“reasonable, delicious, wonderful atmosphere”
Review of Esquire Tavern

Esquire Tavern
Ranked #23 of 4,692 Restaurants in San Antonio
Cuisines: Gastropub, Brew Pub
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: St. Mary
Transit: Conveniently located in downtown on the San Antonio River, The Esquire Tavern is within walking distance from most major hotels. In addition, The Esquire is serviced by the Yellow Line Downtown Trolley conveniently located at the corner of Commerce and St. Mary’s fifty feet from our front door.
Description: One of the Top 25 Bars in America, The Esquire Tavern opened in 1933 to celebrate the end of Prohibition - a beloved San Antonio watering hole ever since. When it comes to choosing the best Riverwalk bars to spend your time, atmosphere certainly matters. Our legendary establishment is the quintessential downtown bar: dark, cool, redolent with history, and serving cold beer, swanky cocktails, and excellent food. Don't believe us? Step right up and sink your teeth into some handmade SA comfort food including Organic Sirloin Burgers, Crispy Chile Salted Fries, Big Red Empanadas, and Fried Apple Pie with Bourbon Carmel Sauce made from scratch! Now that you trust us a bit more....feel free to stay a while and enjoy hand crafted cocktails using the best of spirits and freshest of juices from the Margarita to the Moscow Mule. Beer lovers, indulge with over 10 Texas/regional brews on tap and enjoy the ice cold bottled beers you love.
Reviewed July 1, 2013

The Esquire has very limited balcony seating outside over looking the Riverwalk but has a lot of room inside that can accommodate large groups. The two of us were there for a quiet evening meal and were fortunate enough to get one of the small tables on the balcony overlooking the Riverwalk. The meal--steak and dessert--was outstanding and both the steak and accompanying wine were reasonably priced. Service was very slow due to the large crowd--there were a lot of teachers in town for a convention--but we had a pleasant time watching the activity on the Riverwalk below and the overworked waiters maintained their cool and decorum throughout. This is a spot that provides a place for the client who wants peace and quiet as well as for those who want noise and revelry.

There are newer reviews for Esquire Tavern

Reviewed June 26, 2013

I arrived in San Antonio at 5PM for a business conference, and I wanted to eat at a no frills place because I was too tired to get dolled up for dinner. I originally planned to try another place , but upon seeing the prices, I moved right along next door to the Esquire Tavern. Esquire Tavern is the oldest bar in San Antonio. It has a trendy, steam-punk atmosphere with textured wallpaper, Edison light bulbs, and interesting oddities and artwork. The wait staff are extremely loyal experts to the menu. The cocktails were well thought out, and the beer list is phenomenal with many Texas brews. My meal was reasonably priced and DELICIOUS. I had an organic bison burger with pickled cauliflower and carrots....YUMMY. My friend had an 8 ounce steak, which was more like a HUGE 16 oz. steak. Everything on the menu is a originally thought out, healthy masterpiece. I would HIGHLY recommend this gem on the Riverwalk.

Reviewed June 26, 2013

My husband and I were looking for a place to eat and stumbled upon this place. We entered from the Riverwalk and were very lucky to get a table. The bar is very long and one of the oldest. Place has the feel of being old - our waiter was fantastic, very attentive and had great suggestions - we had the burgers - very tasty. Loved the fries with the special sauce - secret ingredient - cumin. Everything is fixed from scratch so don't be in a hurry. With that being said, our waiter took off our basket of fries because they were not delivered with our burgers. We would recommend this place.

Reviewed June 19, 2013

Walking into this bar from the front, you would never expect such a wonderful meal! It is an old fashioned bar which is great but do yourself a favor and try to atchison a table outside overlooking the river! It is a great view! We went for lunch and the food was amazing! Do not leave without sampling the deviled eggs and fried pickles. We were there at lunch time and also enjoyed the hangar steak and pickled beet salad! Service was excellent. My only regret was that they were out of the Bloody Maria shrimp cocktail! Would definitely go again!

Reviewed June 16, 2013

The Esquire Tavern is on River Walk, but a little beyond the heavily congested areas. Entering the tavern, my initial bias was that this looked like a great place to have a beer, but would probably have a generic bar menu. The current owner has restored the tavern to reflect it’s history dating back to immediately after prohibition. The decor is dark wood on the floors, bar and booths with a dark red wallpaper that seems period-appropriate. There is also collection of taxidermy around the tavern. All of this is under a decorative tin ceiling.

But enough with aesthetics, we came here for the food. And this is where the Esquire gave us a very pleasant surprise. Three words: “Big Red Empanada” - tender pieces of braised short ribs inside of a puff pastry and topped with chimichurri, salsa verde, sour cream and cilantro. This is the best entree that I have had in quite some time. In addition to several appetizers, our table also ordered and shared the empanada, the bison burger, a beer-batter shrimp toast served with pepper jelly and goat cheese, and the hanger steak sandwich. Although I am partial to the empanada, I would have been happy with any of the entrees at our table. The consensus from our group is this was our best meal during our week in San Antonio.

I look forward to visiting the Esquire Tavern on future visits to San Antonio.