“try the quiche!”

Cuisines: Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I called for reservations just in case. We were seated a little late, but the food was worth the wait. Good coffee and some very nice unique menu selections.

1  Thank Tammy B

Reviewed May 11, 2013

Had lunch here with a group of about 10 recently, and as the weather was pleasant, we dined outside, under the white tent. While we perused the menu and visited, we were served some complimentary homemade bread accompanied by a strawberry or raspberry spread. Very nice and not too sweet. Lots of yummy sounding choices on the menu. I ended up with the Eggplant Parmesan with a side of pasta. My entree was preceded by a salad (choice of spinach salad, Caesar or garden salad ~ how nice they offer you a choice) with a homemade dressing. I tried the spinach salad, which was wonderful and practically enough for lunch by itself. The eggplant parm was good, with a nice crisp breading and was freshly prepared. Would have liked more cheese on it. Pasta needed more sauce, which was brought upon request. Everyone in our large group was equally pleased with their meals. I would recommend eating here. When you are done with lunch, take a stroll to the adjacent botanical gardens for a wonderful finish to an afternoon.

1  Thank MuffetB
Reviewed April 12, 2013

This is my first review. I had to write about Anne Marie's Carriage House restaurant after my daughter and son-in-law took me there while I was visiting them in San Antonio. I had the Chef's Special and it was truly Special. It was called Mama's Biscuit & Gravy, with 2 poached eggs, bacon and fruit. Sounds simple enough. It came out piled high, with the big homemade biscuit on the bottom, poached eggs on top of that, strips of bacon across the eggs and gravy on the top. But this wasn't just any southern milk gravy, it was to die for. It had a flavor that had my daughter and son-in-law digging into my brunch too. It was so delicious we went back the next morning to discover they were not serving Mama's Biscuit & Gravy. I had the Eggs Benedict and that's another story, but also Very Delicious. Thank you Anne Marie's!

1  Thank Cynthia C
Reviewed December 20, 2012

Anne Marie's Carriage House Bistro is located in the San Antonio Botanical Gardens in San Antonio, TX. It's a little off the beaten path but definitely worth the trip. After two hours of strolling around the gorgeous gardens, we stopped in to have some lunch and were very impressed with the food and service. We started with homemade bread served with a yummy raspberry butter, and finished with great salad and pasta, but the best part was the Soup of the Day--I think they called it Holiday Feast. Think Thanksgiving in a bowl: turkey, stuffing, cranberries--delicious!

1  Thank dobsonaxx
Reviewed December 13, 2012

Long time meeting location for bridge clubs, ladies auxiliaries, afternoon tea societies and other sundry blue hair assemblages. A bit of a novel location with interesting architecture. Also interesting is to contemplate those halcyon times when horse and carriage were the central mode of transportation, and that your table may have been located in the very spot where old Bessie was harnessed up for a Sunday buggy ride.

Weekends may find the place fairly crowded especially when the weather is good for long strolls through the adjacent botanical garden . . . ideal for a pre- or post-repast engagement to view the gorgeous natural and conservatory grown exhibits of flowers and greenery. Interesting bric-a-brac in the anteroom store greets you as you walk in. The restaurant is to the left. Browse the store as you wait for your table.

The various eclectic menu offerings are chef prepared and done well for the most part so don't be afraid to try something other than your usual. The seating is close inside as other reviewers have indicated but not uncomfortably so once you are settled.

The holidays find the Carriage House catering calendar packed with weddings, banquets, and private / office parties. Pardon the paranomasia, but The Carriage House is a Funston Place to eat . . . . and I have seen real men eating quiche here too!

1  Thank OmniEpicurean