“Really Big Rooms and Great Location”

SpringHill Suites San Antonio Downtown/Alamo Plaza
Ranked #44 of 354 Hotels in San Antonio
Austin
“Really Big Rooms and Great Location”
Reviewed October 9, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights in October for a conference at the Convention Center. It was an ideal location to walk to the convention center and to get to other attractions. We took a bus to eat at MiTierra Restaurant and then a bus driver graciously dropped us off in front of our hotel, even though its not a stop.

The rooms were large and the bathroom did not have the sink in with the tub, which was great, since we had 4 women trying to get ready at the same time. My only complaint is that there was no full-length mirror in the room. The couch was very comfortable and large and one of the women slept on it and liked it. It was big enough for 2 kids (8 and under) to sleep on. The room had a microwave, refrigerator and a desk/sitting area.

The breakfast was okay. Typical continental breakfast fare. No waffle maker, but they had pancakes (frozen type). The water in the lobby was great! They had it mixed with lemon slice and mint and it was very refreshing.

It is valet-only at this hotel, so it took awhile to get our cars several times. They seemed to only have 1 valet working most of the time. I definitely hope they add to their valet staff.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Reviewed October 5, 2013

The staff is excellent, and the front desk employees were highly professional and extremely friendly. Amazing breakfast, clean rooms and no pretentiousness. You just can't go wrong with this hotel. It will be a very pleasant and comfortable stay.

• Stayed September 2013
Eliot, Maine
Reviewed September 15, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for business and was here for 2 weeks. Overall I find this to be the worst Springhill Suites that I've stayed at. I stay at Marriot Hotels often and I'm a big fan of Springhill Suites chains but this one was by far the worst.
My rating is based on Marriot style hotels and not all hotels in general. This hotel is better than a Motel 8 for example but was one of the worst for a Marriot style hotel.
1. The Internet is non-existent. Download speeds are less than 50kps - for me its not acceptable and this is the main reason I would not stay at this hotel again.
2. Breakfast is cooked poorly. Eggs are drenched in water and the fruit looks old. Other portions of the breakfast were fine. The breakfast area is too small for the crowds as well. The hotel knows this - they have a note telling people when to come down. Why can't they just create a bigger area for breakfast? Twice I didn't eat because the line was so long. This was offseason as well.
3. There are some minor reasons as well - I wasn't happy with some staff members although the majority were good and I had some issues with housekeeping which caused me to put out the Do not Disturb sign but none of these issues on there own would cause me to write this poor review.

I've stayed in San Antonio multiple times and I feel there are better hotels than this. If you are staying for tourist reasons there are a number of hotels that are cheaper and just as close to all the attractions. If you are staying for business reasons every other hotel I've stayed at, in the area, was better than this.

I've had really good experiences with Springhill Suites in the past. I feel they are a good chain. This one is not even close to their standard though.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Ohio
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Brand new very upscale interior. Nice size rooms. They treat Gold members well!. One pool used by both Springhill & Fairfeild attached tegether. Alamo is only 2 blocks away. River walk is about 4 blocks away. $21 valetparking. May be able to park acroos the street at lower prices? Rooms are clean. Marriott staff was very freindly and daytime staff knowlegeable and very helpful. Free breakfast and nice upscale breakfast area.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bjorn5555
epenasales, Director of Sales at SpringHill Suites San Antonio Downtown/Alamo Plaza, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on TripAdvisor. We appreciate your positive comments and we look forward to having you stay with us again soon on your next trip to San Antonio!
Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 7 days and appreciated the proximity to all the downtown attractions. The beds were incredibly comfortable and the room was nice. We had one that faced out over the parking lot and could see the Alamo. *Parking is $21 a day! We took 2 overnight trips elsewhere in Texas and were still charged the fee although we weren't there.* I found a great market that delivered to the hotel - Delivery Market. Check them out, they deliver sandwiches, salads, sliced meat, cheeses, fresh fruit, milk, and more! All in all I had a great stay at the Springhill Suites

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank SEWade
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed September 4, 2013

What else can you ask for? All these things combined made a perfect ending to our vacation of travel. The hotel is spitting distance from the Alamo, and only a block or two from the Riverwalk. The people were wonderful. Always helpful and not just asking how to assist us, but actually offering specific assistance without being asked. The food was always fresh and well laid out. The room was just enormous and very clean. The only complaint we had was that we always had to request a fourth towel. Go figure. Anyway..

Truly a wonderful place to stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank pichinco
Conroe, Texas
Reviewed August 28, 2013

I wasn't too thrilled with the initial impression in the lobby waiting to check-in. However the room, staff, breakfast, location where all nice. I stayed on business, but turned it into a personal night bringing my wife on the trip. I will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business