“Good value to stay downtown”

SpringHill Suites San Antonio Downtown/Alamo Plaza
Ranked #44 of 355 Hotels in San Antonio
“Good value to stay downtown”
Reviewed October 28, 2013 via mobile

Good sized room for two adults and two kids. Good breakfast choices. Hotel (and room) clean and tidy. Easy walking distance of the Alamo and Riverwalk. Please note valet parking only at an extra $22 per night!

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Mankato, Minnesota
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Had a great stay here. Staff was very attentive and friendly. Rooms were clean and spacious. There was a large variety of options to choose from for breakfast. Location is convenient; it's a few blocks to the Alamo and then a few more to the Riverwalk, but definitely manageable. Will stay again if I'm ever in San Antonio again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
dallas
Reviewed October 18, 2013

If you travel with children, teens, or large groups, you know that there are a few key things that are necessary for survival. You need space, food, and easy access to your destination. I have great things to say about the hotel, but in all fairness, I must give the good and the bad. As one would imagine, valet parking is a bit pricey. You do have the option of metered parking if available, but good luck with that. (This is pretty standard for most-if not all of the hotels in the area.) We did have to wait quite a while for valet service, both at check in and at check out. There was a large group in the hotel, so I am hopeful that this may have just been an exception to the rule. The front desk staff was very pleasant. The lobby was clean and modern. They had fresh water with cucumber, if I remember correctly. Also, there was an area where you could purchase everything from toiletries to a bottle of wine. Anything I felt about having to wait disappeared when I went inside. One of the rooms was handicapped accessible. It was very spacious, clean, and pretty darned cute! The second room shared the same design, but was smaller. I do appreciate the half-wall separation between the sleeping area and the living area. The bathroom was small, so be prepared to take turns in the mirror! The pool area was nice as well. My favorite part of my hotel experience was BREAKFAST! OMG...their selection was awesome! They had pancakes,eggs, sausage (Polish), oatmeal (and toppings inc.granola),Greek yogurt, fruit donuts, etc. Our group included several young boys, so it was PERFECT! They were able fill up on more than a traditional continental breakfast. I was very impressed. The staff kept everything well-stocked. so there was no wait. The location was also good. We were just around the corner from the River Center Mall. Overall, I definitely recommend this hotel to any families looking to stretch their buck and still get the same bang.

• Stayed October 2013
Austin
Reviewed October 9, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights in October for a conference at the Convention Center. It was an ideal location to walk to the convention center and to get to other attractions. We took a bus to eat at MiTierra Restaurant and then a bus driver graciously dropped us off in front of our hotel, even though its not a stop.

The rooms were large and the bathroom did not have the sink in with the tub, which was great, since we had 4 women trying to get ready at the same time. My only complaint is that there was no full-length mirror in the room. The couch was very comfortable and large and one of the women slept on it and liked it. It was big enough for 2 kids (8 and under) to sleep on. The room had a microwave, refrigerator and a desk/sitting area.

The breakfast was okay. Typical continental breakfast fare. No waffle maker, but they had pancakes (frozen type). The water in the lobby was great! They had it mixed with lemon slice and mint and it was very refreshing.

It is valet-only at this hotel, so it took awhile to get our cars several times. They seemed to only have 1 valet working most of the time. I definitely hope they add to their valet staff.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 5, 2013

The staff is excellent, and the front desk employees were highly professional and extremely friendly. Amazing breakfast, clean rooms and no pretentiousness. You just can't go wrong with this hotel. It will be a very pleasant and comfortable stay.

• Stayed September 2013
Eliot, Maine
Reviewed September 15, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for business and was here for 2 weeks. Overall I find this to be the worst Springhill Suites that I've stayed at. I stay at Marriot Hotels often and I'm a big fan of Springhill Suites chains but this one was by far the worst.
My rating is based on Marriot style hotels and not all hotels in general. This hotel is better than a Motel 8 for example but was one of the worst for a Marriot style hotel.
1. The Internet is non-existent. Download speeds are less than 50kps - for me its not acceptable and this is the main reason I would not stay at this hotel again.
2. Breakfast is cooked poorly. Eggs are drenched in water and the fruit looks old. Other portions of the breakfast were fine. The breakfast area is too small for the crowds as well. The hotel knows this - they have a note telling people when to come down. Why can't they just create a bigger area for breakfast? Twice I didn't eat because the line was so long. This was offseason as well.
3. There are some minor reasons as well - I wasn't happy with some staff members although the majority were good and I had some issues with housekeeping which caused me to put out the Do not Disturb sign but none of these issues on there own would cause me to write this poor review.

I've stayed in San Antonio multiple times and I feel there are better hotels than this. If you are staying for tourist reasons there are a number of hotels that are cheaper and just as close to all the attractions. If you are staying for business reasons every other hotel I've stayed at, in the area, was better than this.

I've had really good experiences with Springhill Suites in the past. I feel they are a good chain. This one is not even close to their standard though.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Ohio
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Brand new very upscale interior. Nice size rooms. They treat Gold members well!. One pool used by both Springhill & Fairfeild attached tegether. Alamo is only 2 blocks away. River walk is about 4 blocks away. $21 valetparking. May be able to park acroos the street at lower prices? Rooms are clean. Marriott staff was very freindly and daytime staff knowlegeable and very helpful. Free breakfast and nice upscale breakfast area.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bjorn5555
epenasales, Director of Sales at SpringHill Suites San Antonio Downtown/Alamo Plaza, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on TripAdvisor. We appreciate your positive comments and we look forward to having you stay with us again soon on your next trip to San Antonio!