“Excellent drinks”

Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: St. Mary
Transit: Conveniently located in downtown on the San Antonio River, The Esquire Tavern is within walking distance from most major hotels. In addition, The Esquire is serviced by the Yellow Line Downtown Trolley conveniently located at the corner of Commerce and St. Mary’s fifty feet from our front door.
Description: One of the Top 25 Bars in America, The Esquire Tavern opened in 1933 to celebrate the end of Prohibition - a beloved San Antonio watering hole ever since. When it comes to choosing the best Riverwalk bars to spend your time, atmosphere certainly matters. Our legendary establishment is the quintessential downtown bar: dark, cool, redolent with history, and serving cold beer, swanky cocktails, and excellent food. Don't believe us? Step right up and sink your teeth into some handmade SA comfort food including Organic Sirloin Burgers, Crispy Chile Salted Fries, Big Red Empanadas, and Fried Apple Pie with Bourbon Carmel Sauce made from scratch! Now that you trust us a bit more....feel free to stay a while and enjoy hand crafted cocktails using the best of spirits and freshest of juices from the Margarita to the Moscow Mule. Beer lovers, indulge with over 10 Texas/regional brews on tap and enjoy the ice cold bottled beers you love.
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Lots of cocktails on the menu - especially from the 50's............great selection. I had the bison burger - was a little on the salty side - but good. My friends enjoyed their entrees - a mix of everything on the menu - old style favorites with a twist. Definately go for the dirnks and atmosphere

Reviewed January 19, 2013

This is a terrific place to relax, have a cocktail. I saw hard boiled eggs on the menu and I knew I was in a good place. Staff was terrific, fun bartenders, The food was very good, I recommend the bison burger.
There was a band playing one night, and I went back 2 other times! Great liqour offerings, and a really cool coktail menu.

Reviewed January 12, 2013 via mobile

Loved the atmosphere, and the service was great. From there it went down hill for us, we started with fried pickles, the fried part was ok but the pickles were bad, maybe homemade, just tasted strange and not pleasing. My wife got the sirloin burger and I had the bison burger both with chilli salt fries, salt was right, they seemed to be saltier than McDs. The ketchup was home made and IMO and my wifes gross, I asked for some Heinz, no luck. The sirloin burger was too "gamey" for her otherwise it may have been ok. My bison burger the meat was the only good part, there were some weird onions on it and sauce on the burger that didn't seem to belong on a burger.

I would highly suggest just drinking at this bar, the food experience was disappointedly lackluster, I really didn't think you could screw up bar food but this place sure does it.

Reviewed January 11, 2013

Even though it was a crowded Friday night during the holidays, the bartender himself cleared tables as needed, acted as waiter to tables and the bar, and really made us feel welcome. Candlelit, historic, and fun.

Reviewed January 10, 2013

This place was recommended to me by my hotel and I was impressed. The bar is "old" but did not smell old. The service was great and the drinks were very well made. I had a burger and it was outstanding. I definitely recommend this place and will return next time in San Antonio!