“Excellent, perfect!”

Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: St. Mary
Transit: Conveniently located in downtown on the San Antonio River, The Esquire Tavern is within walking distance from most major hotels. In addition, The Esquire is serviced by the Yellow Line Downtown Trolley conveniently located at the corner of Commerce and St. Mary’s fifty feet from our front door.
Description: One of the Top 25 Bars in America, The Esquire Tavern opened in 1933 to celebrate the end of Prohibition - a beloved San Antonio watering hole ever since. When it comes to choosing the best Riverwalk bars to spend your time, atmosphere certainly matters. Our legendary establishment is the quintessential downtown bar: dark, cool, redolent with history, and serving cold beer, swanky cocktails, and excellent food. Don't believe us? Step right up and sink your teeth into some handmade SA comfort food including Organic Sirloin Burgers, Crispy Chile Salted Fries, Big Red Empanadas, and Fried Apple Pie with Bourbon Carmel Sauce made from scratch! Now that you trust us a bit more....feel free to stay a while and enjoy hand crafted cocktails using the best of spirits and freshest of juices from the Margarita to the Moscow Mule. Beer lovers, indulge with over 10 Texas/regional brews on tap and enjoy the ice cold bottled beers you love.
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Had my little wedding reception there and everything went perfect! I had been in contact with the manager, John, and he was so nice and accommodating with our small budget. The food was amazing. We even got complimentary champagne for my new husband and myself. Everything went smoothly. I couldn't have asked for a more perfect day. I would definitely recommend stopping by here for a drink or dinner!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,146)

Reviewed April 8, 2013

My husband and I went to Esquire Tavern for a quick dinner before a show at the Majestic Theater. It was a beautiful day, and we grabbed one of the 4 tables on a small balcony overlooking the river. I had to go inside to get a waiter's attention, but once they came the service was friendly and courteous. They have a wide variety of cocktails on the menu, along with good selection of food at a very good price for a restaurant on the river. Our food came very quickly, and both the shrimp sandwich and chile rellenos were tasty (though the chile rellenos had a tomato sauce and cheese on top which reminded me more of Italian than Mexican). Inside it was rather dark but seemed cozy. The bar was the longest I've seen.

Reviewed April 4, 2013

This bar/eatery is hands down the coolest place on the RiverWalk. It's got that old moldy smell to it... gas to electric bare bulb light fixtures... a taxidermist's heaven with fox, turkey and a few other furry friends hanging around. Drinks are old school... try a 'Side-Car' (my fav).. and the menu is killer ! hello!!! fried pickles and beets !! woohoo ! oh and VERY inexpensive

Reviewed March 26, 2013

Oldest bar on the Riverwalk. Long wood bar inside with a couple of tv's. Good menu with craft cocktails. A craft cocktail is all handmade with no mixes. Pretty good place to stop and have a snack and a couple of drinks.
It must be family friendly because there a lot of children inside the bar with mom and dad.

Reviewed March 24, 2013

Our hotel room was directly across the river from this bar and we noticed it was always busy. We popped in for lunch on day and it was fantastic. The menu has great cocktails to choose from and the bartenders know what they are doing. Food was fantastic too. Glad we stopped in.