“Atmosphere”
Review of Esquire Tavern

Esquire Tavern
Reserve with OpenTable
Esquire Tavern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #26 of 4,645 Restaurants in San Antonio
Cuisines: Gastropub, Brew Pub
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: St. Mary
Transit: Conveniently located in downtown on the San Antonio River, The Esquire Tavern is within walking distance from most major hotels. In addition, The Esquire is serviced by the Yellow Line Downtown Trolley conveniently located at the corner of Commerce and St. Mary’s fifty feet from our front door.
Description: One of the Top 25 Bars in America, The Esquire Tavern opened in 1933 to celebrate the end of Prohibition - a beloved San Antonio watering hole ever since. When it comes to choosing the best Riverwalk bars to spend your time, atmosphere certainly matters. Our legendary establishment is the quintessential downtown bar: dark, cool, redolent with history, and serving cold beer, swanky cocktails, and excellent food. Don't believe us? Step right up and sink your teeth into some handmade SA comfort food including Organic Sirloin Burgers, Crispy Chile Salted Fries, Big Red Empanadas, and Fried Apple Pie with Bourbon Carmel Sauce made from scratch! Now that you trust us a bit more....feel free to stay a while and enjoy hand crafted cocktails using the best of spirits and freshest of juices from the Margarita to the Moscow Mule. Beer lovers, indulge with over 10 Texas/regional brews on tap and enjoy the ice cold bottled beers you love.
Midlothian, TX
“Atmosphere”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

My husband and I stopped in here while on a weekend trip to San Antonio...we liked the atmosphere (was a bit too dark), but felt like an English pub. We only ordered drinks and sat at the bar. They had a unique drink list. I ordered a French 75, which was decent but not nearly as good as ones I've had in New Orleans or Austin. It's rare to see this drink on the cocktail list so I get it whenever I see it. Service was also decent but not overwhelming.

• Visited August 2013

“Part of old San Antonio”
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Very crowded and long wait for table at dinner. Food was okay. My wife had the grilled pimento cheese & bacon - heavy but tasty. The bacon was especially tasty! A fun place for an evening out. More popular than good, but I'm still glad we went.

• Visited June 2013
Columbus, Indiana
“Fun experience and a nice change from the rest of the Riverwalk!”
Reviewed August 10, 2013

My husband and I stopped here for a rather late dinner on a Saturday night. It has a very unique personality with a long wood bar, low lights, ceiling fans and plenty of space between tables. Our server, Hillary, was top notch! She made great recommendations and brought me two beers to try after I asked for her advice on a local beer offering for a Moosehead drinker; She was right on, as I liked both her choices, and then she topped that by making excellent dinner suggestions when I asked her for something delicious, but not spicy. She was friendly, attentive and really familiar with all the offerings of the establishment. she was also fast and kept our glasses full, so we were happy.

This place just had great staff and a weird, cool feel to it. We loved the beers, my steak salad was just the right proportions of creamy goat cheese, tender marinated steak, flavor filled marinated tomato, croutons and fresh mixed greens. The Chalupas my husband ordered were very tasty and we both agreed it was an excellent find. We can recommend this tavern wholeheartedly, It is not a family place, much more of a old-style dark tavern, and it is on the second level above the Riverwalk, but neither of those things were a negative in our view.

Austin, Texas
“Esquire Tavern”
Reviewed August 9, 2013

The bartender was really nice, but the food was just okay and the fried pickles were a bit soggy. The bathrooms were awesome, but the stalls were pretty much in the dark which was kind of awkward. I would have liked it better as a night time thing as the drink options seemed better then the food.

Dallas, Texas
“English Pub....In spirit - Food, not really thankfully!! Check em' out”
Reviewed August 9, 2013

The location of this restaurant is the oldest bar San Antonio. Definitely has the English Pub feel down to the furniture - the stuffed animals through out are quite interesting. A bit more light would be nice...but I guess they are keeping that British gloom vibe going.

The menu is not English pub in my opinion with exception of the fish sandwich with (chips) french fries. The red empanada was a surprise but should be expected given the locale. The variety of burgers are very good. They hand-cut their fries and make their condiments. The ketchup is a bit sweet for my taste. Overall, we had a good dining experience and service was spot on.