“I WILL STAY AGAIN!”

Ranked #32 of 354 Hotels in San Antonio
Kaysville, Utah
“I WILL STAY AGAIN!”
Reviewed November 14, 2011

I stayed here November 9-13, 2011. Solo female traveler on business with a personal stay over the weekend. I travel to San Antonio approximately two times a year on business. I have stayed at other hotels that are directly on the Riverwalk and when I decided to try the Home2 Suites, I was a little concerned about it not be right on the Riverwalk. However, after my recent stay, I found that it is VERY close to the Riverwalk, so if you are concerned about that – don’t be!

Now, a little about the property itself.

Valet: I don’t usually Valet, but I am not opposed to it. All major cities have some type of parking and it’s usually limited, so it’s expected to have to pay for it. Here Valet is $23 (+ $1.90 tax). The tax on the Valet was odd I thought… but whatever. So if you add tip on that it’s almost $30 to Valet…. One reviewer said you could park across the street, I was not aware of that, but would definitely do it next time. One big concern for me is that you have nowhere to pull off the street to exit and unload your car. You just pull up and stop, then the cars behind you have to notice that you’ve stopped and pull around you. I was always afraid a car was going to hit me from behind… Another day the front desk forgot to call for my car and that bugged me a little - but it was not the Valet's fault. Also, always having to call the Valet when you forget something in your car (i.e. sunglasses, chargers, etc) was a little inconvenient.

Hotel: Reception area, breakfast, and check in area was nice. Very clean, not cluttered. I stayed in a suite with a king size bed. Everything was new and the smell was wonderful, no old hotel musty smell here! Very high ceiling over the bed area - very open. Large fridge, sink, dishwasher, dishes, cups, utensils… Bathroom, nice size, no tub, nice shower. Loved the towels – plenty of them. Soap/shampoo in dispensers in the shower, which didn’t bother me, I always bring my own anyway. The bed/bedding was VERY nice. Very very comfy… this alone would sway me to stay here… the bed is NUMBER ONE for me. My one and only complaint about the suite is the lighting. Once the sun went down, there was very little lighting, especially over the desk area. There is a desk light, but it is pretty low and doesn’t cast much light over the desk to actually work. I would suggest mounting a florescent light under the cabinet. I know that’s minor, but for people who travel on business, it was an inconvenience for me. One more thing here... like others have said, the AC unit is very loud. I heard it kick on all night long. Not sure who you contracted to do your heating/cooling, but it's pretty noisy. I didn't complain since I travel a lot, I always have my trusty earplugs.

Laundry: I did try to use the laundry one night, but the desk was out of detergent (they offered to have the Valet guys run to get some). I checked the next day and they had some, so I washed one small load. Laundry room was clean, two washers/two dryers, only .50 so it was cheap. Nice service to have access to.

Complaints (if you can call them that): The elevator is small… or seemed small. I’m a little claustrophobic, so they really seemed small to me. I would recommend adding some mirrors to make it appear more open.

My biggest complaint is the “green” bags that are hanging in the room are to be left in the room. I had some large gifts that would not fit in my suit case, so I used the reusable shopping bag. I was run down after checking out and told I would be charged for it. He said it would be $20. I said fine, since I already had it packed. However, it ended up being $24.90. My complaint is this… they should hang a tag on it stating that there will be a charge for it ($23 + $1.90 tax). I looked in their tabletop booklet and saw nothing regarding a charge for it. I assumed it was a complimentary laundry/shopping bag… NOT. Should’ve called the front desk I suppose… $25 for a shopping bag – lessen learned.

Overall: I only looked into the pool/exercise area, so I cannot really comment there. The pool is small, but sufficient. I would’ve used the hot tub, had I brought my suit. The hotel is very clean and the staff is very attentive. The rooms are very clean, spacious, limited lighting. Loved the kitchenette, so you can have your refreshments. Riverwalk, very close, safe walk. Breakfast, I never came down to try it since I had yogurt & fruit in my room. It looked like Breads, Oatmeal, some little sandwich things you cook in an oven, plus juices/coffee.

You can tell employees are proud of the new property, very friendly, very helpful – keep it up – you did a great job!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank jannster

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Houston, Texas
Reviewed November 14, 2011

We stayed here for the Rock n Roll 1/2 Marathon. It is a quick 2 block walk to the riverwalk so major plus with location. The room was nicely accommodated with kitchen items, microwave, full sized frig/freezer, and even a dishwasher. The room itself is one large L shaped room with a sitting and desk area as well as the bed area. The hotel is more eco friendly. Instead of actual shower shampoo bottles, etc, they have a wall mounted one, which I am not a huge fan of, but it saves resources.
They have a complimentary breakfast, which is similar to most with the continental theme, but they had some nice touches with several different yogurt options (including greek yogurt), bagels, eggs, cereal, etc.
Parking is only available in the hotel via valet for $23. However, there is a parking garage right across the street that was very convenient and only $9 overnight.
We returned the hotel a little after noon (check out is at noon) so we inquired about a late checkout in order to shower after the race. The hotel was very accommodating and told us to take our time and shower and there would be no additional charge. Fantastic!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed November 13, 2011

This was my first visit to San Antonio, and I'm glad I booked the home2suites. The hotel is very clean, and the location is great. It is 2 min to riverwalk and 10 min to Alamo. We had a problem with the AC in our room it was extremely noisy, but the staff sent someone up to check. They changed our room with no problems. The staff was extremely kind,always greeting my 3 girls and my wife with a smile. They also loved to talk and ask how our day was going. The valet parking is a little pricey, but that is offset with the price of the room. The breakfast was limited,but with a suite you can buy stuff for the week. If your looking for a great hotel in San Antonio, this is it.

• Stayed November 2011
Ohio
Reviewed November 10, 2011

I stayed here for three nights on the first week in November 2011. I had also booked for 7500 points a couple of months ago, but they weren't open when I came. So they took great care of me. I am a Hilton Diamond and I am not sure what benefits you would get at a Home2Suites, but it didn't seem to matter on this trip to me. The other poster has explained the hotel nicely. It is very convienent to the Riverwalk, Alamo, tourist trap stuff, and the RiverCenter Mall and IMAX. I thought the rooms were very nice and well laid out for good use. I enjoyed the breakfast, but agree that the times need to be extended for the leisure traveler. I did not have the same problem as the other poster with items running out, but I would agree with them that the breakfast should be fully stocked until 9am and at least 10am on weekends. This hotel seems to be around the $125 mark and I think that is an excellent value for what you get. Valet parking ($20+)is a little pricey, but I parked in the garage across the street for 9.00 a day. I met the manager and some of the staff and they were very pleasant and seemed to really want to satisfy. One little extra that was nice, and maybe an accident, was that they left the juice machine on in the breakfast are while I was there. It was nice to grab something to drink on the way to the room for the evening. Don't hesitate to stay here.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Houston
Reviewed October 17, 2011

We stayed one night at the brand-new Home2 Suites in San Antonio. I should say the the building is actually an historic old bank building, but the interior is totally refurbished. We had booked two rooms using our Hilton Honors points (7500 points per room per night--a special offer, which we thought was quite a deal for pricey San Antonio). The hotel is conveniently located only 2 blocks off of the Riverwalk and 4 blocks from the Alamo.

We found our rooms to be spacious with lots of great amenities and the decor thoroughly modernized in a minimalistic way, while still preserving some of the original features of the old building, such as original windows and high ceilings. Our king bed was very comfortable, with super-soft sheets and a duvet instead of the usual blanket or comforter. The mattress on the sofa bed was also quite comfortable--huge steps above the lumpy mattress one usually encounters at suite hotels. In fact, it actually had a pillow-top, same as the king bed. A curtain separates the living area from the bedroom area at night. Other amenities included a 42-inch wall-mounted flat screen TV, clock radio with ipod docking station, ironing board/iron, dishwasher, 3/4-sized refrigerator, large microwave, toaster, silverware and dinnerware, coffee maker, sink with sprayer faucet in the kitchenette, tons of storage space with closet and large drawers in both the bedroom and bathroom, a rolling ottoman, large pull-out desk with ergonomic chair and desk light and a large shower stall in the bathroom area (no bath tub). Eco-friendly amenities included energy-saving light bulbs, Energy Star appliances and a saline pool (which we did not use--it looked nice and clean but very small). There is also a fitness room for use by guests and free wifi access.

The room itself was very clean except for the floor of the bathroom, which appeared to be made of some sort of laminate that showed dirt and smudges quite easily. Elevators were all in good working order and quickly transported us to and from our 9th floor rooms. The lobby area was the same mix of modern decor with vintage features such as the high ornate ceilings and huge windows that let in lots of light. All personnel we encountered were friendly, professional and helpful.

The one glaring negative is the complimentary breakfast. Their first mistake, I believe, is in offering it 6-9 a.m. seven days a week. I think that time frame probably should be changed to 7-10 a.m. on the weekends to account for the leisure travelers that will frequent the hotel. The second problem was the availability of the food offered. I understood ahead of time that the breakfast selections would be limited--cereal with a variety of toppings, yogurt, bagels, english muffins, bread for toast, fruit, a heat-able small breakfast sandwich and various morning beverages. However, we came down at 8:40 and found every offering to be severely depleted or non-existent. The cereal dispensers were empty, the yogurt was gone, there was one bagel, one english muffin and two breakfast sandwiches left. There was only decaffeinated coffee and the orange juice was strangely watered down--I'm guessing the dispenser ran of the concentrate. There was strawberry-kiwi water that was quite tasty. When I asked the front desk about refilling some of the offerings, such as the cereal, he looked at his watch and commented on it being close to the end of the breakfast period. My feeling is that if you are going to offer a complimentary continental breakfast during a certain time-frame, you have an obligation to ensure that there is an adequate supply until the end of that time-frame. Eventually he did get a lady to refill a couple of the cereal options and to put out a few more breakfast sandwiches and regular coffee, but she didn't seem too happy to be doing so. There were many guests still coming down to breakfast right up until 9 a.m. and none were too happy with the situation.

Overall, the only reason I didn't give Home2 Suites five stars was because of the breakfast situation. I think this is a bug that has to be worked out as it has the potential for leaving a very negative impression, especially if it happens right before guests check out and leave. One other suggestion is that some of the window exteriors were dirty and need a good cleaning. But otherwise I can highly recommend the Home2 Suites as a great place to stay in downtown San Antonio.

Room Tip: Choose rooms on the top floors for better views of the surrounding downtown area.