“We loved it and we will be back! Five star treatment at affordable rates!”

Fairfield Inn & Suites San Antonio Downtown/Alamo Plaza
Ranked #58 of 355 Hotels in San Antonio
Charlottesville, Virginia
“We loved it and we will be back! Five star treatment at affordable rates!”
Reviewed September 3, 2011

We cannot say enough about how well we were treated at this beautiful new hotel! Every single staff member went out of their way to make us feel comfortable, and to ensure that we had everything that we needed at all times. We were attending a convention and found the location perfect for walking to the Henry B. Gonzalez Convention Center, the Riverwalk, the Alamo, the Rivercenter Mall - anywhere we wanted to go in downtown San Antonio. The (included) breakfast was hearty - waffles, yogurt, fruit, bagels, english muffins, eggs, egg sandwiches, etc. We very much enjoyed the pool and hot tub - the pool area is brilliantly situated so that we could enjoy either sun or shade at any time. The rooms are quiet - ours was near both the ice/vending and the elevators, but we were never bothered by any noise at all. Again - the facilities are superb, and the staff is even better! We will definitely stay here the next time we are in San Antonio!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank CowboysFan123

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed August 21, 2011

If you are looking for a decent hotel well located for visiting the Alamo and Riverwalk at half the price of Riverwalk properties, then this Fairfield is a good choice. The hotel is no frills. Despite our four night stay, we could not even get a fridge for the room. Hotel is new and service kinks still need to be worked out. Front desk staff came across as inexperienced. We continued to be woke by cleaning staff early each morning after repeated requests for a "do not disturb" sign were forgotten/ignored. Could go on with other incidents, but hopefully the hotel will work the service problems out as the facility itself is a good choice at this price point.

Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Fort Drum, New York
Reviewed August 20, 2011

We got off course on our trip and ended up 3 hours behind. I called the hotel directly. Was assured that our rooms would be waiting. Arrived at the hotel around 4 am. We booked 2 king rooms and requested a rollaway since that's all that was available at the time of booking. There was a little confusion at the desk but it was all straightened out. The rooms were clean. Bed slept like a dream. Staff was wonderful. We walked to the Alamo and back to the hotel before departing. Clerk advised that we would have been able to do a 2pm check out. Will keep that in mind for future tip.

There was a discrepancy with valet parking price (optional) but I am Hoping to get that straightened out.

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank AMDubII
Fort Myers, Florida
Reviewed August 2, 2011

Brand new hotel that just opened two weeks ago. Everything was very nice and the location is great. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Not much is needed to be said about the rooms as they are brand new and beautiful. The beds are a little firm but that is a personal preference I guess.
Everything about this hotel was nice, but there were a couple of issues that need to be addressed. They are minor and I believe a result of the hotel being so new. They just need to get the newness worked out a bit. The first issue is that I had no bars of soap in my room. Shampoo and conditioner where there, but no face or body soap. Also there is a paper card in the bathroom that explains the "leave the towels on the floor if you want them washed..." policy and this card was water stained and looked bad. It should have been replaced. There were no trash bags in the trash cans, not really a problem but the can looked dirty from not having bags in them. One of the worst issues was when I got in the shower I found a used washcloth hanging over the shower curtain. These are all housekeeping issues and I am sure that these will be worked out as the crew becomes familiar with what they should be doing. Forgiven this time and I hope on my next trip these will be resolved.
One other new hotel issue was that I went ot the "Market Place" to get an ice cream and found that all the ice cream was melted in the freezer. I notified the front desk and they thanked me an apologized , saying they would address the issue. I assume they did because all the frozen items were melted or thawed and could be a major health issue.
All of the above said this is still a very, very nice business or family vacation near the Alamo and Riverwalk. I would highly recommend this hotel and I am sure that all the issues mentioned above will be remedied.
One last note, I am not sure if you can self park here or not. I thought when I made the reservation that it said free parking, but at check in the only option seemed to be valet parking at $21/night. There may be self parking, but there was no indication of it and it was made to seem like valet was the only option. That is not so much a problem if valet is the only option as that is what you find in most city locations.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank badbullgator
Spartanburg, South Carolina
Reviewed July 26, 2011

This hotel is only 2 weeks old and it shows. The rooms still have a new smell. The hotel is very close to the Riverwalk and Alamo which makes walking easy.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business