“Not worth the money!”

Palmer Course at La Cantera
More attraction details
Owner description: Designed by Arnold Palmer, this public 18-hole championship course, at Par-71 and 6,926 yards, is set dramatically over 250 acres in the Texas Hill Country.
Reviewed April 27, 2014

Not a great experience. If you play in the morning, eat before you go. If you are lucky enough to even find someone to take your order, food sucks. Staff has a kind of a 'stiff' attitude. I went a couple hours early to work on my swing since coming off the winter, i have not played much. I must have been asked 10 times what my name and tee time was, as if i was some intruder or something.

The range is nice but actually had to wait to hit balls because it was full. They seem to only utilize half of the range area. There is a decent chipping area off to the side. The practice putting green is all the way by the first tee and literally has 3 holes on it. Had to wait to practice putting as well.

As far as the course goes, it was ok. To many blind tee shots for my liking. The greens were pretty bad and some holes had frayed edges that were pretty rough. It is a nice area with scenic views. The golf carts are nice and have GPS display so you can see the group ahead of you on screen, as well as a built in range finder.

Overall, it's just an ok course that is built on very desirable and scenic land.

3  Thank EverythingIsInUse
"bunker"
"texas"
in 11 reviews

Reviewed April 23, 2014

Conditions of the greens were horrible. Looked like the pin positions had not been changed for a week, and as a result, bare ground and serious fraying at the holes. Staff was not too concerned about this.
Supposed to be a premier course. Great layout and fairway conditions, but would not play this course again. Expensive golf for San Antonio.

Reviewed April 21, 2014

This course has it all from the slopes, elevation changes, blind tee shots and amazing views. The service is top notch from the bag drop, clubhouse, starter and cart girl. I played this course with my teenage son and it was a great experience for us both. After checking in the clubhouse we made our way to the practice range and were greeted with turkeys walking along the side. The range has ample space as there were 6-8 of us out there and there is also a bunker area, chipping area and practice green on the side.

When it was time to tee off the starter came and got us and we drove to the first hole. He did a great job making us feel at ease about the course and sent us on our way and the fun began. This course is absolutely beautiful and well maintained. The fairways were wide and the greens are ample size. All in all it sounds easy, but it's far from that. I read reviews where others say the greens were fast but on this day they were slow and difficult to read and have a lot of break in them.

I have added some pictures hoping you can see the elevation changes and approaches to the greens. This was a great course to play and I look forward to the day I can play it again.

Reviewed April 21, 2014

The service when you arrive is outstanding. Your name on cart, they put your clubs in the cart for you, park your vehicle just everything to make your visit outstanding. Can't wait to go back.