, 2012

This Hilton concept is interesting. There is a good selection of water, soft drinks, snacks near the check-in desk available for guests to buy. The hotel itself seems to be focused on "green" cleaning, lighting, HVAC, etc. We reserved a room for a family of (4), but the room layout was awkward . . . there was a brief entry and kitchenette and rather large "office," but the sleeping area was tiny and that's were the pullout sofa and bed was located. This would have been perfect for a business traveler, but the layout was not good for (4) people. The bathroom was SPARSE and the giant soap dispenser for shower gel was empty. I just got the impression that very little goes on in the way of actual cleaning and/or attention to detail, but with that said, the hotel is in a very convenient spot and the price point was good.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 4, 2012

I've stayed in scores of Hampton Inns and Homewood Suites and have never written any reviews. Overall they are good and consistent in quality. No surprises.This was my first stay at a Home2, however, and I was struck by the concept. The one in downtown San Antonio is in a very old converted office building or hotel. With 10 foot ceilings it makes the spacious rooms seem humongous. What really strikes you, however, is how "hip" the place tries to be. From the color scheme to the LEEDS environmental rating, Home2 definitely aims to appeal to the young adult traveler. While Homewood Suites have that downhome country look, Home2 is modern and sophistcated. Everything was comfy and quiet at a very good price. The location is great, a five minute walk to the Riverwalk with a CVS across the street and a friendly Palm Restaurant right next door. I would definitely give this or another Home2 another try. Good job, Hilton.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 1, 2012

Since the conference hotel was booked, I had to find someplace close to the conference and this was perfect. Not only was it close to the conference, it was also very close to restaurants, the Riverwalk and other conveniences. The room was spacious with a nice kitchenette. My room ended in an 11 and had a very unusual layout. It is long and narrow with the kitchenette and bathroom at one end and bedroom at the other. The bed was very comfortable. A free continental breakfast is offered each day. (Remember continental is not a full breakfast.) Staff was very friendly, Some little things keep me from giving this hotel a higher rating. First, housekeeping is not the best. IOn the first day, I had some large towels and hand towels but no washcloths. On the second day, I had washcloths but the used towels were rerolled and not left on the towel bar. The two dishes I used were washed but never put away during my entire stay. The floors were not well vacuumed. The other issue was the lighting. A light at the door illuminates the kitchenette but there are no other switches or overhead lights. When coming in at night, you have to grope around for the light on the night stand or desk. Overall I might stay here again (not in a room ending in 11 or 03) but it is not my favorite SA hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that doesn't end in 03 or 11 on the 3rd floor and above.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Travelintammy52
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Suites are a good size, with very interesting use of space. I had a room on the 7th floor, and in my suite the bathroom was at the end of the suite. Kitchens are a decent size, but if you want to do any 'cooking', I had to request a portable cooktop. Room was quiet and had lots of windows to let in natural sunlight. Hotel is close to major attractions and riverwalk.

I used the fitness center - pretty small and can fill up quickly at peak hours. I did not have a chance to eat breakfast there.

Room Tip: Elevator took a long time to reach the 7th floor. I had to wait over 5 minutes once evening. Plan...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business